The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Cultural enrichment or de-enrichment?

Pippi is now too racist for children

Bsmith
post 5.Nov.2017, 11:14 PM
Post #1

According to a story in TL, Pippi Longstocking is being challanged as too racist for Swedish children to be exposed to: https://www.thelocal.se/20171105/police-rep...tocking-stories

Of course, a certain religious text that instructs death to those who do not follow their religion is not considered offensive.

Ironic.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 5.Nov.2017, 11:20 PM
Post #2

Political correctness...
+
Svedallas
post 6.Nov.2017, 11:18 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 5.Nov.2017, 11:14 PM) *
According to a story in TL, Pippi Longstocking is being challanged as too racist for Swedish children to be exposed to: https://www.thelocal.se/20171105/police-rep...tocking- ... (show full quote)

Certain aspects of the book especially the images are racists.
But this is the old, original school version of the book.

This has been a debate for schools since around 2010 and many schools removed it. Some didn't, obviously.

Why dont they just do a new revised version?
Problem solved.
+
Gjeebes
post 6.Nov.2017, 12:52 PM
Post #4

"Of course, a certain religious text that instructs death to those who do not follow their religion is not considered offensive."

That's because, they are not selective (and hence not singling out any one group) and are willing to kill everyone. It is for this reason, especially in Meatballia, that Pippi is out, and ISIS, is in. At least, this is the "reason" given, in said ball of meat, why the ISIS flag has been given the OK to fly in said skies.

And then, by the current logic, almost all names prior to the era of "virtue-signalling"-"thin-skinned"-"political-correct-ultra-sensitivity-santisation-efforts"...pretty much anything in print, or otherwise, that came into existence before ~2013, must be erased from history.

So, sorry UK, and USA (to name just a couple of many), you will just become a gap in the pages of history.
+
Tenacious185
post 6.Nov.2017, 01:20 PM
Post #5

+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Nov.2017, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Political correctness...

Ain't it grate!!!
+
Svedallas
post 6.Nov.2017, 02:35 PM
Post #7

+
Tenacious185
post 6.Nov.2017, 02:51 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 6.Nov.2017, 02:12 PM) *
Political correctness.... Ain't it grate!!!

My idea of political correctness is just not to go out of my way to be an asshole to other people, and treat people with the same level of respect I'd want for myself. It's always been a no brainer, and not really anything requiring great effort or debate. Somehow the phrase "political correctness" has become a rhetorical battering ram to be used by anyone who either wants to stifle honest discourse, or be outright abusive, and have it go unchecked. It goes both ways, but it's really just basic courtesy. However, the phrase itself has become so loaded, and the concept of it blown so far out of proportion. Most of us can self moderate without some mother hen notion of P.C. instructing us how to behave. Advising kids that it's important to be respectful is one thing. Calling the police because an old book has some salty language in it...is bit overblown, methinks. laugh.gif

And yeah, this isn't really news, I agree.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Nov.2017, 03:57 PM
Post #9

+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Nov.2017, 07:38 PM
Post #10

If we cannot face the reality of the past, how can we face the future...

I really think that "1984" is pertinent to this thread now...

We all know it mentions "new speak" and the main character in his daily work changes the past to fit what the politics of today dictate...

And there you have it...political correctness...as prophesied...

1984 LIVES!!!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: