The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

New to Uppsala, Life Coach, Wine Lover, Foodie!

Southernbelle
post 25.Nov.2006, 10:36 PM
Post #1

I am new to Uppsala (3 weeks) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I moved here with my family. I think it is great--especially moving from such a big city (traffic, etc.). We are settling in nicely. But I miss my support system, of course, both professionally and personally. I am a Life Coach. Any Life Coaches out there? Anyone from the States married to a Swede in the Uppsala area?
Anyone a big wine lover--loves fine dining?

My Swedish is OK--I applied at EDDA and they said it was too good verbally to be admited but I would like to work on my grammar especially written. Anyone interested in tutoring?

I am also open to any words of wisdom or advice. What are some of the best restaurants around the Uppsala/Stockholm area?

Thanks!

Pamela
Go to the top of the page
+
David S
post 26.Nov.2006, 01:48 AM
Post #2

A life coach from Atlanta - do you happen to know Dr. John Maxwell then?
+
Southernbelle
post 26.Nov.2006, 09:58 AM
Post #3

I have heard of his work but no, I do not know him personally. Do you?
+
David S
post 26.Nov.2006, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Wouldn't go so far to say "know him", but I have met him, yes. I highly recommend his stuff, both books and audio.
+
Goodiedaddy
post 26.Nov.2006, 06:23 PM
Post #5

I am not a gourmet myself, but I know that along the road from Uppsala to Stockholm there are Edsbacka Krog and Ulriksdals Värdhus, both with a reputation for high quality!
+
Markusaurelius
post 26.Nov.2006, 06:26 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Southernbelle)
I am new to Uppsala (3 weeks) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I moved here with my family. I think it is great--especially moving from such a big city (traffic, etc.). We are settling in nicely. But I miss my support system, of course, both professionally and personally. I am a Life Coach. Any Life Coaches out there? Anyone from the States married to a Swede in the Uppsala area?
Anyone a big wine lover--loves fine dining?

My Swedish is OK--I applied at EDDA and they said it was too good verbally to be admited but I would like to work on my grammar especially written. Anyone interested in tutoring?

I am also open to any words of wisdom or advice. What are some of the best restaurants around the Uppsala/Stockholm area?

Thanks!

Pamela

Words of advice.. be prepared to abondon your former job occupation, as unfortunately, you are very unlikely to find clients doing that here, unlike in the U.S.
Start looking early for jobs, ANY jobs you can find. (Unless you are independently wealthy)
+
Southernbelle
post 26.Nov.2006, 09:43 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations--I will check them out.

And thanks for the advice re: jobs--I do a lot of public speaking/workshops that keeps my family-fed and have been able to maintain clients from the US for now (coaching is primarily done over the phone). Skype has been a wonderful find for me. And you are right--I am finding that the culture here is much more practically oriented and very private.

I have an interview with a company that does executive training on the 15th of December--wish me luck.

What do you do for work?
+
Markusaurelius
post 26.Nov.2006, 09:59 PM
Post #8

You are one of the lucky few (VERY FEW) who have potential job opportunities here. (especially before coming here). Take the interview and any other you can get in on. Best o' Luck.
I am a physician.
+
Southernbelle
post 26.Nov.2006, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Thank you. Are you English? Swedish?
+
Markusaurelius
post 26.Nov.2006, 10:14 PM
Post #10

American, actually.
+
Southernbelle
post 26.Nov.2006, 10:18 PM
Post #11

Ahhh, greetings fellow American, from???
+
Markusaurelius
post 26.Nov.2006, 10:30 PM
Post #12

Cali
+
*Mary, With The Shaved Hea*
post 26.Nov.2006, 10:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Markusaurelius)
You are one of the lucky few (VERY FEW) who have potential job opportunities here. (especially before coming here). Take the interview and any other you can get in on. Best o' Luck.
I am a physician.

My partner says that SFI has a special course for Doctors, Nurses and other medically trained immigrants and part of the course is a placement in a hospital!
+
Markusaurelius
post 26.Nov.2006, 10:50 PM
Post #14

QUOTE ('QUEER'ied!)
My partner says that SFI has a special course for Doctors, Nurses and other medically trained immigrants and part of the course is a placement in a hospital!

Thx, but taking break from it for a long, long while (work).
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: