The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Lulea

Life in Lulea for an Indian

vichu
post 28.Nov.2010, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Lulea as a faculty in LTU from Mumbai, India. I have spent some time in Stockholm.
Are there enough english speaking people there? Do they teach kids their mother tongue in schools? I am vegetarian, can I live comfortably in Lulea. Any feed back will help in my decision.

regards
Vichu
Go to the top of the page
+
JulieLou40
post 28.Nov.2010, 04:11 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (vichu @ 28.Nov.2010, 03:27 PM) *
Hi, I am thinking of moving to Lulea as a faculty in LTU from Mumbai, India. I have spent some time in Stockholm. Are there enough english speaking people there? Do they t ... (show full quote)

I live in Luleå. They teach kids their mother tongue-but not until they have learned Swedish. That's when they move on to regular school, and it is there they will get mother-tongue education. (I was told this by a mother-tongue educator who moves around schools in Luleå). It's hardly any time at all, but at least they get something.

In my experience, most people speak English, the older generation are a bit of a hit & miss. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Best advice I can give you is to start the free SFI (Swedish for immigrants) course once you have moved.

Regarding food, yes of course you can live comfortably, as you can go to the supermarket and buy only what you like. From my limited experience of restaurants up here (it's too expensive to eat out regularly), you will be severely restricted, as most places only have one or two vegetarian options. Swedes in general eat massive amounts of meat, but up here they also eat the stuff you would think more unusual-for instance, moose, horse, & reindeer. So be warned cool.gif
+
Furu
post 28.Nov.2010, 08:13 PM
Post #3

During winter you will get 3 - 5 hours of daylight and -20 C or below temperature.
+
JulieLou40
post 28.Nov.2010, 09:23 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Furu @ 28.Nov.2010, 08:13 PM) *
During winter you will get 3 - 5 hours of daylight and -20 C or below temperature.

3-5 hours? If that... laugh.gif
+
Furu
post 28.Nov.2010, 09:51 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 28.Nov.2010, 09:23 PM) *
3-5 hours? If that... laugh.gif

Perhaps on a clear day biggrin.gif
+
pacfactor
post 28.Nov.2010, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Would rather live in Lulea than any other city in Sweden. There are plenty of lights for the dark nights. Winter is bueatiful the snow sparkles like diamonds. You soon get used to -20, these days i start taking my jacket off at -5. You will have no probs with school for your child, language or food.

Do you go to SFI JulieLou40?
I start Kvall course tomorrow
+
*shandell*
post 24.Oct.2011, 12:17 PM
Post #7

Swedes in general eat massive amounts of meat, but up here they also eat the stuff you would think more unusual-for instance, moose, horse, & reindeer. So be warned cool.gif
+
*jiaansi*
post 24.Oct.2011, 12:37 PM
Post #8

You would be meeting some harsh winter days days.Sweden has little social life.Be ready to be indoors most of the time of the day.You will become deficient to vit d1 soon as u will be exposed to little sunlight.
Best of luck.Are u planing for settling here.
+
gplusa
post 24.Oct.2011, 12:58 PM
Post #9

Piss off. Ain't nothing wrong with my D1 levels.
+
JulieLou40
post 24.Oct.2011, 04:29 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (pacfactor @ 28.Nov.2010, 10:27 PM) *
Would rather live in Lulea than any other city in Sweden. There are plenty of lights for the dark nights. Winter is bueatiful the snow sparkles like diamonds. You soon get use ... (show full quote)

Yup. It's a bugger, I'm finding it really hard. I go to the morning class, as that's the most convenient for me right now. As I think someone said recently on TL, if they just talk "at you" in Swedish from the word go, it's going to sound like gobbledygook...and if they continue like that without explaining what it means in your language...it's STILL going to sound like gobbledygook!

My teacher asked me something in class today and I didn't have a clue what she was talking about. I told her I didn't understand anything she says, and I was so frustrated I couldn't resist adding "But you know that already, because I've already told you this" (which I had, several times too). That did not go down well and it was pretty much fireworks after that. She had a go at me in front of everyone because she thought I wasn't listening, I was mortified. I told her that another teacher had told me last week that I am not there for the teachers, they are there for the pupils, and that I should ask them to explain it to me in English if I don't get what they are saying.

She's called Ingrid.

Don't worry, I'm doubting she does evenings as well as mornings, so hopefully you should be ok! In any event, haven't you already been working for ages now, so you should be further ahead of me anyway smile.gif
+
PDX
post 24.Oct.2011, 04:45 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (vichu @ 28.Nov.2010, 02:27 PM) *
Hi, I am thinking of moving to Lulea as a faculty in LTU from Mumbai, India. I have spent some time in Stockholm. Are there enough english speaking people there? Do they teac ... (show full quote)

So you have spent time in Stockholm before?

Luleå is halfway between Piteå and Kalix, the Swedish coast renowned for it's vegetarian cusine. The climate is not too bad, subtropical but slightly more humid than Mumbai. As far as the schools go, most of them in central Luleå offer education in Marathi.

I think you will enjoy your time in the country. rolleyes.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+
skogsbo
post 24.Oct.2011, 04:58 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (jiaansi @ 24.Oct.2011, 12:37 PM) *
You would be meeting some harsh winter days days.Sweden has little social life.Be ready to be indoors most of the time of the day.You will become deficient to vit d1 soon as u ... (show full quote)

Autumn is dull, once you've seen the pretty leaves, but winter is great. I'm just itching to get out an evening skiing, plus your social life will be as good as you make it, it won't happen instantly, it will progress as rapidly as your Swedish skills do. VitD deficient, only if you sit indoors sulking your whole life, get out in the winter sun. Harsh winter - well as the saying goes, no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. smile.gif
+
gplusa
post 25.Oct.2011, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Julie, if memory serves me correct, I had an "Ingrid" as one of my muntligt examiners in Luleå. I hadn't met her before the exam, so she must have been on of the day teachers. She was a right flake.
+
JulieLou40
post 25.Oct.2011, 11:37 AM
Post #14

Interesting.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: