The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Re-entry permit while extension stil in processing

Travel within/outside Schengen extension applicati

dba.se
post 29.May.2013, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Hi !

I am a non-eu citizen, living and working in Sweden for the last 3 years on basis of work-residence permit.
I have permanent employment, work as a medical doctor for "landstinget".

My current visa will expire in July this year, and ofcourse will apply for an extension as soon as i am allowed to send in one.

The main challenge is the travel restrictions due to ridiculous long waiting times for processing my extension application, which as per the migrationsverket's website is apx 8 months. I might be needed to travel outside Schengen and back during the period while my extension application is still pending with migrationsverket.

Does Sweden have something like a Re-entry permit that will allow people to re-enter schengen/sweden while there
extension application is still pending with the migrationsverket ?

In Denmark, where the waiting times for extension might be even worse than here in sweden, you are issued a 90 days schengen re-entry permit if you wish to travel within/outside schengen. So,atleast you don't need to worry about long processing times.

Due to nature of my work and family reasons, i might be in situation where a travel outside schengen becomes a must and i don't know what/how to tackle the situation.

Thanks in advance for sharing your suggestions and experiences from a similar situation.
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 29.May.2013, 03:55 PM
Post #2

Sweden doesn't have re-entry permits. Unfortunately the problem isn't so much Sweden border police, they have direct access to Migrationsverket system so they can see the status of your permit etc... and most likely with supporting documentation would allow re-entry ...the issue is the airline, they are not supposed to let you board the flight unless you have valid entry documents, ie. permit or visa, if they get caught doing so they are fined.
+
dba.se
post 29.May.2013, 08:49 PM
Post #3

"Sweden border police, they have direct access to Migrationsverket system so they can see the status of your permit etc... and most likely with supporting documentation would allow re-entry" This is interesting information,

Thank you Yorkshireman.
+
axiom
post 30.May.2013, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Yes, in theory as Yorkshire man pointed out. But you will not be allowed to board any "vessel" to Sweden without being able to show a valid permit so chances are you will not be able to argue your case with the Swedish border guards.

The idea of a re-entry permit is actually pretty useful, the US does this as well with "advanced parole" it means people wouldn't mind waiting a little longer for a permit and ease pressure from people trying to "expedite" their applications or submitting well in advance to try and beat the waiting times.
+
MissQ
post 30.May.2013, 12:50 PM
Post #5

The answer is no from migration office. No alternatives, no way round whatever your reasons are.

I am in the same situation and I tried to contact migration office for any possible alternatives. I work in a large international company and my job requires travels to other countries and continents now and then. I thought it might be a valid reason since the company could help me to prove that the re-entry permit would imply added value (since it is business related) with minimal security risks for illegal stay or whatever. But I got a very clear and short NO answer from migration office despite of the carefully prepared arguments. My boss and I are both very upset (boss is from EU and he had a hard time to believe such things can happen) but we could not do anything but to cancel all the trips. Luckily I still keep my job despite all this hassle.

I know in person at least one other similar case that happened on a girl who had to cancel business trips thanks to the pending case of her permit renewal. She was locked in Sweden for close to one year. We are both non-EU citizens without a passport that can let us stay 90 days visa-free. Many OECD citizens would have such rights which hopefully make their life easier.

I guess they just don't have any process for such requests. Probably no one ever thought that people who wait for the permits also have a life to live and possible need to travel for various reasons. It is a little bit sad in my opinion.
+
xdrfv
post 30.May.2013, 12:57 PM
Post #6

I should have posted a new one, but it's similar to OP's problem, so let me ask my question here.

My permit is already expired, and an application for the extension (of course, filed before the expiration date) is still pending. I know it's difficult to travel outside of the Schengen zone, but how about WITHIN the Schengen zone? If I travel to, for example, Germany by air, does the MV see my check-in record in an airline company? Is the travel within the Schengen illegal?

NB: I'm a US citizen.
+
dba.se
post 31.May.2013, 03:04 PM
Post #7

To MissQ

"Probably no one ever thought that people who wait for the permits also have a life to live and possible need to travel for various reasons"

Last time when my application for extension was pending, I had to cancel a couple of business trips abroad as i didn't have the valid "sticker". It was even a big "shock" for my swedish colleagues to buy into what i was saying about these visa related hassle we people face.

And you are absolutely right, I can't agree more. I just can't comprehend how the policy makers can be so narrow minded. We as "immigrants" not allowed to even have an vacation that we are entitled to, just like other people ? are we not allowed to take up a business critical or family critical travel?

I hope they able to distinguish between criminals in a jail & people who are staying in this country legally.

I am surprised that a country like denmark, just next door, with toughest immigration policies in EU have applied some common sense and issuing re-entry permits.

Unfortunately, we can only be disappointed but apparently can't do anything about it.
+
dba.se
post 31.May.2013, 03:16 PM
Post #8

To xdrfv,

One of my friend is a US citizen, based on his experience in similar situation like yours, i had an impression that its OK to travel within Schengen even while your extension application is still pending.

The reason as i understood, you as US citizen are visa exempt for 90 days, right ? So you will always be allowed to enter into schengen from outside schengen. When travelling within schengen, anyone will hardly ask you to show your passport, there are no physical border controls/passport controls within schengen.

And finally, with a US passport at hand, i believe you should be quite safe even when navigating in the "grey zone" what comes to immigration rules. ... :-).

I can post you the relevant official links which relates to your particular case, should i come across.
+
Robin Ericsson
post 31.May.2013, 03:34 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (dba.se @ 31.May.2013, 03:04 PM) *
To MissQ "Probably no one ever thought that people who wait for the permits also have a life to live and possible need to travel for various reasons" Last time when ... (show full quote)

They are self-satisfied at one hand and slave-centeric in another hand! They are sick, believe it!
+
Pursuivant
post 1.Jun.2013, 12:02 PM
Post #10

The problem is - even the Swedish police have direct links to Migrationsverket, the rest do not. So say you "enter Schengen" in France, they go oh-la-la and put you on the next airplane "home" which is not Sweden. Or you change planes in Dubai and the airline person looks "no visa" and goes jalla jalla and you get to go "home" instead of Sweden... Even a direct flight back to Sweden - the Swedish police have this connection - the airline people have not. If they bring in some funny foreigner they have to pay a fine for illegal alien transport, so they will not chance it.
+
axiom
post 1.Jun.2013, 08:20 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (dba.se @ 31.May.2013, 02:04 PM) *
To MissQ "Probably no one ever thought that people who wait for the permits also have a life to live and possible need to travel for various reasons" Last time when ... (show full quote)

This is common practice in any country you take, even your own country, nothing unique about that in Sweden.

They have never made this private or concealed or hidden information, we know this from the first time we applied for a permit that it is going to be like this with renewals.

I dont get the sudden confusion people get when they realise that they cannot travel while waiting for a permit renewal or that the renewal takes the amount of time clearly stated on msvt's website.

Blaming politicians don't fix anything, the system is slow because there are alot of migrants like us here moving to Sweden and wanting permits processed like yesterday.

Do we seriously expect the Swedish government to invest money into msvt so we can have our permits in 2 weeks, when it can be used in schools and hospitals, how do you think the voting Swede will react, I know a bunch that would not take that sitting down.
+
lizziebizzie
post 2.Jun.2013, 01:16 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (axiom @ 1.Jun.2013, 07:20 PM) *
Do we seriously expect the Swedish government to invest money into msvt so we can have our permits in 2 weeks, when it can be used in schools and hospitals, how do you think t ... (show full quote)

Two weeks would be great, but is 6 months really too much to ask for? tongue.gif

To the original poster, if it's true that you're American, then you'll have no problem traveling within the Schengen area while your permit is being processed. You can travel for up to 90 days within 180 days visa-free, so just bring your passport with you and you should be fine.
+
dba.se
post 4.Jun.2013, 03:13 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (axiom @ 1.Jun.2013, 08:20 PM) *
This is common practice in any country you take, even your own country, nothing unique about that in Sweden.They have never made this private or concealed or hidden informatio ... (show full quote)

Sir "Axim",

- The est.time for processing applications has always been changing, now the latest estimate is around 8 months. So, I dont understand when you say that It has always been like this.
- I dont understand where you get these 2 figures from 2 weeks, 6 months ?
- Did you know that swedish migration board has some special arrangements for companies who are hiring more than 24 persons/year ? Their application gets processessed in 2 WKs, i mean even first time application. Special treatment for people who are needed in this country.
- You have to see it in the light that people want to get their voice heard, and bring it to politicians notice about what is needed to change in the system. BTW, no system is perfect, so try to respect people views, esp. the ones who are exposed to them.
- I pay a fee to get my application processed, i am not expecting the swedish government to divert theie funds from other "welfare" activities to process applications.
- I have made a conscious decision to come to sweden, that just doesn't mean i dont have the right to speak if something is wrong or can be made better.
- Pls dont combine all immigrants into one lot,
- I was allowed to enter Sweden not becouse i am a "vulnerable" individual, and needs the swedish "protection". But rather, based on the skill that is in demand right now in sweden.

Have you ever been in a situation, or been given a treatment where you know what it is like to spent 8 months with a travel restrictions confined to a relatively small country like sweden esp being an outsider in that country? What if an unfortunate situation arises in your family living abroad and you have to travel ?

Please think before you bash "immigrants". And,as i said before pls don't combine immigrants into one basket and apply begoted attitude.

- Have you read my original post ? I have not asked people here to debate on this topics. Rather,wanted to learn if there are ways to tackle the processing time challenges, written in bold text. If you don't have anything to contribute directly to this, its better not to comment, a humble request to everyone. There are no rewards for the best arguement in favour or against the motion :-)

Let's all enjoy the short swedish summer :-)
+
axiom
post 4.Jun.2013, 05:51 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (dba.se @ 4.Jun.2013, 02:13 PM) *
Sir "Axim", - The est.time for processing applications has always been changing, now the latest estimate is around 8 months. So, I dont understand when you say that ... (show full quote)

Again, this is not unique to Sweden, check application times for the US, etc, its pretty much the same. Application processing times change because we live in a real world where situations change, work load changes, staffing changes, etc and these all affect how long it take to look at your application.

- Did you know that swedish migration board has some special arrangements for companies who are hiring more than 24 persons/year ? Their application gets processessed in 2 WKs ... (show full quote)

Again this is not unique to Sweden all countries have some sort of expediting service, in some countries you pay more which means the richer you are the quicker you get in, thats even less fair.

- You have to see it in the light that people want to get their voice heard, and bring it to politicians notice about what is needed to change in the system. BTW, no system is ... (show full quote)

Indeed, but I raised to point to say that, msvt's processing time is not a priority for the government since people who benefit directly are not voting or have elected them. It is simply logic they all use. Lets first fix the things we got voted to change.

Refugees or Asylum speakers, even though you might not be willing to accept this, are prioritized, their protection is enshrined in Sweden's international treaties and they are bound to follow them through. We need to stop using refugees or asylum seekers as fall backs, this is very very wrong. We are all immigrants just the same, regardless of why we tell our selves we are here, we are here because when we weighed all our options, Sweden was the preferred one, offering us new opportunities and in many cases a better quality of life. That is what all immigration is about, quite simple. We are putting the same demands on housing, health care, schools, transport, etc.

Have you ever been in a situation, or been given a treatment where you know what it is like to spent 8 months with a travel restrictions confined to a relatively small country ... (show full quote)

Been there, done that, waited my 8 months, immigrant just like refugees are just like people with sambos, work permits, students, etc - I am the same immigrant no more special, no more important.
+
lizziebizzie
post 4.Jun.2013, 07:29 PM
Post #15

Needing to travel while a permit is being renewed seems like a common enough issue that it wouldn't be too hard to give out a temporary permit or provide some document that would allow for short trips outside the EU/Sweden, especially since it takes two-thirds of the year to renew! I can imagine that some of the voting employers would like for their employees to be able to travel for conferences or for company business outside of the country during the processing time.

Of course, it's not the worst thing for Sweden to require you to stay in the country, and I agree that refugees and asylum seekers should be processed as fast as possible.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: