The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Finns and knives

Stereotype about Finns

Finnish guy
post 4.Sep.2010, 04:44 PM
Post #1

I have recently heard that Swedish think that stereotypical Finn has a knife with him. Where has this stereotype come from? Has there been a lot of knife related crimes in Sweden done by Finns?

I have less trouble understanding stereotype about shy or alcoholic Finns, but at least in Finland it seems that it is usually gypsies who carry knife or a gun and not other Finns.
Go to the top of the page
+
Mr-a
post 4.Sep.2010, 05:50 PM
Post #2

My guess is that it dates from early 1960´s. Five years in the war front had left many men disillusioned, with broken minds and used to "rough". All never found their way back to normal life and jobs, and many became alcoholics. They were also used to carrying a knife at all times.

Those guys often went to Sweden trying to find jobs. And if they didn´t, they turned into "Slussenin sissit" (guerillas of Slussen). And that life style involved alcohol and also knife fights. That was 50+ years ago but I guess the reputation still lingers.
+
vfilipova
post 4.Sep.2010, 06:00 PM
Post #3

As an american in Bulgaria, it was assumed that I was from Texas (I'm not) because I carried a knife. What's so hard to understand? It's a useful tool that may come in handy at any given time.
+
Finnish guy
post 4.Sep.2010, 06:06 PM
Post #4

It's a useful tool that may come in handy at any given time.

Maybe, but at least in Finland it is illegal to carry knife in a public place unless you need it for your work or have some other acceptable reason for carrying it with you. Self defense is not acceptable reason.
+
Franciscodeflores
post 7.Sep.2010, 09:31 AM
Post #5

My grandmother and grandfather came to the U.S. at the start of the 20th Century when Finns were recruited to work in the forest industries and then the mines in northern Michigan and Minnesota. I had heard often that the Finns were known to carry knives and were good at using them in self defense. Those were very rough times here when mining companies hired gun thugs to break strikes and laborers lived no better than slaves. Perhaps the knives were needed.
+
Beef
post 7.Sep.2010, 10:51 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Finnish guy @ 4.Sep.2010, 05:44 PM) *
I have recently heard that Swedish think that stereotypical Finn has a knife with him. Where has this stereotype come from? Has there been a lot of knife related crimes in Swe ... (show full quote)

Not sure about the alcoholic thing even. Worked with loads of Finns in my years in Stockholm and they like to perpetrate this as well, but it's more like binge drinking in the extreme.. Still haven't managed to get one of the out on a Tuesday for a quick drink and according to the stats, Finland are 2nd bottom in the EU for alcohol consumption.. People then go on about imports and home brew but how much of a percentage of the population does this involve????
+
kaze
post 7.Sep.2010, 11:27 AM
Post #7

Most Finnish guys I know do seem to have a thing for knives...

I guess its because theyre very rural even by Swedish standards? They're from the frontier, not the nice tame countryside in Sodermanland
+
Eroth
post 7.Sep.2010, 12:27 PM
Post #8

And sketches like these surely dosent help the Finns, but they are pretty hilarious if you ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPsCLHyRO-Y
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: