The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden, Residency Permit Questions!

Swede looking to move husband to Sweden!

*linnsepinnse*
post 1.Dec.2013, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Hello,
I have lived in the United States now for about 12 years. I met my husband 1 and 1/2 years ago, and we recently got married in August of this year. I am a dual-citizen of Sweden, and the United States, as I was born and lived in Sweden until I was about 8 years old. I have been back visiting numerous times, and my family currently lives over there, and even though I have lived here for the majority of my life now, I still don't feel as if I belong here, and I really do not like the system here. My husband feels the same way, and we have decided that we want to move to Sweden together as soon as possible. We have done plenty of research regarding residency permits, but there are a few questions we still have, that we can't seem to find clear answers for really.
1. We read that apparently he can not stay in Sweden while the application processes, so after he applies for his residence permit, in the meantime when it's processing, he can't even go just to visit for say, 2 weeks or so? And does anyone know the purpose of this rule?
2. Has anyone else applied for a residency permit recently? What was your experience like, and the biggest question we have is, how long did it take from the start, (from the day of sending the application in, to the day you received the permit) to acquire the residency permit?

Last time we checked on the (Migrationsverket) website, it stated it could take 6-8 months for them to process the application. It would just be really great to hear other people's recent experiences so we know what to expect! We'd appreciate it a lot, thank you!
Go to the top of the page
+
MissMurray
post 2.Dec.2013, 05:31 AM
Post #2

The waiting times on Migrationsverkets website is unfortunately 10 months for online applications and 14 if you apply on paper. This is because of many people seeking asylum, as it states on the webpage.
Travel vise, when I was applying it wasn't allowed, but I am not sure whether that is still true or not, supposedly it is only a problem if you need a visa to travel. But if you do travel, don't after the interview, since they won't make a decision while he is in Sweden, as it also says on the website.
There has been many people posting and saying how their application took a lot less than 10 months, but it is always better to be prepared to wait in full, since that does happen too, and it is really harsh,
Good luck with the application!
+
olga118
post 3.Dec.2013, 09:36 PM
Post #3

I came to Sweden while my application was pending. I called them first and asked for my passport back so I could travel here for 2 weeks. They sent it to me, said that was fine, and told me to send it back to them when I returned. Obviously I had already purchased a round trip ticket.
They told me it could take 6 months to process my application, it took 5 weeks...but that was 2 years ago.
Because you are already married yours may go quicker (that's why they said that mine did) but I don't really know how it works if you do not have the financial means to support him and he is not employed.
Let us know how it goes for you.
Good luck, Hope it's quick!
+
axiom
post 4.Dec.2013, 02:19 PM
Post #4

It is not common practice by MSVT to retain your passport while you have an application pending, they usually just take a copy and ask for the passport when completed. This was before the biometric process which started where they don't even ask for it whatsoever.

Technically you can be in Sweden at any time however they will not process the application or make a decision while you are here. They don't turn you back or reject your application, they are just not supposed to make a decision. In reality, I would doubt this is every carried out, people on here have done this with no problems especially if you cross from another Schengen country.
+
El Duque
post 8.Jan.2014, 06:26 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (linnsepinnse @ 1.Dec.2013, 09:14 PM) *
Hello, I have lived in the United States now for about 12 years. I met my husband 1 and 1/2 years ago, and we recently got married in August of this year. I am a dual-citizen ... (show full quote)

I live in the USA an my fianc? is from Sweden, we are moving next month. I summited my paper work in July and I got my response with an approval in less then a month. We had been living together for 6 year, we are not married yet. I think your process should be faster because you're married to him.

Summit your application online, make sure you scan and send all the paper work they ask for and it cost like $240 usd.
Then if you do it in the states once approve your have to make an appointment with the Swedish consulate in Washington, D.C. To get his biometric taken. I also think you can get it done in Sweden, but I don't know how longs that route takes.
Good luck any questions send me a message. I hope this help.

El Duque
+
Corinthian
post 8.Jan.2014, 03:37 PM
Post #6

I just did this move myself. If you can process at the consulate in Minneapolis my total application time was 2 weeks. I submitted it and it was approved in 2 weeks this includes consulate interview. Im in kiruna so my case may ha e been handled with a different section of migrationsverket. I was quite shocked but here I am in Sweden.

You can do all of your processing and get your permit to move to Sweden without going to the embassy in DC but once you arrive in Sweden you will need to goto a migrationsverket with a biometrics taking site. You will also need to register with skatteverket and forsakringskassan.

Processing from the US is remarkably fast.

Finding work though, thats am entirely different story.
+
El Duque
post 10.Jan.2014, 12:21 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Corinthian @ 8.Jan.2014, 02:37 PM) *
I just did this move myself. If you can process at the consulate in Minneapolis my total application time was 2 weeks. I submitted it and it was approved in 2 weeks this inclu ... (show full quote)

HI CORINTHIAN

I just want it to ask you a few questions?

1. How long how you been there?
2. Do you like it? An What has been your staying so far?
3. What do you miss about the USA?
4. What are you doing for work? Do you speak swedish?
+
lissiered
post 30.Sep.2014, 10:49 PM
Post #8

It seems that sometimes it goes faster by applying on the embassy instead of online?

Does anyone have this experience...MVH say it goes faster apply online but my friend had to wait 7 month before even getting an interview. If you book the appointment at the embassy directly, have the interview and then it gets sent to migrationsverket (MV) should that not go faster.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: