Reply to this topic

I want to buy a good car

Using a car in Sweden

emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Hi,
I am a little confused about buying a car to use here in Sweden, I dont know much about cars. What kind of car would anyone who knows about car suggest I buy? I am looking at a 2000 to 2006 model (used car), a car that is strong, not problematic, not too expensive to maintain and consume less gas. it also has to be a mini jeep, something like an SUV
Can anyone Help?
Go to the top of the page
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Easy, ask all those Swedes when they are finished with that light bulb.
+
emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:15 AM
Post #3

How do you mean light bulb?
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:21 AM
Post #4

They weigh less than the heavy ones. And don't mistake them for turnips.
+
emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 08:24 AM
Post #5

To be Honest, I dont understand what you are talking about. can you please clarify?
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 17.Mar.2012, 09:23 AM
Post #6

I thought you were being funny, and tried to reciprocate in kind.

If you are serious about buying a used car, I suggest you check out ads in the newspapers, and look around for vehicles at gas stations and repair shops

Once you find something you are interested in, I would test drive it, make sure that it recently passed its road test well, and have it checked out by a mechanic you trust. (I know of one I trust.)

If all this turns out satisfactorily, I would bargain over the price, as most of the asking prices are too high.
+
Gordy
post 17.Mar.2012, 09:45 AM
Post #7

To find out what issues there are with any particular car model you are considering take a look at the used car reviews at honestjohn.co.uk

Why does it have to be a SUV? They are not popular here as normal cars with winter tyres are just as good for the winter conditions here unless you live in the woods on a road that doesn't have snow clearing, in which case you probably should have a Lada Niva or a Fiat Panda Climbing.
+
edd1
post 17.Mar.2012, 09:51 AM
Post #8

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm?q=&cg=...p;l=0&md=th

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?ca=1...p;w=1&cb=39

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?ca=1...mp;w=1&cb=3

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/bilar?ca=1...p;w=1&cb=40

Don't expect to buy a SUV that has low gas/running costs either, they are bigger and heavier than normal cars and use more petrol. Tires are bigger etc. Running costs depend on the make/model you buy. Road tax costs more the bigger the engine/more emissions

If you find something your interested in then you can check the value here,

bilpriser.se

Just put in the reg number etc.

If you absolutely need a SUV but need to keep costs down the probably a toyota is a good bet. reliable and pretty cheap service costs (compared to BMW/VW) and depending on the engine size, ok fuel consumption.

Be careful you don't get ripped off on blocket though...
+
Rick Methven
post 17.Mar.2012, 10:34 AM
Post #9

If you know nothing about cars, it is not advisable to buy one via Blocket unless you have a good car savy friend with you.

much better to buy from a registered second hand car dealer or from a main dealer who has a reputation to maintain and will still be there a couple of years later.
+
emmy11
post 17.Mar.2012, 03:49 PM
Post #10

Thanks guys for your contribution. I am a 6 feet 3inc tall guy, having that in mind, i thought an SUV will be better for me since its big. i am not confined or stuck with SUV by any means,rather, any big car that will suite my height will do. Actually i was thinking of Toyota Auris. Any ideas on this? like i said, i dont know much about cars.
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Mar.2012, 04:20 PM
Post #11

I recommend finding a mechanic who will check the car out for a nominal price. They can identify issues that could be costly down the road. Incidently, I am 6' 3" 210lbs and I fit in my wife's Toyota Corolla comfortably and the gas mileage is respectable.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 17.Mar.2012, 04:22 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (emmy11 @ 17.Mar.2012, 04:49 PM) *
Thanks guys for your contribution. I am a 6 feet 3inc tall guy, having that in mind, i thought an SUV will be better for me since its big. i am not confined or stuck with SUV ... (show full quote)

6' 3'' is not that tall. Most cars will do.
+
Rick Methven
post 17.Mar.2012, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Many years ago I sold a mini to a 2m tall Danish double bass player. He and his double bass drove quite happily between Copenhagen and Amsterdam every week smile.gif
+
gplusa
post 8.Aug.2012, 12:29 PM
Post #14

I'm also 6' 3" and I've never had a problem fitting comfortably in a normal Swedish sold car. I haven't driven a lot of different cars here, to be fair, but the Volvos, Saabs and Volkswagens I've driven have all been more than roomy enough for me.

I was sitting on a couch at the local Bilprovning station toady, and was reading a fairly chunky magazine sepcifically rating and reporting on pretty much every type of second hand car available in Sweden. It was very thorough I have to say, even comparing the strength of headlamps between different years of the same model. I can't for the life of my remember what it was called now, but it was a commercial looking glossy magazine which I'm sure would be available at most magazine stores.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,775 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles