The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Radon Test Kit

Radon levels in Östergötland

Baned
post 8.Mar.2010, 10:39 PM
Post #1

The inspectors are charging us 2500kr for a quick radon test and I'm considering putting off the professional test and doing it ourselves. It seems pretty high considering the DIY kits cost less than 500kr! The house doesn't even have a basement and there's neighbors nearby (not in the boonies). They rescheduled our radon appointment a week after our inspections because their equipment isn't available, so I'm thinking this might be a reason enough to cancel it.

We know about the costs to reduce radon if it's high and we're prepared to pay that. It's not a deal breaker for us.

Has anyone used a radon test kit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page
+
post 8.Mar.2010, 10:52 PM
Post #2

we've done the DIY pucks. min time is 10 days. pretty quick turn around with a result. radon from the ground is not dependent on having a basement. you can just ask the neighbors what they know about the radon levels in the neighborhood.
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Mar.2010, 07:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Baned @ 8.Mar.2010, 10:39 PM) *
The inspectors are charging us 2500kr for a quick radon test and I'm considering putting off the professional test and doing it ourselves. It seems pretty high considering ... (show full quote)

I have 2 tests done by the previous owner of our house in Ljungsbro last one done in jan-march 2000 on a house built 1957 with a basement reading gave an annual average of 240 Bq/m3 with a error margin of +/- 40%

The safety limit for an old house is 400 and a new house 200
+
Baned
post 9.Mar.2010, 11:20 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the replies! We're gonna be cheap and decided to opt-out of the professional radon test. The sambo spoke to a co-worker that lives in the area that has an older house with a basement that needed one of those vent systems. He said the govt helped pay for half the cost 10,000kr and will pay a maximum 15,000kr to remedy the radon.

Our home (if all goes well with inspections) is in a slightly newer area, we're gonna ask the inspector about the potential costs of fixing a radon problem if we have one. As soon as the inspection is cleared, I can update the news about how negotiations went.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: