The Local _ Legal _ Baffling Citizenship Case!

Posted by: PHobbes 12.Sep.2016, 12:24 PM

Hello All,

I'm a complete newcomer here, but it seems like a good place to start looking for help. I'm in need of a good citizenship lawyer in Sweden, as I'm currently involved in what has become a very weird and protracted predicament.

I'll be as brief as possible in laying out what's going on. It's quite baffling.

I was born in the US in 1980, but my mother was, and still is, a Swedish citizen. In 2005 I contacted the Migrationsverket to see about obtaining Swedish citizenship, as I learned that dual-nationality was now recognized between the two countries (that began in 2001 I believe). I was told to contact my local Swedish consulate, which was Seattle at the time.

I went to the consulate, went through all the protocols, paperwork, and interviews, and in September 2005 I was issued a Swedish passport, from the Generalkonsulat Los Angeles. The cut-off age to claim citizenship is 22 normally, but I was told by the consul to make the application anyway, as sometimes they make exceptions if a connection can be proven (I have spent a lot of time in Sweden visiting family, burying grandparents, etc.). All in all it was a great experience, the people at the consulate were helpful and friendly.

Fast forward to August 2015. My Swedish passport is due to expire in a month. I live in the UK now, where I have been for 8 years (long story involving a girl, of course). I take a quick trip to Stockholm to see some family, and booked myself a passport renewal appointment at the Bergsgatan police station. Went in, filled out the paperwork, paid the fee, and they said the new passport would be sent to London where I could pick it up at the embassy.

But instead of the passport, I get an email a few days later saying, in short, that the application has been denied, and I am not a Swedish citizen. This began a countless stream of emails and letters to any and all parties over the past year (London embassy, Washington embassy, Migrationsverket, Seattle Consulate, police, you name it) in hopes of someone seeing the sense in this. I am now on my 3rd appeal to the Migration Court. Their argument, and the wall I'm banging my head on, is that I lost my Swedish citizenship at 22, and I have not shown 'solidarity' with Sweden.

If I lost citizenship at 22, then how/why was I issued a passport at 25?!? And if my initial application was approved and deemed acceptable, and led to me obtaining a passport, I should not have to reprove my 'solidarity' each time surely.

Anyway, that is the general gist of things. If you've read this far, I sincerely thank you. I'm still living and working in the UK, though I have had to put my secondary school teaching career on hold. I don't have a valid passport, I can't leave the country, so I'm in some kind of weird limbo. I did try and work with one attorney who was just as bewildered about the case as I am, and said it should be open/shut, but he made little effort to help me along.

My mother was able to dig up all the original documents of my application from the Riksarkiv on a recent trip to Sweden to help with the case (the police couldn't be bothered to look I guess). I am still registered with the tax Skatteverket as a citizen as well.

If anyone can recommend a decent attorney, I'm sure I can get this straightened out. Thanks again for reading, sorry to be so long-winded. I'll keep this board updated with how it progresses.

All the best,
Phil

Posted by: Scottish 12.Sep.2016, 01:51 PM

QUOTE (bubblegum_vampire @ 12.Sep.2016, 04:24 AM) *
My interview with the Swedish embassy in DC is coming up this week, and they requested more information. Specifically, they sent me an email with a link to a page where I am supposed to upload photos of my Swedish partner's passport/ driver's license, plus pictures of flight tickets. However, somehow the email has completely disappeared from my inbox! These pictures need to be uploaded before my interview, and I'm completely panicking. Does anyone have the link to that picture upload page?? I can't find it anywhere, Please help!

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 12.Sep.2016, 01:24 PM) *
Hello All,

All the best,
Phil

try this out: http://advokatstaifo.se/medarbetare .Their contacts is there as well. Ask for YADID.

Posted by: wallace1837 12.Sep.2016, 01:58 PM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 12.Sep.2016, 12:24 PM) *

Get your US passport, that will at least solve the limbo part.

Posted by: Svedallas 12.Sep.2016, 10:59 PM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 12.Sep.2016, 01:24 PM) *
Hello All,

All the best,
Phil

I do remember the citizenship laws have been amended a few times. And, sometimes there could be a small clause that could have caused your citizenship to be in error?

i.e.
1. If your mother got citizenship after you were born
2. If you have close ties to Sweden - immediate relative - brother, sister, etc.
3. I always thought cut off was 18 or 20...?

Sounds to me - you missed the cut off age. But then - if your mother is a native. Then it should be a right?! In any case, there must be a reason - as to be declined is based on a changed clause - as are getting stricter with the application process, and rules...

This sounds like a very complicated case (not a Local Forum discussion topic) - surely the US Embassy can direct you with a Swedish lawyer in the US?

Good luck.

Posted by: PHobbes 13.Sep.2016, 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 12.Sep.2016, 10:59 PM) *

i.e.
1. If your mother got citizenship after you were born
3. I always thought cut off was 18 or 20...?

Good luck.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. Yes, it is a much too complicated case to hash out on a message board. I'm in real need of a professional at the moment.

I think my main point is that I went through the proper channels and procedures to get my passport and citizenship. It was approved, a passport was issued. If they did change a clause a few years later, surely they cannot annul the citizenships that were issued before? That would put so many peoples' lives and livelihoods in jeopardy, as it has mine. I cannot begin my career in the place I've lived for the past 8 years as a result. That is not something to play around with it seems to me. My mother is a native, by the way, born and raised in Sweden and has never changed her citizenship.

What I have gathered from my correspondence between the police, the migrationsverket, the embassies, and other agencies, is that there is no fluid communication between them. One hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll contact the attorney suggested and hope for the best.

Posted by: PHobbes 13.Sep.2016, 08:15 AM

I did miss the cutoff, age 22. But was told when I inquired to apply anyway. They seem to have made an exception, hence getting a passport at 25. Nonetheless, once approved, it's not the kind of thing you can just take back. Citizenship is such a fundamental aspect of a person's life, not something to give and take back willy nilly.

Posted by: Svedallas 13.Sep.2016, 09:23 AM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 13.Sep.2016, 09:15 AM) *

But I am no expert in this - its just what is stated...

Posted by: LLHope 13.Sep.2016, 08:39 PM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 13.Sep.2016, 07:15 AM) *
QUOTE (Svedallas @ 13.Sep.2016, 08:23 AM) *
Unfortunately, if they had wrongfully issued - they have a right to revoke. They are pretty strict with the age thing. Also, if you have never lived in Sweden or been a resident - that makes it hard for them to see any ties. But I am no expert in this - its just what is stated...
According to Swedish law, Swedish citizenship cannot be withdrawn if it results in the person becoming stateless. In addition to that, it cannot be withdrawn if the person is currently or has been resident in Sweden. This applies even if the citizenship was obtained with incorrect/false information.

Unfortunately for OP, it sounds like citizenship was withdrawn because it was granted incorrectly (over 22) and OP has never been resident in Sweden. In that instance it is possible.

The question is whether or not there exists documentation that withdraws the citizenship, or whether the record of citizenship was not propagated correctly into the various systems and OP indeed has citizenship.

You could check with Skatteverket to see if you are registered as a Swedish citizen living abroad, one assumes that you indeed have the personal number. After-all you did receive one of the last few 10yr Swedish passports issued biggrin.gif

Posted by: hatim 14.Sep.2016, 06:31 AM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 12.Sep.2016, 01:24 PM) *

All the best,
Phil

May I ask why you want to be a Swedish citizen? You have clearly shown no interest in living in Sweden.

You can still do so by living (working) here for some time on work permit (while paying taxes and contributing to this country)

Posted by: Svedallas 14.Sep.2016, 11:15 AM

QUOTE (hatim @ 14.Sep.2016, 07:31 AM) *

I have to agree.

You have spent more time in the UK than Sweden, why not get a UK passport instead? Your eligibility is more UK - since you have never lived in Sweden. Is there a point fighting to get Swedish citizenship when you can get one of the country where you have resided for the past 8 years?

Makes more sense to do so.

Posted by: PHobbes 14.Sep.2016, 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 14.Sep.2016, 11:15 AM) *
I have to agree.

Makes more sense to do so.

Thanks for the contributions. I suppose from the outside it may seem questionable why I would indeed want to have Swedish citizenship if I'm living in the UK. Suffice it to say that from the outset I had full intentions of living, studying, and working in Sweden. Life however sometimes has different plans in mind.

Regardless, it is a fundamental aspect of my current life, and one which I want to keep. I still have very close ties with my family there, and would never rule out the possibility of eventually ending up there.

It's inconceivable to me that something so fundamental like citizenship can simply be issued and withdrawn so flippantly, without warning. It seems to me that once a passport is issued the deal is done, the time for asking questions is over, a decision has been made. What I do with my life after that is up to me.

I realise that I missed the cut-off age when I initially applied. That was understood from the beginning. However, I acted according to the advise and instructions from the Swedish consulate, and I guess an exception was made. But once the decision was made, it seems incredibly irresponsible to take it back, even if someone years later thinks it was a mistake.

If I lost my citizenship at 22, then how or why was I issued a passport at 25? Do they make a habit of giving passports to non-citizens? I am still registered with the Skatteverket as well.

Thanks again for the conversation. I am trying to get my head around what's going on here, and I appreciate the input. It's really quite a strange situation to be in! Hopefully the advocate recommended earlier can provide some help.

Posted by: Svedallas 14.Sep.2016, 02:18 PM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 14.Sep.2016, 02:08 PM) *

If you did know the cut off was 22 - and they were wrong to issue at 25. Why were you not honest with the "error" from the start? Sometimes, you can get rewarded if there is a mistake...
Also, that communication would have been your proof that it was still okay to claim citizenship after the cut off age.

Did you apply for UK residency in the UK? If so you could have a right to UK citizenship, and apply to be a EU resident in Sweden - which is still valid until Brexit.

Indeed it is a rather complex situation. Nevertheless. Good luck with your situation!

Posted by: Scottish 14.Sep.2016, 04:01 PM

From what I read, i think he was very open from the on set that he was above 25 years of year but he got a go-ahead from the consular. Here is what he wrote "The cut-off age to claim citizenship is 22 normally, but I was told by the consul to make the application anyway, as sometimes they make exceptions if a connection can be proven (I have spent a lot of time in Sweden visiting family, burying grandparents, etc.). All in all it was a great experience, the people at the consulate were helpful and friendly."

From it all, I think there is an error of miscommunication somewhere than needs to be resolved some way.

Posted by: LLHope 14.Sep.2016, 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Scottish @ 14.Sep.2016, 03:01 PM) *
It could be many things, for example, if the passport was withdrawn then where was OP when it was? In the UK, how would Migrationsverket know OPs current address to send something? Maybe a letter went missing in the post somewhere. Alternatively it could be some confusion in integrations between systems! Most obvious answer is to order from Skatteverket your "Personbevis för Pass" as a Swedish Citizen living abroad wanting to renew the passport, see what they/it says then.

Posted by: PHobbes 17.Sep.2016, 09:58 AM

QUOTE (LLHope @ 14.Sep.2016, 10:59 PM) *

Thanks very much, that's not a suggestion I've come across yet!

To be clear, and sorry if I left the details hazy, I was very upfront from the outset about my age, the consular encouraged me to apply, and the application was handled by him.

What I believe happened is that there was an internal mix up when the Los Angeles Generalkonsulat closed, which is the one that handled my application. Who knows, but I don't believe I ended up in the centralized system somehow, despite being issued a person # and a passport.

It wasn't really that the passport was withdrawn, they simply denied my application to renew it when I went to Stockholm to do so last year. I contacted migration to ask what the deal was, and someone advised me to make a Declaration of Citizenship, which I did through the London Embassy. This was denied, so I appealed. And I'm still appealing...

I don't know if I followed the correct protocol here, but it was what I was instructed to do. This is where an attorney could be useful. The solution could in fact (I hope!) be very simple.

I already went through the whole process of proving my parentage, connection with Sweden, etc. when I was 25 with the consular. It was all approved, and a passport was issued. I don't see why I have to prove that again, or put it up for question again after it's all been approved?

Posted by: PHobbes 17.Sep.2016, 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 14.Sep.2016, 02:18 PM) *

I've looked into that of course. Unfortunately I cannot apply for residency without an in-date EU passport... Maddening!

Thanks a lot, hopefully I'll get this sorted, and have some kind of explanation.

Posted by: Scottish 4.Nov.2016, 12:35 PM

@PHobbes. so how it is going with you case?

Posted by: MIKEJT111 22.Dec.2016, 08:28 PM

tough situation. you could apply for British citizenship and then move here to Sweden before BREXIT happens. Then do your five years and become a citizen that way. You must have a personnummer if you had a passport which is an advantage over most when they move here from within the EU. Just a thought!

Posted by: JLee 27.Mar.2018, 12:34 PM

Hi, my partner is in a very similar situation to you. He was issued a Swedish passport at 24 and now 10 years later it has been refused on the grounds of insufficient cohabitation in Sweden under the age of 22. Did you get your Swedish passport renewed eventually? Thanks

Posted by: Phafin 12.Oct.2018, 08:17 PM

Another guy in your situation, let me know if you found a good lawyer. I’m in Denmark and I work in shipping, I leave the country every day. Slightly panicking about Swedish incompetence right now.

Posted by: Cedar2 13.Oct.2018, 09:34 PM

Surely, a change in Law can't affect the old case. The main principle is that the Law can't work backwards.
The truth and funny is; skattvarket and immigration have conflicting interpretation of the Law, it is something difficult for a lay person to understand.

Posted by: PHobbes 29.Oct.2018, 10:48 AM

Hello All,

Wow, it's been a couple of years since I started this topic, and it seems to have gotten a few views. Apologies for not responding earlier but I have been embroiled in trying to find a way out of this mess.

I have now worked with 2 attorneys, both specialists in citizenship law, and spent quite a lot of money... to no avail.

The first attorney's idea was to try reapplying for my passport at the London Embassy, and then when that was rejected, we could start another appeals process. Well, I had to fight my corner at the Embassy just to submit the application. They kept insisting that I had lost my citizenship when I was 22, to which I held up my passport pointing to the fact that it was clearly issued when I was 25 after I had gone through the process of regaining it, etc etc.

I got the application submitted in the end, and of course it was rejected, so I thought finally an appeal will be made by a specialist attorney who will be able argue with knowledge of the law. Unfortunately it made no difference as it wasn't even deemed worthy of going to the court of appeals itself.

I then had a minor freakout, and my attorney admitted she had run out of ideas. Ok, fine... (but not really fine). However, she put me in touch with the Centrum for rattvisa, who recommended I contact one of their former attorneys, which I did. He seemed positive after hearing the details of my case, and agreed to take over the appeal. Long story short, his appeal came to nought, and again wasn't even taken to the court of appeals. His next advice was to start a civil litigation case against the passport officials, and so I left it off, not having endless stores of cash to burn on a civil litigation suit against a government agency.

The one positive bit of noise I've had from a Swedish official came from the Minister of Justice, who after hearing about my case, assured me in writing that citizenship cannot be withheld or revoked, even if it is granted by mistake. And that is precisely what the Migrationsverket claims, that I was mistakenly granted citizenship and a passport when I applied for them in 2005. But it's all good and well saying a certain thing, but it's another thing trying to get anyone to act on it!

So I seem to be stuck at an impasse. A couple years on and I'm exactly in the same place, and have no idea how to proceed. If legal professionals can't come up with any good ideas, what chance have I to come up with anything on my own?

It's obviously been a disaster for my professional and personal lives, but I won't go into all that. I'm not hoping to get anything by sharing this, I have no political motive or any other agenda, I'm just putting it out there to show what I see as the pure negligence and incompetence on the part of public offices, in my experience.

Thanks for reading, and again, apologies for not updating sooner for those who asked.

All the best,
PH

Posted by: Cedar2 2.Nov.2018, 08:45 PM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 29.Oct.2018, 11:48 AM) *
Hello All,

All the best,
PH

I'm sorry for you. Swedish offices has a lot of incompetent officers. I'm sure that you were given a passport by mistake but that wasn't your problem and nullifying it is as well amounts to breaking the Law since there is no legal provision that allows them to revoke a citizenship.
Lawyers may not help you so much since the Law here is mostly administrative. Lawyers mostly work as secretaries, they don't advocate, they only write to request.
I'm not sure If I have any advice for you since you have been through all possible ways, but it is something sad. I hope you get a way through this.

Posted by: Svedallas 2.Nov.2018, 11:29 PM

QUOTE (PHobbes @ 29.Oct.2018, 10:48 AM) *
Hello All,

All the best,
PH

You and your mother had 22 years to get your citizenship sorted out.
Don't blame Sweden for your misfortune.

The law is pretty standard.
You were very ver lucky that they had issued in error - even though you had well passed the timeline to claim it.

In summary. Dont blame Sweden for your problems. Blame yourself.

Posted by: wallace1837 3.Nov.2018, 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 2.Nov.2018, 11:29 PM) *
You and your mother had 22 years to get your citizenship sorted out.
Don't blame Sweden for your misfortune.

The law is pretty standard.

In summary. Dont blame Sweden for your problems. Blame yourself.

When Sweden does stupid things, blame Sweden. When Sweden makes a mistake, blame Sweden. When Sweden is incoherent, blame Sweden.

Should you ever trust Sweden after that, blame yourself... But for now, blame Sweden.

Posted by: Svedallas 3.Nov.2018, 10:07 AM

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 3.Nov.2018, 01:42 AM) *

Wallace you are not even Swedish in any way. You are a miserable dude battling a failed work permit.

Leave Sweden already, you're not wanted.

Posted by: Cedar2 3.Nov.2018, 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 3.Nov.2018, 12:29 AM) *
You and your mother had 22 years to get your citizenship sorted out.
Don't blame Sweden for your misfortune.

The law is pretty standard.

In summary. Dont blame Sweden for your problems. Blame yourself.

Since when did luck become a processional or policy? The best statement would be that, someone who issued him a passport was unprofessional and probably got a job because of nepotism.

Posted by: PHobbes 5.Nov.2018, 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 2.Nov.2018, 10:29 PM) *
You and your mother had 22 years to get your citizenship sorted out.
Don't blame Sweden for your misfortune.

The law is pretty standard.

In summary. Dont blame Sweden for your problems. Blame yourself.

Ok, I'll bite, even though it's probably a waste of time. From your tone it appears that you are already an expert on my situation and that you've clearly cast your judgement about it.

I did in fact look into it before 22, but at that time there was no recognition of dual nationality between Sweden and the US. Some years later, I researched again and learned that the law had changed. It was then that I contacted the Migrationsverket to inquire into the possibility of regaining citizenship, even though I was past the age. I was advised to contact my local consulate, which I did. The Consular General told me that in some instances exceptions can be made, depending on a few factors, and that I should come in for an interview, and then submit an application to see.

Throughout the entire application process I was advised and guided by Swedish officials. The application was reviewed and approved by Swedish officials and my passport was issued by Swedish officials. Then, when I went to renew the passport, it was rejected by Swedish officials. I would happily accept blame, as you suggest, if I had issued myself a passport in the name of Sweden, but sadly that's beyond my position to do so.

And just to be clear, I'm not blaming 'Sweden'. I have nothing against Sweden, or the Swedish government, or Swedes, or anybody really. But I have a serious problem with being dealt with in such an incoherent, inconsistent manner that it undermines my ability to carry on with a normal life. Issuing a passport to someone, and then a few years later saying 'oops, sorry you weren't meant to have that', is an erratic and frankly embarrassing way of going about the very serious matter if issuing a passport, and nobody would or should accept such a thing.

Please troll elsewhere.

Posted by: PHobbes 6.Nov.2018, 11:33 AM

QUOTE (Cedar2 @ 2.Nov.2018, 07:45 PM) *

Thanks very much, that's about as good an explanation as anyone has been willing to give me!