The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

A question from a Brexit refugee

Who wants to move to Sweden

Surstromming
post 22.Oct.2019, 05:56 PM
Post #1

I am new here so apologies if something similar has already been discussed.
A friend of mine is an IT professional with British passport, a year ago decided he cannot tolerate Brexit insanity anymore and wants to live and work in the EU, however he never got round to relocate as he hoped UK never will leave the EU. Now it looks like brexit is going to happen indeed so just in a few days he will loose his EU citizen status and relocation to the EU will become much more difficult than it used to be, please correct me if I am wrong.
As to destination, Sweden appears to be the best candidate due to a number of English speakers, IT market, culture and ability to get passport after five years of residence.
Is it possible for him to fly (or better drive) to Sweden as an EU citizen in the next few days, right before Brexit, apply for necessary paperwork (which one) and start to look for a job. It's unlikely he will find a job just in a few days but maybe it's enough time for him to register a company in Sweden and work as an IT contractor, is it?
Also does he have to do come with his wife and children before brexit day or can they join him later?
Does this look like a doable plan?
Can anyone recommend a good Swedish immigration lawyer?

Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 22.Oct.2019, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Is this friend You?

If you land you can register with migration immediately. But you won't get permanent residency immediately without a job, substantial money or Swedish relatives. You'll only get temporary residency.

Brexit looks likely to be delayed, again, you have time.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 22.Oct.2019, 09:39 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 22.Oct.2019, 08:25 PM) *
you won't get permanent residency immediately without a job, substantial money or Swedish relatives. You'll only get temporary residency

How long is temporary residency? Three months?
+
djmarko
post 23.Oct.2019, 07:22 AM
Post #4

what is your friend speciality within the IT field if you do not mind me asking, even in the event of a no deal Brexit, there is a provision in place for the same rules to apply within 12 months as it is today, It is best for your friend to research the IT market and if possibly apply for roles as a contractor before they even step foot in here, it makes their bargaining for contract rates even stronger
+
skogsbo
post 23.Oct.2019, 11:21 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 22.Oct.2019, 09:39 PM) *
How long is temporary residency? Three months?

Forever, provided the country that you hail from remains a member of the EU.
https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...U-citizens.html

However because of Brexit once in sweden and wotking you really need to apply for permanrnt residency and change your driving licence before the Brexit date.

MV were offering a grace period of 12mths in which to upgrade residency but this may have changed. To swap driving licence you must do this whilst the UK is still in the eu.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 23.Oct.2019, 11:36 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 22.Oct.2019, 08:25 PM) *
You'll only get temporary residency

How long is temporary residency? Why is it temporary residency? Does that apply to all from EU when trying to live in another EU country?
+
champaignepapi
post 23.Oct.2019, 11:43 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Surstromming @ 22.Oct.2019, 06:56 PM) *
Sweden appears to be the best candidate due to culture

LOL.
+
skogsbo
post 23.Oct.2019, 03:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 23.Oct.2019, 11:36 AM) *
How long is temporary residency? Why is it temporary residency? Does that apply to all from EU when trying to live in another EU country?

It's only really a term. Temporary residence applies to anyone from the eu who is working in sweden and has registered their presence with MV.

However as a brit after Brexit if you haven't obtained permanent Swedish residency from MV or become a Swedish citizen then you lose the right to work in sweden as an eu migrant worker.

It's temporary in the sense it's conditional upon you being a member of another eu nation.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 23.Oct.2019, 05:10 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 23.Oct.2019, 04:25 PM) *
It's only really a term. Temporary residence applies to anyone from the eu who is working in sweden and has registered their presence with MV.However as a brit after Brexi ... (show full quote)

Terminology is important.

What you mean to say is that an eu national moving to another eu country has a right to conditional permanent residence?

But it isn’t like an eu National from France can just go live in Italy... isn’t there a time frame... 3 months to get a job or they have to leave?

My confusion is that I don’t see a benefit of being an EU member... I don’t get why brits are freaking out and needing to move to Sweden so as to maintain EU member status through Swedish (eventual) citizenship.

Regardless of eu member status or not, isn’t the right to residency in an eu country contingent upon work... or family ties? If yes... then again, what is the benefit of being an EU member because it is like that for non eu members as well...

I feel it is more symbolic when a Brit says I’m going to move to Sweden to maintain eu status... like people who said they would move to Canada if trump became president.

The EU seems like a bunch of bs if you ask me.
+
skogsbo
post 23.Oct.2019, 06:02 PM
Post #10

Because if you are an eu citizen you can freely move for employment, no visa or permit required. If your family is also from the eu, they can just move with you. There is no requirement to ever visit embassies or consulates.

It's not permanent residency though. As when you have that it means the country has accepted you permanently regardless of nationality. So folk who come to sweden through the eu or say from the USA on a work visa can eventually apply for PR, after which their eu nationality or work visa is irrelevant. They could then take it to the next level and apply for citizenship, but you don't have to.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 23.Oct.2019, 06:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 23.Oct.2019, 06:10 PM) *
Terminology is important. What you mean to say is that an eu national moving to another eu country has a right to conditional permanent residence?But it isn’t like an eu Nat ... (show full quote)

I 100% agree with this. The only thing I would add is as an EU member someone can move and stay in another country even after 3 months if they can support themself. It's just that someone can get unemployment benefit transferred for a maximum of 3 months.

When I moved to Sweden I lived here for almost 3 years before I got a job. As long as someone isn't a burden on the state they can stay whereas if someone is from outside the EU they would be deported.

But the EU is a bunch of bs. smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: