The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Pregnant girlfriend abroad and me living in Sweden

is that possible

A french man in Sweden
post 8.Mar.2016, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Hi,

I have been living in Sweden for 2 years now. I have a job and a personnummer and from France. Mygirlfriend lives in Poland and is now pregnant. We have been together for almost 2 years and are happy to start a family but a bit unsure how things will go in regard to her moving here. Does anybody have any similar experience? If so that would be much appreciated if you could share it.

I already have a few questions in my mind:

Can she move with me and be covered for the birth?
Should we get married?
If she gives birth in Poland can she move t Sweden afterwards and the child be covered?

Thanks for your help.
Go to the top of the page
+
littleviking
post 8.Mar.2016, 10:44 AM
Post #2

well poland is in the eu so she has the right to come to sweden. she can be covered only if she gets a personal number and is registered with the insurance company.
i would say it would be good to get her the sooner the faster. If she get in the beginning with her an EU health card and you go with her to the tax office and say that you will be supporting her and she will be living in sweden with you for a period longer then a year she can get a personal number and she will only pay as swedes pay for any medical stuff.
You should be getting her registered also with the Försakringskassan.
It would probably be better for her if she wants to get maternity leave to move as fast as possible and get registered otherwise she will receive very little days.

Children that live with they parents in Sweden are covered automatically.
Marriage isnt needed its up to you too, but in ordered to be considered both the legal guardians it is better otherwise you have to prove you are the father.
+
A french man in Sweden
post 12.Mar.2016, 11:12 AM
Post #3

Thanks for the quick feedback. Considering she has maternity cover rights in Poland we are looking as well at me going there for the birth on a long holiday or sabbatical and then we all come back to Sweden. Alternatively giving birth in Sweden could be an option but I think it depends a lot of the health insurance.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Mar.2016, 04:59 PM
Post #4

"Should we get married?"... laugh.gif
+
littleviking
post 12.Mar.2016, 07:18 PM
Post #5

get your girl to sweden with an eu health card go directly to the tax office and ask to apply for a personal number on the base of you supporting her financially, hence person of own means.
it will take around 2 weeks after she receive the number you go to the insurance company and get her registered , maybe after the number go to a doctor here to give her a document stating her condition.
the advantage of giving birth here will be that you can also take 10 days off after the birth and she will get maternity leave, and the sooner she comes and moves here and registers the more days she will get. it wont be a bucket of money but it will definitively be better then she would get in Poland. The sooner she gets in the system the better.
Plus hospitals here are much better, my sister in law had her second one this year here in Sweden and both she and the newborn got quite a lot of help and attention.
its really not that complicated but times is of the essence.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: