The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Summer job? Help paint my house

Please msg me with a rough quote

Baned
post 6.Jul.2010, 10:23 AM
Post #1

We moved in not too long ago and originally had a long list of DIY projects. Now we're just way too exhausted to continue with the exterior painting and looking for someone to do it (preferably someone that's had experience in exterior painting, doesn't have to be a professional, but someone neat, efficient, and knows what they're doing).

If you're interested in a side summer job, please msg with with a rough quote. All paint and painting tools will be provided. A simple lunch will also be provided (or dinner, if you prefer to work after hours, or both). I'm flexible. English speakers preferred (cause min svenska sucks). Payment will be made in cash, half will be paid after the 1st coat, and the rest will be paid upon completion. You will only be in charge of painting, all supplies will be provided. Located 30 mins away from Linköping.

Details:
1 1/2 plan wooden house
2 story but the 2nd story is mainly roof
(large simple gable roof with 4 shed dormers, 3 in the front and 1 in back)
1 side of the house needs a coat of primer
basically, house is mainly roof, so the only large area on the 2nd story you need to paint are the sides (the south end will need a coat of primer, which will also be provided)

I've attached an image to give you and idea. The only parts you will paint are the red areas - you don't have to worry about all accents, doors, windows, and edging.

Please msg me with a rough quote and I will provide more detailed information.
Thanks!

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page
+
Baned
post 6.Jul.2010, 11:16 AM
Post #2

I should mention that the white window trims on that image aren't really trims - they just painted it white to look like trims. So you can just paint over all of it (the black window frames will not need to be painted).
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 6.Jul.2010, 11:38 AM
Post #3

Are you aware that if you do it properly, on the books, you can claim a large portion of labour costs back from the tax man?
+
Puffin
post 6.Jul.2010, 12:19 PM
Post #4

How are you planning to assess he relative competence of the offers you get or are you prepared to allow anyone to slap paint on your house?

You are aware of the legal issues
- if you pay more than a certain amount legally you are required to pay preliminär skatt (tax) and socialavgifter (employers contributions) - there was a politician taken to court for this after employing one of their kids gymnasiet friends to clean the house

- If you employ an individual and not a company then you are 100% liable for site safety and need to ensure that ladders and scaffolding etc meet safety standards and that your liablity insurance is sufficient - the former PM Görand Persson was prosecuted and fined for this after employing his brother in law who is a builder to build his new house. The BIL did not have his own company therefore he was responsible as owner. If you hire anyone from the internet you have no idea whether they will sue - there have been cases of people taking the money and them faking an injury to sue.

- as others have mentioned at the moment you can get 50% of labour costs refunded from rotavdrag up to 50,000 kr
+
Baned
post 6.Jul.2010, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Oh Puffin, thank you for your insight. Although I still wish there was a Home Depot around the corner (where I can pick-up some able, part-time workers) your first paragraph alone would fully convince my poor sambo to just do the work himself.

I can't imagine that people are as sue happy here as they are in the rest of the world, but I suppose I'm just being a little naive. Taken to court for giving a kid some part-time housework?! Damn, that's harsh sad.gif
+
summo
post 6.Jul.2010, 02:50 PM
Post #6

In the UK at moment, but there is little russian lad in the village, yuri, who is doing painting jobs for loads of folk. Little grafter who paints like the devil on fire. Puts most UK workers to shame. Not sure how elf and safety aware he though!

I would just potter on and paint it myself, this dry spell is perfect for painting exterior wood.
+
Rick Methven
post 6.Jul.2010, 03:11 PM
Post #7

There was an Estonian guy who came over here working for the Summer in this locale ( I think you are quite near me)

A few years ago he did my friends house with a friend and they worked really well for a cheap price. I will check to see if they are around this year

Apart from all scrapers/ sandpaper/ paint etc you will need to hire a small crane lift. they are very good and secure and do away with the need for scaffolding as they can be self manouvered
+
Plowbridge
post 6.Jul.2010, 03:48 PM
Post #8

Baned,

I have to say this looks like a very uncomplex job. Taking in account your provision of the tools and materials then it does not require a highly skilled worker. In this instance I'd suggest paying someone cash will be cheaper than invoiced regardless of rotavdrag and will probably be much quicker to get someone in.

Although you do not provide the measurement of the house, I see no reason why the work cannot be done from a ladder or a trellis. The H&S risks look low but unknown really without site visit. I'm sure there are plenty that can do this to a good standard. They may not come from TL though but worth a go biggrin.gif

Try local tradesmen/notice boards in supermarkets for available workpeople.
+
alexander linton
post 1.Jun.2011, 08:21 AM
Post #9

dear sir i am a painter and i would like to paint your house i have been a painter for over 20 years and i come from scotland but now stay in åby the only prob is i do not have transport as yet but please email me at fozzybear1961@hotmail.com i will promas you a good job my last job in sweden was painting cranes in norrköing
+
alexander linton
post 1.Jun.2011, 10:56 AM
Post #10

please call me 0767610498 or 0736641217
+
byke
post 1.Jun.2011, 11:19 AM
Post #11

I think you are a year out matey ...
I also haven't seen this poster on here for a good while.
+
*Rimce*
post 14.May.2013, 06:03 PM
Post #12

2 years ago my house painted 2 guys from Lithuania, if you need I have cantacts grlabas@inbox.lt +37062942001
+
PDX
post 15.May.2013, 08:14 AM
Post #13

Since no one gave you a quote as you requested, I'll be the first: I will do this some time during the summer for 200k SEK, paid in advance in cash. You are expected to pay taxes and social security payments on top of this as usual.

I have never painted a house but I am fluent in English so I suppose I'm good.

~~~PDX~~~
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: