4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

How much sleep do you need?

Is six hours a night enough?

DidiE
post 11.May.2009, 09:39 AM
Post #1

In an effort to turn away from religious topics today due to high blood pressure, and recognising we already have many good threads in which to discuss cooking, gardening, AND most importantly, Eurovision, I offer the following up for discussion.

A new article posted at MSN says: Average nightly sleep time during the workweek in the United States is down nearly 20 minutes in the last decade, to six hours and 40 minutes. And men ages 30 to 44 are the worst offenders: Thirty percent of them say they log less than six hours of sleep at night, according to a survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Five Sleep Myths Busted

Less than six hours a night? Wow- I could understand that if they had infants at home, but otherwise, there is no way I could go more than one day like that. I am definitely a nine hour a night kind of person. How much sleep do you need to feel healthy and alert the next day?
Go to the top of the page
+
Princess P
post 11.May.2009, 09:59 AM
Post #2

About 7. Any less and I feel very ill and cannot function at all. Any more and I'm all fuzzy headed and sluggish.
+
Inletwatcher
post 11.May.2009, 10:01 AM
Post #3

Nice topic!!

Umm for me it depends on if I am being assaulted by dreams or not. "dreamless sleep" for me is best. I like ten hours if I can get it. Ima sleep monster. I read though that I sleep too much and this is unhealthy. I think its unhealthy for others to be around me if I have had less than 8. Fun thread!
Inlet
+
Bee
post 11.May.2009, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Research done as recently as 1988 showed that bees at rest exhibit some of the same characteristics as humans in a sleep period: they don't move around, they don't react to stimuli very readily, their muscles relax, and their body temperature drops. So, while the buzzing in the hive is probably not snoring, research concludes that bees do sleep. Myself? 6 hours at least or I become really a bit of a grump!
+
Princess P
post 11.May.2009, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Do bees talk in their sleep or get up and raid the fridge?
+
Miss Kitten
post 11.May.2009, 10:07 AM
Post #6

I very rarely sleep uninterrupted the whole night. I'm just a very light sleeper and the slightest noise or movement wakes me up. My boyfriend is just the opposite. It takes a while for him to fall asleep, but once he's out he's really out. A freight train running through our apartment wouldn't wake him up. I try to get at least five hours of uninterrupted sleep a night, if I can.
+
Inletwatcher
post 11.May.2009, 10:09 AM
Post #7

LOL reminds me of my daughter, she slept through hurricane Ivan. We were using cups to bail water out of the living room, and she is sound asleep in the back of the house.
+
DidiE
post 11.May.2009, 10:19 AM
Post #8

One of the challenges Mr Didi and I both face is that we both snore like aforementioned freight trains. He says he spends half the night prodding me to stop the chainsaw, and that's funny, cos I spend half the night trying to stop him.

I sleep really well when there is white noise going on- a fan, my air cleaning machine. He, on the other hand, needs either Radio 1 or complete silence. It's a never ending battle.
+
Gwrhyr
post 11.May.2009, 10:22 AM
Post #9

I prefer 12 hours if I have the time, but that's usually only on the weekends. Otherwise 7 to 9 hours during the week. I love sleeping, and I think it's really important for people to get a good amount of sleep. If I sleep 12 hours I feel great during the day, energized, alert, and happy. For me, life is all about sleep... we work all day to keep ourselves alive with food, so that every night we can lay down, close our eyes, and rest. The Gospel of Sleep.
+
Mzungu
post 11.May.2009, 10:28 AM
Post #10

This came up during a discussion a while back,believe at the time apart from myself, Holey was the only other to need 6 or less hours sleep...

Also have the ability(so am informed) of approx 4/6 deep breaths and I'm sound asleep,thunder will not awaken my slumber,but the slightest tinkering with a door or window then it's red alert!

*no siesta either*
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 11.May.2009, 10:41 AM
Post #11

I only get about four hours. This is no way to live.
+
DidiE
post 11.May.2009, 10:54 AM
Post #12

Lawdy. That AIN'T no way to live, I agrees.
+
post 11.May.2009, 10:55 AM
Post #13

(age 23-50)
In hot countries or hot weather, 6 -7 hours, 7 is max or you will feel numby.
country like Sweden 7-8 hours not more than 8.
People with deep sleep -- comparatively more intelligent compare to light sleepers.
Also people with fast and short sleeping habits are usually intelligent.
Truly speaking you can control your sleep time just like hunger. If you sleep over it will just go increasing.
Usually over sleep makes you dull.
+
Mib
post 11.May.2009, 11:08 AM
Post #14

It all depends on what I will be doing during the day, but normally between 6 & 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep. What people don't seem to realise is that their diet has a big effect on how they feel in the morning. If we drink too much alcohol, we suffer a hangover and normally feel the need to sleep longer. Just as eating too much crap makes us feel similar as our bodies are trying to digest too much sugar/salt/fat etc. However, everyone reacts differently.

It would be great to survive on 4 hours of sleep only. You would have so much more time to do things. You see a lot of the really successful people who can survive on 4 hours.
+
post 11.May.2009, 11:17 AM
Post #15

And "Gwrhyr" just imagine you will live only half of your life. many wish to have long life...
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,537 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles