Reply to this topic

Russia "expels" Swedish TV journalist

The Local
post 7.Sep.2005, 10:33 AM
Post #1

Russia "expels" Swedish TV journalist

The Swedish government on Tuesday demanded an explanation from Russia as to why a Swedish television journalist based in Moscow had been denied a visa extension, Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds said.

"We met with a representative of the embassy to express our astonishment," Freivalds told AFP after Bert Sundström, Moscow correspondent for public TV channel SVT, was denied a renewal of his visa.

"We have requested a review of the decision," said Freivalds, who met the Russian charge d'affaires Tuesday morning, adding that "in any case, we need an explanation."

"We have no knowledge of anything the journalist might have done to be denied the right to continue his work in Russia," Freivalds said.

SVT said its correspondent "has, to all intents and purposes, been expelled" without any explanation from the Russian authorities.

"This is very serious and unacceptable," SVT director-general Christina Jutterström told AFP.

Jutterström said she did not want to speculate on the Russian authorities' motives and said that the work of Sundström, who was posted to Moscow three years ago, had been "remarkable."

"I hope that we will get a good answer, since we have good relations with Russia and a good level of cooperation," Freivalds said.

AFP
Go to the top of the page
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 7.Sep.2005, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Sweden thinks it has a good relationship with other countries, think. This is personis being thrown out because his views are so slanted towards, showing Russia in a bad light. And lets not forget the STV 1 skit on the Italian PM and, Putin. As it is said "don't get angry, get even"
+
Wayne W
post 7.Sep.2005, 11:30 AM
Post #3

He probably couldn't handle his alcohol...
+
*Björn Hallberg*
post 7.Sep.2005, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Wow, Nigel, you seem to have the answers to this as well. If it is indeed so that Sundström is getting booted because of his "slanted views", which I suppose would be the reporting from Chechnya, which I'd say is rare and factual when it does in fact occur, is it then such a good thing? To you maybe because of your fervent hatred of Sweden, SVT and Swedes in general, but really ... what does it say about Russia and journalistic freedom? I'm in awe of the logic here. So now the Russians are the nice guys, despite the genocide in Chechnya and the fact that they still pose a hurdle for your beloved US empire (something that I AM thankful for). I guess we all choose new allies in the morning ...
+
*Nigel E.j. Griffiths*
post 7.Sep.2005, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Bjorn : head in my hands, I despair for you. For whatever reason, he's been thrown out and, there is nothing that Sweden can do about it, other than bitch and complain. Further, Russians view countries that field women politicians, as being weak countries.
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 8.Sep.2005, 12:03 PM
Post #6

OK this only shows that Russia is still the same in many ways as it was in the past - then called The Soviet Union. Putin is a crook and the responsibility for this his is. He rules Russia like the old leaders - Gorbatjov was an exception. He was a man that has all my respect for doing what he did and we all know what happened to him.
+
*David OL*
post 9.Sep.2005, 10:18 AM
Post #7

It's just a bit of one-upmanship from the Russians. They have not reviewed the Swedish journalist's visa because Sweden did not renew a Russian correspondents visa -- so who can blame them? :?
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 9.Sep.2005, 10:23 AM
Post #8

Or was it the opposite???? :twisted:
+
*Dimitri*
post 9.Sep.2005, 01:40 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Björn Hallberg)
Wow, Nigel, you seem to have the answers to this as well. If it is indeed so that Sundström is getting booted because of his "slanted views", which I suppose would be the reporting from Chechnya, which I'd say is rare and factual when it does in fact occur, is it then such a good thing? To you maybe because of your fervent hatred of Sweden, SVT and Swedes in general, but really ... what does it say about Russia and journalistic freedom? I'm in awe of the logic here. So now the Russians are the nice guys, despite the genocide in Chechnya and the fact that they still pose a hurdle for your beloved US empire (something that I AM thankful for). I guess we all choose new allies in the morning ...

Good for Russia. Sweden did the same with a Russian journalist, Kirill Antonov some days before. One to one.
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 9.Sep.2005, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Then the question must be: who started this? Sweden? Russia? Does anybody know? I heard on the radio that Russia started this but I admit I can be wrong.
+
*Dimitri*
post 9.Sep.2005, 06:17 PM
Post #11

Sweden started by denying working permit to Kirill Antonov from Tribuna in Russia. Russia hit back. it backfired to sweden because it demanded russia for esplanation without the ministry for forein affairs of sweden recognizing that did the same with antonov.Russia does the same when his diplomats are no longer wanted in any country. Four russians out, four other country diplomats out. That is, has been history.
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 9.Sep.2005, 06:40 PM
Post #12

Well whoever started it - it´s stupid.
+
*Dimitri*
post 9.Sep.2005, 06:44 PM
Post #13

it is not whoever. sweden started the fight. True facts.
+
*Örjan Malmstedt*
post 9.Sep.2005, 06:47 PM
Post #14

ok ok
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,743 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles