The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Why shoes are so expensive in Sweden

Prices so much higher than online from the U.S.

maria1234
post 14.Apr.2009, 09:15 PM
Post #1

Why the shoes prices are so very expensive in Sweden?
Same shoes from another country is no more than 100 kr, Why it is so expensive?
Go to the USA web sites and see the real cheap prices for everything but here , crazy prices for shoes , kids cloth and very expensive to cut your hair also, Where do they get these prices??!!
Go to the top of the page
+
summer
post 15.Apr.2009, 06:02 AM
Post #2

The answer is tax tax and tax
+
anticommie
post 16.Apr.2009, 01:56 AM
Post #3

Hey but you got free health care, LMAO nothing is free.
+
Mzungu
post 16.Apr.2009, 05:57 AM
Post #4

Imagine shoes to be like any commodity,one has to shop around,be in the right shop at the right time, there are good inexpensive shoes to be had.
Mind you, city folk are being ripped off all the time, so why not when buying shoes? dry.gif

*pink floppies are dirt cheap,along with the inevitable hair clipper *
+
Snikk
post 16.Apr.2009, 06:33 AM
Post #5

I think you have to also consider the Swedish salaries.
My experience, Sweden provides higher salaries, if you convert that too. YES, things do cost more here compared to many countries, but you also get paid better over here. Plus taxes are included in the price you see.

No doubt that you can find cheaper stuff in the US.
Maybe it's all those cheap outlets and sales that you can shop at in the USA... but you can get really nice ,(in season),stuff when the sales are on over here too.

100kr for shoes... well that depends on where you shop, cause even if I converted the swedish kr to US dollars... I wouldn't get much of a shoe for that price... besides, (as someone already mentioned), maybe a pair of flipflops.

It'll probably take you a couple of years to stop comparing all the prices to what you're use to paying.
It's always fun to travel abroad and shop away. smile.gif

As for the taxes... I think it's worth it. Atleast over here, we actually get something for our tax money. I can say that I don't whine about all the taxes that have to be paid. I didn't get shit back home for all those years I've paid high taxes. Over here, I actually see the difference.
+
Miss Kitten
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:11 AM
Post #6

I used to wince at the prices of shoes and clothes when I first moved here but now they no longer bother me. It took about a year before I stopped comparing Swedish prices to US prices.

Just remember one of the fundamental laws of retail: Everything eventually goes on sale.
+
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:26 AM
Post #7

i still travel westerly with 3 empty suitcases and return with 4 full suitcases. not all things are cheaper and i find that for some things if you want the same quality the prices are about the same. (not necessarily electronics and gadgets)

the US has such a larger customer base to encourage competition which allows for not only better prices but also a wider range. sweden's 9m just can't produce that cornucopia of goods and services.
+
Petalpusher
post 16.Apr.2009, 09:33 PM
Post #8

You want 100Kr shoes?!! ohmy.gif You're in the wrong country if you want cheap crap.
+
jarvinho
post 16.Apr.2009, 10:07 PM
Post #9

What Sweden needs is a TK MAXX. It's the only place I buy shoes.
+
Miss Kitten
post 16.Apr.2009, 11:35 PM
Post #10

Never heard of TK Maxx. Is that an upscale version of TJ Maxx?
+
jarvinho
post 17.Apr.2009, 09:24 AM
Post #11

In the UK TJ Maxx is called TK Maxx, not sure why.

You get the best shoes there. I am currently sporting a rather fetching pair of Adidas Gazelles in blue with yellow stripes, a bargain at £19.99.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: