Reply to this topic

Boot fairs ,jumble sales ,flea markets etc

Looking for secondhand furniture

Essjay
post 24.Mar.2010, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Hi ,
Moving to Sweden very shortly ,deposit paid and papers signed on house so coming over soon .
I could haul furniture and other stuff from here but it,s going to cost too much ,would rather buy most in Sweden .
Some things I will buy new but I,m sure many people have things for sale ,especially old furniture which is sometimes better quality than new , do people hold garage sales ,secondhand stalls etc ,I know people advertise but the distance to travel might not make it worthwhile ,I,ve looked at Swedish sites advertising secondhand goods so no problem there but love to find a bargain at a boot fair .
What about auctions as well ,not internet ones
Any reply truly appreciated biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:02 AM
Post #2

The best place to buy second hand is either Blocket.se or the local Myrona (Salvation Army)
+
Jasoncarter
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:08 AM
Post #3

I love Blocket. It's the triumph of optimism over capitalism:

'Pine kitchen table, 20 years old. Veneer completely worn off, leg missing. Huge scratch/gouge in middle of table. 20,000kr.'

'1986 Volvo 240 GL. Missing all windows and engine. Needs upholstering. One swedish owner. 18,000kr'
+
Nuname
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:41 AM
Post #4

So true. I just saw a camera for 5000. Went on pricerunner and it was 5300 new.
I can't believe Swedes are prepard to pay so much for second hand goods.

OP in Gothenburg there are charity (mostly church) places that tend to open only on Saturday mornings and sell second hand stuff cheaply. If you're out in the sticks there are Loppis' (a barn or similar with second hand goods), which are well worth a look, although some are a bit like blocket with their pricing.
+
Jasoncarter
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:45 AM
Post #5

Facetiousness aside, I just found this site which lets you search for different Loppis

http://www.svenskaloppisar.se/sok.asp?newsearch=1

In Swedish only, but you can search by area and it should be pretty obvious. The other thing to consider is that car boot sales are usually called bakluckeloppis or just Bakluckan or similar. They're getting slightly more popular than they used to be.
+
DidiE
post 24.Mar.2010, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Where are you moving? In some parts of Sweden, Red Cross is the big second hand source. Other parts, it's Eriks Hjälpen. Bulletin boards at grocery stores have lots of announcements. There are also monthly auctions to sell off estate possessions. I have a cousin who's furnished two huge old houses with lovely lovely stuff that he gets at the 'dead auctions.' There are occasionally loppis in our area and they are usually announced on bulletin boards, and in that regard, at least in our part of Western Sweden, whole neighbourhoods have seemed to decide that if one house is going to do this and disturb the peace of the weekend, the rest of them might as well open up their garages and sell, too. In just about every place I've been, there are also second-hand shops that often have some really cool stuff. Churches often have exchanges for kids clothes and sports equipment.

I'm a total believer in recycling and scrounging and living small impact. If it's been used and loved and taken care of, I'd really prefer to buy it second hand. I think you're really smart to take this option.
+
Johno
post 24.Mar.2010, 12:07 PM
Post #7

For a start you will find your nearest Eriks Hjälpen at Löpargatan 8, Lindesberg and if you venture down to Örebro or Västerås you will be spoilt for choice. We always visit our local Red Cross shop, but so called antique shops often are more like second hand shops. Our local football club have a permanent loppis shop as do the Salvation Army (http://www.myrorna.se/butiker.htm ) and Amnesty have a huge local place. See the weekend paper for advts, you will have a very happy time. Lots of fixed site shops and markets, and special events in the summer.

Blocket and newspaper small ads seem to include too many unrealistic prices but thats only my view.

Keep thinking of things. The best places we have bought furniture from (and sold to, just a few times) are house clearance folks. Their sales places can soon be recognised. They exist in the UK but in Sweden with the expectation that a house is emptied and cleaned to a high standard when old folks have died (you will see dödsboet as the expression for a deceaseds estate), recycling and selling of that category of household goods is almost an industry.
+
Jamtjim
post 24.Mar.2010, 12:26 PM
Post #8

I did a car boot sale last summer. It was a lovely day with blue sky and sunny but when I set out my table behind the car, I discovered that the little hydrolic pistons which held the boot door open were no longer working effectively. As a consequence every time I tried to leave the boot lid up, it came crashing down again. Rather cunningly, I solved this problem by holding the lid open by the judicious use of a wooden stick placed on a pile of old comics which in turn lay on my table.

The day started well and I was selling quite a bit of my old crap, when I entered into a conversation with an old lady who had the gaul to attempt to haggle with me over the 20:- I was asking for some horrible old vase. I explained to her that 10:- would not even cover the time and effort I had invested in stealing the afore mentioned cut flower retainer from the house of the old guy from down the road when he was away on holiday (I have it on good authority that he has alzheimers and so I dont expect that he will even remeber owning it).

Anyway, as our continued banter reached it's climax, the old bints grandson decided he liked the look of the comic on top of the pile; a genuine 1997 copy of "Captain Boner in Rapetown" no less. Tugging it sharply, he pulled out the comic taking the wooden stick with it. The boot door remained frozen in space for a second before coming crashing down, nearly beheading the old bid standing underneath, who fell to the floor dropping the vase which exploded into a million pieces.

I felt terrible. The comic belonged to my son who wanted me to sell it so that he could raise money whith which to buy a new computer game. Now the cover was ripped and the comic virtually worthless. Furthermore, I was now 20:- down on my vase.

The old hag lay on the ground bleeding and groaning a little and I realised that she would be in no fit state to conclude our bit of business without help. I distinctly remembered her making a verbal agreement to buy the vase for 20:- the microsecond before the door fell so, spying her handbag and picking it up, I located her purse and removed a crisp new 50:- note (20:- for the vase, 10:- for the now valueless comic and 20:- for my time required to wipe the blood and bits of scalp from my car) and stuffed it in my wallet. Annoyed at the ammount of time I had had to shell out in order to earn just 50:-, I also placed a note with "Thanks for nothing bitch" written on it back into her purse for her to read later.

Anyway, the ambulance appeared after a while and whisked the unfortunate granny away to the hospital where I believe she later died of old age some hours later, but to be honest I couldn't care less as I had my cash. On the up side, a group of curious bystanders had gathered to ogle at the situation around my stall, and after the ambulance left, I made an absolute killing.

All's well that ends well!

Long live the boot sale!
+
bobalong
post 24.Mar.2010, 05:57 PM
Post #9

Jason... you mean there are no bargains on Blocket... I'm shocked..lol

PMSL earlier while looking for the so called bargains and found one

A 1968 Volvo for 1:- in Filipstad, Vårmland!

Dream car!...lol

They can be found if you look hard enough!
+
Peterj
post 24.Mar.2010, 06:13 PM
Post #10

I've never paid asking price on blocket so far...and I don't think many do. Obvious bargains aside.
+
Puffin
post 24.Mar.2010, 06:24 PM
Post #11

Charity shops are a good place to look as many do house clearing
+
Essjay
post 24.Mar.2010, 09:25 PM
Post #12

Hiya ,hey and tack for all your input ,
Well seems there is quite a choice ,checked the lottis site out need to work on that but could already work out what was in my area,to Didie mate I will be moving close to Ludvika ,Dalarna and Johno thanks about the Orebro bit ,nice to know there is a wide choice ,also the posts about salvation army and red cross many thanks
However ,
One post by a certain Mr Jamquin was a bit off the limit ,listen mate if she was out of it why just fifty, you could have taken more but guess you realise this now ,honestly mate the funniest post I have ever read ,hope it,s not really true of course but mother-in -law is off to the boot fair tomorrow and it would be terrible if the same fate awaited her !????!!!!
Just joking !!!!!
+
Nuname
post 25.Mar.2010, 03:46 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Peterj @ 24.Mar.2010, 07:13 PM) *
I've never paid asking price on blocket so far...and I don't think many do. Obvious bargains aside.

One guy gave me 500 instead of 400 for some winter tyres!
Trying to get a woman to drop her price for a crib we bought was just painful, although when we turned up my wife was whale sized so she probably knew she had us over a barrel. They had a posh place in Torslanda as well so it's not as though they needed the money.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,727 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles