The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Used car jargon

Buying a first used car in Sweden road map

wallace1837
post 13.Jul.2013, 11:45 AM
Post #1

Hi,
I may need to buy a car, but my options are limited to used. I have hard time to get around the jargon and regulation (inspection, road tax, etc.) to estimate how much money out of my pocket (after the price of the car) I will have to spend before riding it.

How does road tax work? I've heard weight, CO2 emission, age. What is it really?

How does a transaction from private person to private person work, what are the necessary paper. E.g. car title and key in exchange for the money?

License plate: does it come with the car, or it is related to the person who own the car?

I know there is yearly inspection, some people on blocket put some "jargon" related to it on their add. What those those words/expressions mean?
Välskött,
helservad,
nybes,
skattad,
v- o - s-hjul,
dragkrok.
avställd
skattad och bessiktad
Ny bes

What are the type of problem I should look for here?

I've seen a lot of people talking about timing belt, why, is it because of regulation, else?

What about the insurance? I should have a liability insurance when I shop in case I return home with a car?

Do used car dealer have the same reputation as in North America (they are usually among the top least trusted people, sometime above politicians)? Should I expect the same type of "used car seller game" here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

P.S. I am looking to spend (in car jargon it is called waste) 15 000SEK for a car that will hopefully last one year, and may serve a summer car after. I know I will have to spend more to maintain it. I've seen some 13-14 years old volvo fitting the description.
Go to the top of the page
+
Svensksmith
post 13.Jul.2013, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Always have a used car checked out by a competent mechanic before you purchase it. I know I wish I had.
+
Hisingen
post 13.Jul.2013, 02:37 PM
Post #3

License plate: does it come with the car, or it is related to the person who own the car? Comes with the car.

Välskött, Well cared for
helservad, fully serviced
nybes, Recently MOT'd
skattad, Taxed
v- o - s-hjul, winter and summer wheels
dragkrok. towing hook (ball)
avställd Unregistered
skattad och bessiktad Taxed and MOT'd
Ny bes Recently MOT'd (as in 3 above)

That will put you a bit along the way with regard to the abbreviations. The 'winter and summer wheels' is a good feature, saves having to buy the obligatory winter wheels later on. The towing hook is handy if yu anticipate using a trailer, since the car will have been MOT'd with that in mind. I am using MOT as being the usual British phrase for the annual inspection or 'Besiktning' as in Sweden.

Best of luck.

I might add that my wife is selling her Hyundai Elantra 2002. It is in real good condition, brakes fully seerviced up to yesterday, front link arms both replaced recently, and MOT'd yesterday, passing with flying colours.134000km. Cam belt changed not so long ago. Silver grey. Viewable in Munkdal if you are interested, send me a PM. In your price range.
Just a thought.
+
Rick Methven
post 13.Jul.2013, 07:19 PM
Post #4

I should take up hilsingens offer.

He is otherwise known as Sweden's answer to Richard Nixon in the local used car trade. laugh.gif
+
Hisingen
post 13.Jul.2013, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the recommendation, Rick, compliments will get you everywhere - - - laugh.gif
+
wallace1837
post 13.Jul.2013, 08:19 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 13.Jul.2013, 12:36 PM) *
Always have a used car checked out by a competent mechanic before you purchase it. I know I wish I had.

Does anyone have a reputable mechanic for inspection in Uppsala?
+
skogsbo
post 15.Jul.2013, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Buy a simple basic car that you see everywhere. Avoid exotic brands that are cheap, as parts will probably be a killer. And when you're shopping the 15k bracket, you are likely to be fixing it within a year.

Try to avoid cars with complex electrical packs, whilst electric everything, air con etc. is great. It's just more things to go wrong in an old car.

use websites like this http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/va...reviews/23469-5
to give you an idea of cars to avoid, common faults etc..
+
wallace1837
post 15.Jul.2013, 10:56 AM
Post #8

What does G in inspection means?

What are the grades for the inspection and what are the consequences?
+
ChocOwl
post 15.Jul.2013, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Here is a useful site where you can see a ballpark price when you give the rego number. You need to go to the detailed settings where you state the mielage etc to get a closer idea of the value.
http://www.bilpriser.se/

Here is another site with car listings, an alternative to Blocket.
http://www.bytbil.com/bilar

Here is a place that auctions second hand cars, usually from local municipalities or bankrupt owners. There is some EN info on their website.
KVD
+
wallace1837
post 15.Jul.2013, 06:58 PM
Post #10

What does "men skatt saknas på bilen" ( but no tax on the car) means? What are the implications?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: