The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

WTF was that noise?

15:00 today

sweedy82
post 5.Dec.2011, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Cycling home at 15:00 I heard what sounded like a huge lorry blasting its horn. It went off a few times from what seems like a load of directions. First, I was down the road from the Uni, then closer to Karolinska and it sounded just as loud there. My wife heard it in Huvudsta, too.

WTF was that noise?
Go to the top of the page
+
jvtx3232
post 5.Dec.2011, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Next time don't eat so many beans for lunch! wink.gif
+
StephenR
post 5.Dec.2011, 06:38 PM
Post #3

First Monday of the month at 15:00. That would be the Swedes testing our their air raid sirens. Just in case the Soviets resurrect themselves and come over the border.
+
sweedy82
post 5.Dec.2011, 07:11 PM
Post #4

ah...tackar. tongue.gif
+
Ankinette
post 5.Dec.2011, 07:29 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (StephenR @ 5.Dec.2011, 06:38 PM) *
First Monday of the month at 15:00. That would be the Swedes testing our their air raid sirens. Just in case the Soviets resurrect themselves and come over the border.

Handy to have a Swede at home to ask all sort of silly questions to wink.gif
+
byke
post 5.Dec.2011, 07:37 PM
Post #6

I have become allot more cynical in my older age, and wonder who would really run for the hills if the siren did go off.

I am also curious if this is just a Stockholm thing, and if it is ... what is the imminent threat that is so important compared to other towns that stockholm is faced with?
+
swozzie
post 5.Dec.2011, 07:40 PM
Post #7

sirens went off in central Gbg around that time also today. so that's what it was !
+
sweedy82
post 5.Dec.2011, 07:50 PM
Post #8

It was the first time I'd heard them in Sweden. Happened quite often when I lived in Seoul, but didn't hear it once in the past 4 years until today- only just moved to Stockholm, so missed all the other times... and never heard it in Västerås.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 5.Dec.2011, 07:58 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (byke @ 5.Dec.2011, 08:37 PM) *
I have become allot more cynical in my older age, and wonder who would really run for the hills if the siren did go off.I am also curious if this is just a Stockholm thing, an ... (show full quote)

It's a national thing. The main purpose of the sirens today is to inform about accidents that are of importance to the general public, e.g. major gas leaks, nuclear accidents, etc. If you hear a siren at any other time than at 15.00 the first Monday of the month you should go inside, close windows and doors, and switch on the radio.
+
StephenR
post 5.Dec.2011, 08:01 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Ankinette @ 5.Dec.2011, 07:29 PM) *
Handy to have a Swede at home to ask all sort of silly questions to wink.gif

What else are they for?!

I have become allot more cynical in my older age, and wonder who would really run for the hills if the siren did go off.

I am also curious if this is just a Stockholm thing, and if it is ... what is the imminent threat that is so important compared to other towns that stockholm is faced with?

Probably not! It's not unknown for fire alarms to be ignored in many places so why would it be different for an air raid siren! Though I'm always fascinated to see the bunkers located in many apartment complexes.

I was under the impression that it was a nationwide thing?

It was the first time I'd heard them in Sweden. Happened quite often when I lived in Seoul, but didn't hear it once in the past 4 years until today- only just moved to Stockholm, so missed all the other times... and never heard it in Västerås.

I've never actually heard them go off myself and I live fairly close to a military base, though maybe I've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time or just oblivious to it. Though I do have the pleasure of being subjected to the sound of gunfire and artillery fire from Berga's shooting range on a regular basis.
+
Ankinette
post 5.Dec.2011, 08:07 PM
Post #11

I heard it for the first time today too! Strange...
+
Gordy
post 5.Dec.2011, 09:06 PM
Post #12

They sounded in Trelleborg today popping my air raid siren cherry too.
+
ewela.s
post 5.Dec.2011, 09:54 PM
Post #13

I also heard that sound while walking with the dog - in Spånga...
+
Terriyakki
post 5.Dec.2011, 10:10 PM
Post #14

We also heard it in Helsingborg today, and I haven't ever heard it before. It sounded like the horns on the ferry to DK in the fog. I'm glad to hear what it was.
+
BillyB
post 5.Dec.2011, 10:58 PM
Post #15

So what would happen if Russia invaded at 15.00 on the first Monday.??
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: