The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

WHAT ABOUT AN INSTANT MESSAGING FEATURE FOR THE LOCAL?

*Cyberfluff*
post 14.Nov.2005, 07:55 PM
Post #16

Recently the message boards have been getting spammed periodically. I'm guessing this thread was just the handy place to talk about it at the time.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 17.Nov.2005, 11:20 AM
Post #17

Based on Mark Boy's suggestion, I set up a unofficial chat room on the irc.slashnet.org network.

Free IRC clients for Windows users:
(Both of these can also do instant messaging for AOL, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ.)
Gaim - Download it here

Trillian - Download it here

Shareware IRC client for Windows users:
(IRC only)
mIRC - Download it here

The mIRC page has a great introduction to IRC if you have never used it before.

Connection information:
Server: irc.slashnet.org
Port: 6667
Channel: #local

When you connect to IRC, if there is no place to set the channel in the connection information and you aren't able to find the channel list and join from there, just type:
/join #local

I can help anyone using Gaim and I can try to help with the others. Anybody that has trouble getting on can find me on ICQ as 299623335 and I will try to help.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 17.Nov.2005, 02:12 PM
Post #18

Mnemonic made it to the chat room OK and uses Trillian, so if you have problems getting in and are using Trillian, you might want to ask him. smile.gif
+
Aneud
post 21.Jan.2006, 06:23 PM
Post #19

Melanie, is this chatroom you had set up still there and more importantly, does anyone from here ever step in or am I downloading mIRC only to get addicted to trivia again? laugh.gif
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 21.Jan.2006, 06:53 PM
Post #20

Mnemonic pops in every so often. I idle there, just in case anyone ever shows up. =)
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 22.Jan.2006, 06:46 PM
Post #21

Anued and I spent about 2 hours chatting last night. It was loads of fun. [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/874.gif[/img]
+
Benzed
post 23.Jan.2006, 01:29 PM
Post #22

Just to say, not trying to steal your thunder or take away from this chatroom Melanie, but I figure only so many of us want to use IRC or similar when we already spend too much time on MSN or others like that :wink: :? so that´s what my topic in Antything Goes was about.
+
Aneud
post 23.Jan.2006, 01:34 PM
Post #23

Well what stops you from coming to say "hello" right now then Benzed? smile.gif
+
Andrew Robertson
post 23.Jan.2006, 04:04 PM
Post #24

Hello all,

Have down loaded Gaim and tried #local but it's a load of Germans who've never heard of the Local.se?

Anybody help me please?

Andrew xxx
+
Fredde
post 23.Jan.2006, 04:16 PM
Post #25

Andrew,

Make sure the IRC server you connect to is irc.slashnet.org as there are many independent IRC networks out there. Good luck.
+
Aneud
post 23.Jan.2006, 04:24 PM
Post #26

Now Fredde, you seem to know the theory but you're not there... :shock:
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 23.Jan.2006, 10:07 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Benzed)
Just to say, not trying to steal your thunder or take away from this chatroom Melanie, but I figure only so many of us want to use IRC or similar when we already spend too much time on MSN or others like that :wink: :? so that´s what my topic in Antything Goes was about.

Yep, I saw. You don't have to, dear. I'm not insulted if you don't. I'm glad Anued brought the thread back to life though. It's been busy in there all day now, and I figure some people will be happy with the decrease in chatty postings, so it's win-win. Link your contact information thread in this one, too?
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: