Reply to this topic

Gothenburg - Where to live?

romanopizzichini
post 25.Aug.2006, 02:09 AM
Post #1

OK, so I've pretty much made my choice and picked Gothenburg. Thanks to everyone for the advice biggrin.gif

Anyways, now I have some more questions... :?

Since I have never been there, and I want to arrive with somewhere to live already, I need to know:

Which neighbourhoods should I look around? I don't really care much, but I don't want to be far away from the city. Accessability would be good.

How much should I accept to pay? I've read people pay on average of around 2,100 sek. Is that so? It was on a student website. I'm 18 so I'd wouldn't mind living with other people around my age.

Any good websites that I could use?

Also, is it a good idea to find a place to live before I go?

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+
Yohan
post 25.Aug.2006, 04:15 AM
Post #2

Will be interested in the replies. We've been looking for rental flats downtown for over a year, and they don't seem easy to find or cheap. We are moving there next summer. Good luck!

Yohan
+
Nidoh
post 25.Aug.2006, 08:21 AM
Post #3

I don't want to depress anyone, but i applied for over 140 1st handcontracts in 3years and go 8 replies and no apartment.

I finally got one via a friends, friend who knew someone that owed someone that had a cousin that had a friend that had a apartment.

I am sure others will post more upto date links than I have. My advice would be to concentrate on 2nd hand contracts or sharing, as unless you get really lucky u will just waste time.

TIP #1 If really stuck and if your a good bullsh1t artist and dont mind paying an extra 1000:- a month you can claim your working for a company and get a apartment that way (they never check, at least the 2 places i did this).

TIP #2 From my fellow immergrants from SFI, if you want a reply on a application for a first hand contract, change your name to something swedish sounding (yes it is that bad, sadly)
+
Faithless
post 25.Aug.2006, 08:23 AM
Post #4

Sadly, it depends on what nationality you are, some being more popular than others, as in most countries.
Italians have no problems here.

+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 25.Aug.2006, 08:26 AM
Post #5

I've heard talk of somewhere called 'Rapist Park' in G'berg. Is this place to be avoided?
+
Tomitomi
post 25.Aug.2006, 08:36 AM
Post #6

I think thats Slottskogen
+
Faithless
post 25.Aug.2006, 08:40 AM
Post #7

It's only to be avoided if you're a prude.
Whats wrong with surprise sex?

+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 25.Aug.2006, 09:24 AM
Post #8

It's alway fine, so long as it's violently shouted into the ear first, otherwise it's just plain rude and a clear breach on etiquette.*

*Satire
+
*PantoneTria*
post 25.Aug.2006, 12:08 PM
Post #9

Another option... is to arrive here, stay at hostel then look around for a place. The adventage is you know what you'll get.

It's worth to try. Since, my friend's got a place in lovely Haga... but i, who had a room before arrival, now is binding with 10 months contract in somewhere outerskirt of the city! :?
+
Benzed
post 25.Aug.2006, 12:43 PM
Post #10

Rapist Park is my old joint, the elevated greenery above Avenyn and on the way up to the part of Johanneberg that overlooks Lisberg. I lived in the vicinity for 4 months and braved RP at all hours and in all states of coherency. My batty survived unscathed, I`m pleased to report.

I concur with Nidoh. In my experience, the only way to have any luck finding a place is through a friend of a friend, in Sweden : The Networking Capital Of The World.

Even the cretinous turdburglars that have posted on this site asking for applicants to take their vacant apartments don`t have the decency to type out a 7 word "sorry it`s taken, good luck in future" reply.

I have been homeless for 5 weeks, it`s the worst aspect of this place.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 25.Aug.2006, 12:45 PM
Post #11

It's fun to stay in the Y.M.C.A, you can get yourself clean, you can get a good meal blah blah blah
+
Benzed
post 25.Aug.2006, 12:49 PM
Post #12

I may move into a hosetel actually. At least I would meet a lot of backpack clad teenage girls.

Though this would shatter any chance of a sambo visa, I reckon... biggrin.gif
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 25.Aug.2006, 02:24 PM
Post #13

If you are a foreigner you might as well skip Stockholm and Goteborg and move directly to Malmo, that's where all the foreigners are. I think all the Swedes down there wised up and drove across the bridge to Denmark.
+
DayDreamer
post 26.Aug.2006, 11:04 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Faithless)

It's only to be avoided if you're a prude.
Whats wrong with surprise sex?

erm thats called rape :?
+
KKK
post 13.Mar.2018, 02:06 AM
Post #15

Hello;

Can you pls suggest which area/distincts to live as a family in Gothenburg?

where we can also find good primary schools and security

Thanks
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: