The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »    Reply to this topic

2009 Ashes series (cricket)

England rejoice, Aussies weep

conboy
post 20.Jul.2009, 05:36 PM
Post #76

Nice for England to win one occasionally tongue.gif
The Aussies will no doubt be fit to be tied next time they meet the Nigels.
Go to the top of the page
+
Mzungu
post 20.Jul.2009, 05:40 PM
Post #77

QUOTE (Paddy @ 20.Jul.2009, 06:20 PM) *
How long till the football season starts??

Haha.. On cue,as normal..

*soon enough,let the white flannel boys have their day in the sun*

Excuse the hijack but seeing Paddy's surfaced,require his knowledgeable opinion:cough:

Is Levy next for a Lordship? After the Lord Mayors show comes the ****?

Businessman Sir Alan Sugar has taken his seat in the House of Lords as Baron Sugar of Clapton.BBC.
+
Paddy
post 20.Jul.2009, 05:57 PM
Post #78

They'll wait until the end of next season and then knight Sir Harry for services to sticking it up the Gooners, who are now without doubt a selling club!
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 20.Jul.2009, 06:48 PM
Post #79

Did I just hear the the Brits smashed the Aussies to a humiliating defeat... the ashes again...we are getting good thank God for that, otherwise I'd have to get my leg over on the Queen of Sweden...

laugh.gif
+
jack sprat
post 20.Jul.2009, 06:53 PM
Post #80

QUOTE (Plowbridge H. Broad @ 20.Jul.2009, 04:09 PM) *
You should have said. I watched it here. . http://ashes2009live.blogspot.com/2009/07/...ia-live_09.html

Have it live on a big screen,Sky 1,but couldnt sit watching that all day.
May watch a brief re-run of the lovely sound of falling Australian timber a little later.

Prefer to get on with other things, and just keep checking the text commentary which is far more entertaining, as its mixed in with a constant flood of hillarious texts, mostly taking the waters from our good friends down under,...speaking of which,...looking forward to see what R.H.has to say,...hope he hasnt fallen out of his boat... wink.gif
+
Benzed
post 20.Jul.2009, 07:53 PM
Post #81

I have to say, Warnie is a superb commentator. Very astute in his commentary on Hauritz and Swann in particular for obvious reasons, but so revealing in the methodology of working out a batsman's weakness and suckering him in over the course of several overs. Better still, he gives great anecdotes from behind the scenes, albeit possibly too revealing for Punter and some of the recently retired Aussie's liking. His observations yesterday about how modern cricketers are overly professional wimps who need to drink more was brilliant, particularly his point about only using the ice bath to keep his beer cold.

By the way, this Mitchell Johnson is shithouse. He's certainly not the new left arm messiah, more like a very naughty boy (who can bat a bit).
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 20.Jul.2009, 08:04 PM
Post #82

Spratty, thanks for your concern laugh.gif

We lost, shit happens... on to the next test.

BTW I was surprised that it has taken you so long to actually beat us at Lords. It must feel good to finally take advantage of your home ground advantage wink.gif
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 20.Jul.2009, 08:06 PM
Post #83

QUOTE (Paddy @ 20.Jul.2009, 06:20 PM) *
How long till the football season starts??

Talk about watching grass grow dry.gif
+
jack sprat
post 20.Jul.2009, 08:33 PM
Post #84

QUOTE (Benzed @ 20.Jul.2009, 07:53 PM) *
I have to say, Warnie is a superb commentator. Very astute in his commentary on Hauritz and Swann in particular for obvious reasons, but so revealing in the methodology of wor ... (show full quote)

Yes,I like Warnie,real good crack,speaks his mind.
Wonder why I get the distinct impression that he much prefers the British scene and the beer to down under... wink.gif
+
conboy
post 20.Jul.2009, 10:13 PM
Post #85

Are you casting aspersions on Australian beer ohmy.gif
+
jack sprat
post 20.Jul.2009, 10:20 PM
Post #86

A bit like their cricket team,..all promise but no punch.
Stronger and better tasting stuff comes out of the water taps down my way.
+
Pacey
post 20.Jul.2009, 10:48 PM
Post #87

QUOTE (Pacey @ 19.Jul.2009, 09:58 PM) *
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!! Perhaps that is what happend in the first test!!! I think tomorrow Aussies will fold for around 100 runs. This ... (show full quote)

Told you people!!! I should have put a wager!!
The Aussies are human again and now they should come back to Earth!! The pace attack which England has should rattle the Aussies up in Edgbaston. I remember the Ashes when England brought it home, to the place where it belongs, where a four pronged attack just whittles the Aussies.

Where are the Aussie army!! and what about the talk of snatching defeat from Victory!!
+
conboy
post 20.Jul.2009, 10:59 PM
Post #88

In all fairness bud you would want to beat them a good few years in a row before ye start giving them the finger. They kicked yere arses for 75 years before ye won a series in all fairness like... by the way edgbaston awaits rolleyes.gif
+
jack sprat
post 20.Jul.2009, 11:48 PM
Post #89

Not quite correct conboy,
Just happens to be the first time on this particular ground in 75 years.
Its played every second year over a series of 5 games, on various grounds.
Every second year the venue switches between Australia and England.
This particular ground is looked upon as the home of cricket and so has slightly greater significance.
Over approx.130 years I think, till the present time there have been various periods of dominance by both sides.
Overall I think the Aussies are just slightly ahead in series wins.
England won the last series at home four year ago but were well beaten down under two year back.
Australia have been considered World champions for the last few years.

Hope thats some help conboy.

There are also other shorter competitions and versions of the game involving the various cricketing nations.
+
jack sprat
post 31.Jul.2009, 02:01 PM
Post #90

The question now is,...
Are the Aussies dreams turning to Ashes, as Andy and Onions,(certainly knows his onions),cut thru the Aussie batting order like a knife thru hot butter?
+

12 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: