The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Opportunities for Practicing Swedish in Umeå

It's too bad everyone speaks English

*mlease*
post 14.Jun.2011, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Hey everyone, I just moved to Umeå and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on finding opportunities to speak and practice Swedish. It's certainly convenient that practically all Swedes speak English, but it makes it more difficult to actually learn the language! My thought when moving here was to try and find a language exchange program, but now that I see just how good everyone's English is here, I don't know if I'll find anyone who needs to practice it smile.gif.

Any help would be appreciated!
Go to the top of the page
+
Destis
post 17.Jun.2011, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Hej,
Yes, most people like to speak english while you like to speak swedish. But if your swedish will be better, they won't do it no longer. You can say that you like to speak swedish to the one you're talking to. Most swedish people appreciate it if you try it.
You can also following SFI-course or be a member of an association. Network is very important.

Mvh
Heico
+
Solith
post 18.Jun.2011, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Yup, Swedes love to practice their English!

I find that as I act with more confidence in my Swedish people reply more often. My first tentative attempts were met with an immediate change to English.

Perhaps try to find Swedish conversation groups (if you're not part of a course). There are some who meet in coffee shops simply to speak Swedish. Of course, you don't actually get any Swedes taking part, but it's good to hear other immigrants trying too.

Alternatively, set up a meetup group for this purpose. You could find there are loads of people struggling to find social ways of practicing Swedish. Perhaps start a Swedish book club, reading books in Swedish and discussing them in Swedish too.
+
byke
post 18.Jun.2011, 12:44 PM
Post #4

http://sweden.kcomposite.com/secret-code/
+
byke
post 18.Jun.2011, 01:00 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (byke @ 18.Jun.2011, 01:44 PM) *

streja says:November 5, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I’m Swedish with an English partner, and I really hate it when Swedes speak English to him. I actually tell them off if I am in the same room. It’s not like their English is that good, but as the previous poster said, maybe they think their Englis is excellent.
The weird thing si that my Swedish has become worse as I am a language person and adapt to whoever is speaking hehe.

HA HA HA ... PMSL
+
gplusa
post 18.Jun.2011, 02:02 PM
Post #6

It's not that difficult. If you start speaking Swedish, and hold fast with speaking Swedish during the conversation, then the average Swede will fold like a house of cards and follow your lead. You have to get tough with them.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: