Reply to this topic

This Pappa ledig lark

Fun or not?

plopp
post 17.Mar.2010, 02:33 PM
Post #1

I'm soon to be taking pappa ledig and extremely grateful that the swedish system allows me to do so. I've been looking forward to it for ages but now that it's fast approaching, it's suddenly dawned on me that maybe it won't be all fun fun fun.

I love spending time with the nipper and do so as much as I can but if I'm being honest, it's often a relief to be able to escape to go to work and I've now starting thinking that it might just seem like really hard work. I also spoke to someone yesterday who said that they hated it and couldn't wait to get back to work!

So was just wondering if anyone here has been pappa ledig and if so did you enjoy it or hate it? Any tips on making the most of this time?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+
Nuname
post 17.Mar.2010, 04:42 PM
Post #2

I'd recommend going for walks, finding a local playground, maybe go to an öppna forskola. Definitely try to go swimming if there's a warm pool near you.
+
Streja
post 17.Mar.2010, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Good lord.

sad.gif

Why do these people have babies.
+
Ragin Cajun
post 17.Mar.2010, 07:55 PM
Post #4

I was on pappa ledig for 4 months not to long ago and loved it. I was the opposite, I wish I took more time off but the wife wanted the last days :-)

Of course it’s hard work but it’s a wonderful chance for any father to spend good quality time with their kids. Nothing like spending an entire day playing with legos with the little one.

By the time I get home from work these days I only have a few hours to spend with them before it’s off to bed so I’m looking forward to doing it again.

QUOTE (Streja @ 17.Mar.2010, 07:37 PM) *
Good lord.. sad.gif. Why do these people have babies.

laugh.gif
+
Puffin
post 18.Mar.2010, 12:02 AM
Post #5

I think that it will be hard work - looking after small kids always is. However it will also be fund to spend time with your child and getting to know him/her in a way that you would not normally. I think that men who do take the leave really get a special relationship with their kids.

There are times when the day will be boring - it is for mums as well. Most babies and young children like to have a routine with set meal and nap times - so use naptime to do something for yourself.

It is also a good idea to plan outtings for sveral days in the week so you get out. If your leave is starting soon at least you will hopefully have some nice weather.

The outings is one issue that I found that myself and Mr Puffin did differently. He was not so keen on the types of organised groups that i used to frequent such as storytime at the library, playgroups and baby singing - the sort of stuff he used to do was:
- walks in the forest
- trips to the sea
- train rides
- they went to Arlanda from Dalarna to watch planes
- trips to science and technical museums
- trips to parks, farms and zoos
- swimming etc

There is also a dads' thread om mums in Sweden - so you could ask over there
http://www.mumsinsweden.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10561

Good luck
+
krow
post 18.Mar.2010, 09:17 AM
Post #6

Just be careful with your place of work. A friend of ours took pappa ledig for one year and when he went back to work, they said he can no longer work full time. That was in mcdonald at Uppsala. Now he is out of job. He does not belong to union. Reason that the economy is bad to have him back and secondly the job he has worked for 5 years said he cant speak swedish fluently. No one to report to. He was even made to sign a new contract two weeks to the expiration of the pappa ledig. What a country. secure your job first and send approriate papers ahead.
+
plopp
post 18.Mar.2010, 10:12 AM
Post #7

Well cheers for the answers.

Going to give swimming a go (live near Eriksdalsbadet). I suggested this to my wife but she wasn't keen for some reason so I kind of forgot about it. Will give it a go though and am planning even to buy myself a löpvagn!

I've actually already taken a bit of time off work and been to a couple of öppna förskolor but was not that keen. I will go though as I think it's good for my son and he enjoys it which of course is the main thing.

Thanks for the link also.. think I'll try and take this discussion over there!

As for the job, thanks for the warning but think I will be OK. My company is pretty good to parents and we've had a few go on maternity/paternity leave without problem. You never know though I guess
+
Beef
post 18.Mar.2010, 11:56 AM
Post #8

Come on Streja! Nice to see a bit of honesty, don't you think?? So much falseness often here saying how great something is and deep down really hating it.

I did it 2 times and waiting my 3rd child. I had a nice time.. Interesting what Puffin said regarding Mr. Puffin. So often very true. Used to live in Hammarby Sjöstad. You could see hoards of mums there walking and talking (often on their mobiles) in large groups but more often you see solitary dads. Maybe because the little'un is often older by the time it's our tun so you can have more interaction.

Do enjoy it. It's amazingly bonding! For a short time of your life never to be repeated you'll become the primary carer and the nipper who will come to you when they fall over... Priceless smile.gif
+
plopp
post 18.Mar.2010, 03:59 PM
Post #9

Well glad you enjoyed it Beef and hopefully I will too.

And the honesty thing.. something that annoys me also when as a parent you're expected to say that everything is great all the time, no matter what because you've got a wonderful child who is perfect.

Refreshing for me when I spoke to my brother recently who now has a 1 month old. I asked him how it was going and he replied in all honesty that it had been possibly the worst month of his life. Happy to be a dad of course but struggling like f?#k ... but at least he admitted it!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,659 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles