Reply to this topic

Daycare Queue for Foreigners?

Will start work in April - sign child up now?

post 3.Jan.2013, 12:55 AM
Post #1
Joined: 3.Jan.2013

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

I will start work here in Gothenburg Sweden in April. Currently, I am a resident (and citizen) of the US, and my wife and son are Swedish citizens. My tax advisor has stated that we should not register as local people here in Sweden until we are actually to begin working, as then the government may come to tax our income. Even if it's just the two of them.

My wife had suggested this, so as to "get a spot" in day care, but according to the tax advisor's advice, we probably won't do that.

Anyone ever heard of a legitimate place-holder for foreigners? Another queue for those planning on a future residency in Sweden?

Go to the top of the page
post 3.Jan.2013, 01:01 AM
Post #2
Location: Not in Sweden
Joined: 8.Nov.2005

What country does your tax advisor work in? I'll assume the US, and thus doesn't know anything about taxing in Sweden.

If your wife doesn't work, she doesn't pay taxes. There's no such thing as joint taxing in Sweden, everyone is taxed as individuals. If you don't register with Skatteverket right away when you move to Sweden, you can count not being able to do ANYTHING. If you're not registered with Personnummer, you basically don't exist.

And WHY on earth would there be special day care spots held for foreigners?

Just get with the system, and you'll be just fine!
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Jan.2013, 01:43 AM
Post #3
Location: Dalarna
Joined: 5.Apr.2006

If you want a daycare place for April the you need to get onto the waiting list ASAP as the waiting time for *any* place is 3-4 months and longer if you want a specific daycare - you cannot go onto the waiting list until you have registered as Swedish residents

Your wife seem to know far more about how Sweden works than the so called advisor - you may not get a spot for early April as the timescale is tight
Go to the top of the page
post 3.Jan.2013, 01:45 AM
Post #4
Joined: 22.Nov.2011

You can only get onto the queue for a public-run daycare place in the community where your child is registered as living (at skatteverket, tax office), ie. in the population register. Your partner and child could in theory come to Sweden before You and get onto the waiting list. To get a place can take up to 3 months, though often it is faster.

An alternative is to contact some private daycare facilities that have their own queue system, and they may make special arrangements for You.

Taxes in Sweden, as already mentioned, are individual not per household, so whatever You earn before becoming a Swedish resident is not liable for Swedish tax, only your partners income would be, assuming the partner moves to Sweden 1st.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


3,458 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles