The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4   Reply to this topic

A religion out of control...

Tolerance and acceptance gone awry...

Hek
post 17.Jun.2016, 05:23 AM
Post #46

I am glad to hear about how you "Gamla" handle your guns! That is the way to do it.

If everyone do what you are doing, there will be ten of thousands of kids/adults life's saved every year. I wish everyone was like you, but unfortunately they are not, so how to change this?

Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page
+
Laurelia
post 17.Jun.2016, 06:35 AM
Post #47

The problem with gun reform is that both sides are so heavy handed - one side says 'don't take my guns!' the other 'get rid of all the guns!'. I watched some of the filibustering and was astonished by some of the stats - apparently last year alone 244(?) people on the watch list tried to buy a gun, 90% were successful (Obvs Omar Mateen was one of the successful ones this year). Surely that doesn't make sense to ANYONE?!
and I say this as someone whose in-laws have guns (and keep them locked safely away like Gamla) and whose children enjoy shooting as a sport - gun ownership per se is not the problem - but the lack of regulation and the types of guns available.
+
Bsmith
post 17.Jun.2016, 11:17 AM
Post #48

Everyone that I know that has guns keeps their guns locked in a safe. That is what responsible gun owners do. But how to regulate this? Would it be possible to sell cars only to those who will be safe drivers? And is the problem the guns or the populace? Most gun crime in the US happens in inner city neighborhoods ridden with drugs and gang members. Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership and many of the Swiss' guns are military rifles and you don't see incidents of gun crime there like in the US. So the solution, while it may be out there, is not going to be easy.
+
Hisingen
post 17.Jun.2016, 02:01 PM
Post #49

Could part of the answer be 'Get knotted'??

Attached Image

Or to paraphrase the Biblical phrase from Luke 4:23

'Gunman, shoot thyself.'
+
Bsmith
post 17.Jun.2016, 03:13 PM
Post #50

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 17.Jun.2016, 01:01 PM) *
Or to paraphrase the Biblical phrase from Luke 4:23. 'Gunman, shoot thyself.'

I truly don't know why suicide has turned into a group affair. If you are so unhappy with the world and your place in it, don't take it out on the rest of us. If you want to kill someone, start with yourself first.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Jun.2016, 03:17 PM
Post #51

Humankind has found and invented all sorts of things that can be used to kill (themselves) people...

There used to be a slogan "Ban the bomb"...you don't hear it any more...now they talk about "proliferation" meaning that the aforementioned slogan did not work...

People will find ways to kill each other no matter what instrument is used...

It's what we do!!!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Jun.2016, 08:44 PM
Post #52

QUOTE (Hek @ 17.Jun.2016, 06:23 AM) *
I am glad to hear about how you "Gamla" handle your guns! That is the way to do it. If everyone do what you are doing, there will be ten of thousands of kids/adu ... (show full quote)

A long time ago there were shooting ranges in a lot of schools here (USA), so I would start by saying that education would go a long way to solve a lot of problems...and most certainly those tragedies caused by improper storage and handling...
+
Bsmith
post 17.Jun.2016, 08:57 PM
Post #53

When I was a kid, you could make a cross bow in shop class and no one would have a hissy over it.
+
Hisingen
post 18.Jun.2016, 10:09 AM
Post #54

When I was a kid you found yourself a small Y-forked twig, cut up an old inner tube and tied in a a piece of leather and made yourself a catapult. rolleyes.gif
+
Bsmith
post 18.Jun.2016, 12:55 PM
Post #55

We called them slingshots over here, but, yeah, I had one as a lad. Nowadays a parent would probably be charged with a crime if they let their kid have a slingshot.
+
Jamtjim
post 18.Jun.2016, 03:12 PM
Post #56

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 17.Jun.2016, 09:57 PM) *
When I was a kid, you could make a cross bow in shop class and no one would have a hissy over it.

How did you make it cross? wink.gif

QUOTE (Model T Ford @ 16.Jun.2016, 07:45 PM) *
I am not Obama or Osama, for that matter, and Gamla called for the death by the West of those who espouse Islam in his opening post.

Death of the West? Hahaha... MTF should really try reading peoples posts before lying about them...

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 16.Jun.2016, 06:31 PM) *
P/S: Yes, I am glad that JJ is back...you two provide a lot of fun reading and are considered by a lot of us twin pleasures on this forum...the back and forth, coupled by bri ... (show full quote)

Steady on there Citizen Gamla, no one said I was "back"... at least on a permanent basis. I look in now and again to see what is going on but this place hasn't been the same since Trow left / died / got straight jacketed. He was a delusional and funny old bugger, mad as a box of frogs, but at least he was entertaining to read (well at least the first hundred words which one could decipher before it turned into total, made-up, gibberish). Even back in the good ole days, I was selective about which posts I responded to and I enjoyed Trows particular blend of pomposity, misplaced arrogance and utter cretiny but sadly these days are gone and there is little here which I can be bothered with.

That said I have rather enjoyed this thread so who knows... Many thanks for the kind word. I very much doubt that this is a popular opinion... but then again argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy. It's what keeps me going..
+
Bsmith
post 18.Jun.2016, 06:38 PM
Post #57

This pretty well sums it up for me:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/167607521?ti...&portrait=0
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 18.Jun.2016, 08:34 PM
Post #58

Me too!!!

I hope it goes..."viral"!!!

And then there is this: It takes religion to make a good man do bad things...
+
Hisingen
post 18.Jun.2016, 09:55 PM
Post #59

One might be forgiven for asking - "by whose standards"?
+

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: