The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Lexbase - crime records online

A suggestion

Garry Jones
post 28.Jan.2014, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Swedes love a bit of gossip and a bit of scaremongering.

If you are not up to date, the site Lexbase allows you to click on a map of your street and read criminal convictions. It costs about 80kr for each conviction you download.

They have made about 25 million in two days of trading.

The site can be up because it is protected in the Swedish constituion.

It will take years to change the law as the constitution can only be changed each side of a General Election. In theory if the Government really cared they could call a General Election for March and a new on in May so there is a quick-fix but don't hold your breath.

However I believe I have a solution. When private-people did a credit check online the person being checked was not told. This was the case from 2005-2009. There was the same scaremongering going on and the same "impossible to change" attitude.

However it was solved merely by insisting that the person carries out the check is identified and the person being checked is told. (Kreditupplysning).This is run by UC (Upplysningscentralen).

Surely they could just add court records to this exiting law. So if I check on someone they are notified that I have checked up on them. If they have appealed and got off they can then ask for me to be sent further documents.

I am sure this compromise is fully workable but there does not seem to be any common sense at the moment. Some people are trying to shut the site down, the lawyer involved jumped off after death-threats to him AND his family. Surely this is not the way to go in society? Others are using the site to check up on people without valid reason or suspicion.

Would my idea work?
Go to the top of the page
+
Ivor stephé
post 29.Jan.2014, 02:06 AM
Post #2

While every one seems to be up in arms over this site, based on how it is portrayed in the Swedish media.

It is also worth noting that the site has been crashing due to the overwhelming amount of hits the site is receiving. Meaning just as many people who are not complaining are using the site.

Why bother changing it, when its already apparent that it fits within the swedish law.
As that would just be economic self harm to the owners.

And besides, even if the government make it illegal to offer this service.
While legal documents are available to the general public, it doesn't mean they can't just move outside of sweden and still broadcast to a swedish audience.

It just shows how important information is in this digital age, and why so many governments look to try and monitor or control it.
+
intrepidfox
post 29.Jan.2014, 07:48 AM
Post #3

@Gary Good idea

@Ivor I agree

I checked out my street and absolutely nothing so i will not be looking again but i can understand people looking especially if there is a pedophile or a rapist living next door.
+
LLHope
post 29.Jan.2014, 09:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 28.Jan.2014, 08:29 PM) *
However it was solved merely by insisting that the person carries out the check is identified and the person being checked is told. (Kreditupplysning).This is run by UC (Upplysningscentralen).

This is not exactly what happened. The law is different for credit checks, the reason in law that a person has to be informed when a detailed credit check is performed is because whoever performed the check has to have "good reason/basis" for asking for the credit information of someone. The reasoning behind the check can only be challenged if you are made aware that a check has actually been made. The site was by definition not following the law, which is why it was forced to notify persons checked. There is a difference between being told to follow the law and merely insisting notifications being sent!

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 28.Jan.2014, 08:29 PM) *
Surely they could just add court records to this exiting law. So if I check on someone they are notified that I have checked up on them.

No. It is public information, this new site has just gathered it together and made it available more conveniently, so to speak. Just as when there is a trial taking place members of the public can ask to view the evidence that is used in the court. Do you want to live in a society where court proceedings are held behind closed doors, records kept secret? How would you know that the system is not being manipulated in whatever shape or form? How do you know that is fair and conducted according to the will of the people? What purpose would it serve to notify someone that their court records have been checked?

If public authorities got their act together they would see the value in the information that they hold and create such services themselves and generate alternative sources of incomes rather than just increasing taxes, with appropriate checks and balances.
+
Mib
post 29.Jan.2014, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Don't commit the crime! Simples. Although there should be a time limit for it being public based on the severity of the crime. It would act as a deterrent to know that everyone will be able to find out your record with a few clicks.

My Brother-in-law appears on the list with a judegment and as far as I'm aware, he's not committed a serious crime, so I do wonder if you paid 80kr what you would probably find out is that he got a speeding ticket or something else. Won't pay...don't care.
+
Ivor stephé
post 30.Jan.2014, 12:45 AM
Post #6

All the information that is on the site is public record.
So there is nothing to say you need to pay the 80:-, as you can just make a phone call and get the info for free.

Its just as humans we feel less invasive of snooping, if we don't have to have any sort of physical contact through the automation of technology.

On a side note, bahnhoff shut down the site today after numerous media outlets got onto the idea and some could even say promoting the notion of the sites lack of security and the possibility of hacking it.

While the information is all public so to speak, I can't help but think if a government website had its security breached and to a large part certain newspapers were accessories to the crime we would be seeing a very different situation.

Says a lot about the judicial system in Sweden.

http://www.metro.se/nyheter/bahnhof-stange...3;H73o8qaWPNSP/
+
intrepidfox
post 30.Jan.2014, 12:52 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Ivor steph? @ 30.Jan.2014, 12:45 AM) *
All the information that is on the site is public record.So there is nothing to say you need to pay the 80:-, as you can just make a phone call and get the info for free.Its j ... (show full quote)

Very interesting. My question is who has bribed them? most operators could not care less. Piratebay is still going etc. Maybe the owner of Bahnhof is convicted for a hedious crime
+
Ivor stephé
post 30.Jan.2014, 01:14 AM
Post #8

The official statement is that the site has gone offline to protect consumers bank details from being hacked?

But from my understanding, all payment transactions were 3rd party.
Either by paypal or by a separate CC processor.

And neither one of them would disclose bank details to the site.
While other countries have the ability to shame certain companies through the press to cease trading or damage sales through exposure. I do fear that political pressure can be coerced to make people step outside the law while a blind eye is turned.

Secret handshakes are not secret if you wave them in the publics face.
+
friendonlyyours
post 30.Jan.2014, 09:03 AM
Post #9

Its down now... tongue.gif

Swedes like gossips about others not their self... tongue.gif
+
axiom
post 30.Jan.2014, 03:54 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (friendonlyyours @ 30.Jan.2014, 09:03 AM) *
Its down now... tongue.gif. Swedes like gossips about others not their self... tongue.gif

That comment I can't agree with, Sweden is one of the more open societies that exist. Lexbase didn't uncover secret information and "gossip" it this information is publicly available and you can still go to government agencies and find this out if you want.

All lexbase did was take the pain of looking for yourself out of the picture.

So in theory, the gossip is still there, I can stil find your entire criminal history, relatives in Sweden, salary, taxes, car ownership and great deal more with just your name or personnummer.

So important is this, that the government is powerless to stop Lexbase without changing the constitution. While I might not agree with Lexbase, the simple fact that such freedoms are enshrined within the constitution is admirable.
+
Seamus Sean
post 30.Jan.2014, 05:41 PM
Post #11

I remember a few years back a group, think they called themselves "ordinary decent criminals" or something like that, set up a website giving out names and addresses of those convicted for molesting children. I checked it out, as having young kids you
+
intrepidfox
post 30.Jan.2014, 06:03 PM
Post #12

[quote name='Seamus Sean' post='827674' date='30.Jan.2014, 05:41 PM']I remember a few years back a group, think they called themselves "ordinary decent criminals" or something like that, set up a website giving out names and addresses of those convicted for molesting children. I checked it out, as having young kids you
+
B.olesen
post 30.Jan.2014, 06:37 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 30.Jan.2014, 12:52 AM) *
Very interesting. My question is who has bribed them? most operators could not care less. Piratebay is still going etc. Maybe the owner of Bahnhof is convicted for a hedious crime

This man wasn't bribed, he was being threatened by lawmakers, government officials and members of the judiciary making statements that it might be possible for him to be sued for 'slander' (in the U.S. slander is the spoken word, libel is the written word - either way, to be sued for slander the information publicly stated has to be FALSE) if the information is not false, but a matter of public record then they are fear mongering on him and terrorizing him by use of veiled threats and lies - they should be the ones not only SUED but arrested for ''slander'' as they have slandered the reputation of this man, and falsely. In addition, they should be arrested for intimidation & terrorism. This was a witch hunt & their 'could be's' and fundamental lies about the legitimacy of what the site owner was doing led to death threats.

The real reason he closed down the site was because of direct death threats, not bribery. The media and the government created a storm of fear mongering controversy and shrill ululations of 'witch' with their finger pointed directly at the man running Lexbase - printed his photograph, etc. - and he decided it wasn't worth daily harassment, intimidation, terroristic threats, persecution and death threats. Right? (so much for caring about privacy)

BUT, let's not forget! This is the government/media cohorts who PRINTED the home address of Lars Vilks, who has a death fatwa on his head, who has been physically attacked, home arson - and whose life is and was already at risk from death at the hand of angry muslims - AND THEN SAID they didn't think it was wrong to do it, and that they didn't consider that publishing his home address would place him at risk. (of course after they retracted the address, but come on, are you serious?) Posting his 'secret' home address ONLINE wouldn't be detrimental to him in any way or cause any kind of risk or threat to his safety? What's next - posting Salmon Rushdie's secret address? OH NOBODY CAN KNOW WHERE THE PEDO'S LIVE, but here's LARS VILKS home address, because he's a danger to society. Right. They KNEW exactly what they were doing. NO WAY, no how that was an accident or that the editor wasn't fully aware of what kind of risk it would create for him.

It makes me sick to think about some smirking sick oppressive persecuting 'pretender of journalistic integrity' all happy after destroying a man's business, livelihood or literally endangering a man's life because they won't 'tow the line' with the EU rhetoric and lie and imposed fascist ideology of multicultural bliss with islam. That's a fact.,
+
Seamus Sean
post 30.Jan.2014, 06:50 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 30.Jan.2014, 06:03 PM) *
That was OG or Original Gangsters. A right bunch of nasty little kids. They even did debt collection

Aye that's the boys I was trying to think of, thanks for clearing that up for me. smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: