The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Did Sweden's haste in implementing 4G

Cause too many mistakes?

mångk
post 13.Sep.2012, 11:37 AM
Post #16

Yes Byke of course it is Swedens fault for being at the cutting edge rather than following and everybody knows Apple hates Sweden as much as you! In fact Apple delayed its launch until it was certain that it could select the bands that only Sweden did not have! wacko.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Snood
post 13.Sep.2012, 11:53 AM
Post #17

Early adopters are almost always left out in the cold. Look at the UK.

Railways were invented and developed in the UK. the result was a sprawling network of twisting and turning track which is completely unsuitable for high speed use. Other countries which industrialised later could plan better and allow for more space in towns.

Population expansion due to industrialisation happened in the UK earlier, that population needed housing... housing which was built, and still stands with poor insulation. Sweden, with it's very late industrialisation and cold climate ended up with far better building insulation standards. I think I read somewhere (honestly, I don't know if it's true) that the UK's building standards are now, what Sweden had in the 1930s

It's very rare that early adopters manage to keep up with those who pick up on the more mature tech.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Sep.2012, 11:55 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (byke @ 13.Sep.2012, 12:32 PM) *
Again, the question was ... has Sweden's early adoption of 4G set itself at a disadvantage?Germany, UK, Italy etc ... all started the process later.And as a partial result ... (show full quote)

Germany only has one operator on Band 3 T-mobile/telekom who also started with the 800 mhz band. Vodafone and O2 use only the 800 mhz band.

Perhaps you think that every telecom company in the world should have asked Apple when they were going to release a 4G phone and which band did Apple want them to adopt.

As Apple is the richest company in the world, I suppose that every other company/government should check with them before they make any infrastructure changes, especially Sweden so that you can buy the next apple must have and know that it will do everything it says on the box with no compatibility problems. cool.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Sep.2012, 12:08 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Snood @ 13.Sep.2012, 12:53 PM) *
Sweden, with it's very late industrialisation and cold climate ended up with far better building insulation standards. I think I read somewhere (honestly, I don't know ... (show full quote)

I watched a program on BBC TV last week about a heating problem in some new build housing association estates in Merseyside. They had a Swedish built heating system from NIBE which was supposed to save energy through heat recycling. In practice it did not work. NIBE said it did work and would have the claimed energy consumption figures "if installed correctly with proper insulation."

Problem was there was not enough insulation and heat was lost in the roof space. This is in houses built in 2010!
+
byke
post 13.Sep.2012, 01:13 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (mångk @ 13.Sep.2012, 12:37 PM) *
Yes Byke of course it is Swedens fault for being at the cutting edge rather than following and everybody knows Apple hates Sweden as much as you! In fact Apple delayed its ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 13.Sep.2012, 12:55 PM) *
Perhaps you think that every telecom company in the world should have asked Apple when they were going to release a 4G phone and which band did Apple want them to adopt. As Ap ... (show full quote)

I just wanted to clear this up with both of you.
It has very little to do with Apple, but in fact the chip supplier, Qualcom.
This is one of the largest suppliers of chips for mobile handsets which power devices like samsung to apple and so on. The difference being that a worldwide chip has been hard to design and implement given the current 4G LTE? different standards worldwide.

So this means if you buy a 4G LTE phone that works in Sweden at present, it has very little chance of working in the same manner in other countries (bit of a rip off, huh?)

I would be gutted if I bought a phone and it didn't function as advertised.
Or even worse a phone that didnt work outside the borders of the country I purchased it from.

And for much of the reason, this is in part why Apple have been late in deploying their 4G phones since the technology hasn't been able to accommodate all those little weird places that based their standards differently to those of large nations. Apple havent introduced NFC into their new phone either.

So blame Apple as much as you like, its no skin off my nose.
But ask yourself, since Samsung is the world largest supplier of Smartphones ... then why is Sweden having to Adapt its 4G networks? If you think its just for Apple, then you are fooling yourself.

As Snood pointed out, many early adopters of new technology find they have a standard which isn't compatible.
The same way in which electricity started to make its way to homes in the early 20th century with a whole host of different fittings and currents. Only to find all these standards didn't work as in their haste to be first, it led many early adopters to need to have to change their installation.
+
Lostaussie
post 13.Sep.2012, 01:55 PM
Post #21

Looks to me that band 3 has been selected as it will allow roaming in most countries, even Sweden next year. You get more bands if you by the CDMA version
CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)
+
AW1
post 13.Sep.2012, 02:05 PM
Post #22

Nothing to do with Sweden, but still worth a read.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/...g?newsfeed=true
+
mångk
post 13.Sep.2012, 02:09 PM
Post #23

Yes to a degree!

If one goes back to origins of 2G one will find out where the issues started.

It is not a case that Sweden is a 'different standard' as they are using the same standards as the rest of the non- US & Japan world!

Apple chooses which chipset to use and it is their choice that is leading to the problems!

A Qualcomm chipset (Snapdragon) is being used in the new Nokia Lumia 920. See: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone...specifications/

It caters for 800, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 bands and will function perfectly well in Sweden.

It is Apples choice of chipset that creates the problem because it caters for bands that are not available or are already dedicated. Apple could have chosen a chipset that caters also for the 2600 band which would have made it compatible with pretty much all of the LTE networks!

So the problem is that the band that it will function on in Sweden 2100 is dedicated 3G!
+
byke
post 13.Sep.2012, 03:03 PM
Post #24

It is not a case that Sweden is a 'different standard' as they are using the same standards as the rest of the non- US & Japan world!

biggrin.gif Oh bless, seriously you made me chuckle with that line.
"he's not dead, he just resting" laugh.gif

Apple chooses which chipset to use and it is their choice that is leading to the problems!

Again, yes it chooses ... from the most popular chip maker in the world.
And again, it chose a chip that suited the greatest number of users.

A Qualcomm chipset (Snapdragon) is being used in the new Nokia Lumia 920. See: http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone...specifications/

It caters for 800, 900, 1800, 2100, 2600 bands and will function perfectly well in Sweden.

Yes, but again ... where doesnt it work?

It is Apples choice of chipset that creates the problem because it caters for bands that are not available or are already dedicated. Apple could have chosen a chipset that caters also for the 2600 band which would have made it compatible with pretty much all of the LTE networks!

So the problem is that the band that it will function on in Sweden 2100 is dedicated 3G!

Exactly, putting the cart ahead of the horse.
+
AW1
post 13.Sep.2012, 03:45 PM
Post #25

From The Cult of Mac:

According to a new report from The Wall Street Journal, the next iPhone will indeed support LTE on certain networks in Europe and Asia:
Apple Inc.’s next iPhone will work on the fastest wireless networks around the world—including in the U.S., Europe and Asia—though it is unlikely to be available on every carrier, people familiar with the matter said.
The technical compatibility with so-called LTE networks removes a competitive danger for Apple and gives carriers a chance to sell their fastest data services to Apple’s base of iPhone customers.
It’s hard to support multiple LTE networks internationally due to the fragmented nature of the technology. There’s an estimated 36 different LTE bands around the world that a true ‘world phone’ would have to support. While The Journal doesn’t expect the iPhone 5 to support all of these bands, the device is expected to use LTE on many more networks than AT&T and Verizon in the states.
The third-gen iPad is only compatible with LTE networks in the U.S. and Canada. Apple indicated that it wanted to test the waters with LTE earlier this year, and now that LTE is more developed, it looks like Apple is ready to pull the trigger with the iPhone 5.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Sep.2012, 03:46 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (byke @ 13.Sep.2012, 04:03 PM) *
Yes, but again ... where doesnt it work?. .

If you look at this list provided earlier the Lumina works everywhere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Operating Frequency
Bands

GSM 850
GSM 900
GSM 1800
GSM 1900
WCDMA Band V (850)
WCDMA Band VIII (900)
WCDMA Band II (1900)
WCDMA Band I (2100)
LTE 800
LTE 900
LTE 1800
LTE 2100
LTE 2600

Data Network

HSPA+ (3G)
EDGE/EGPRS (2G)
FD-LTE (4G)
HSUPA (3G)
GSM (2G)
HSDPA (3G)
WCDMA (3G)
Dual Transfer Mode (2G)

Data speed - Upload

HSUPA Cat 6 - 5.76 Mbit/s
LTE Cat 3 - 50 Mbit/s

Data speed - Download

EGPRS MSC 12 - 236.8 kbit/s
HSDPA Cat 24 - 42.2 Mbit/s
LTE Cat 3 - 100 Mbit/s

Processor
Processor name

Snapdragon™ S4
Processor type

Dual-core 1.5Ghz

Dual-core 1.5Gh

Time to ditch your iPhone and move to windows mobile!
+
mångk
post 13.Sep.2012, 03:54 PM
Post #27

Oh bless, seriously you made me chuckle with that line."he's not dead, he just resting" Again, yes it chooses ... from the most popular chip maker in the worl ... (show full quote)

Yes Trow, the 2600 band in the US is dedicated to the HAARP programs Hurricane and earthquake making program! Apple is a part of the conspiracy and will use their device to take the program worldwide in the future in an attempt to get JA! tongue.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 13.Sep.2012, 03:58 PM
Post #28

biggrin.gif Oh bless, seriously you made me chuckle with that line.. "he's not dead, he just resting" laugh.gif

Well, he is right. It is the same standard, just different frequencies. Once the operators clear band 3 from GSM traffic they can use the frequency. They don't need to build a new network, just open up the frequency.
+
Snood
post 13.Sep.2012, 03:59 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 13.Sep.2012, 03:46 PM) *
Time to ditch your iPhone and move to windows mobile!

It hasn't been called windows mobile for a long time. it's now "Windows Phone", a confusing name for some I think actually.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Sep.2012, 04:02 PM
Post #30

As there are windows 8 tablets coming out using the same OS as on the phones it is really still windows mobile
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: