The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Best home internet provider

South of Sweden

*Guest*
post 3.Feb.2014, 08:05 PM
Post #1

Hello from Portugal!

I'm moving to the south, to Almhult, and i'm a little lost about home internet providers.

All sites are in swedish and i don't understand. I would like to know in your opinion what is the best company (and cheapest) to have fast and wireless internet at home.

I only want internet (not TV or telephone).

Thank you so much for your answers! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 3.Feb.2014, 08:35 PM
Post #2

It would really depend if your house has fibreoptic cable.

We don't. The old copper overhead cables have been removed too.

We have a Tele2 combined 4g router, 300kr a month gets us a speed of about 14-20.
+
snarky
post 3.Feb.2014, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Will you be living in an apartment? If so, it probably has fiber hooked up already, which will probably be the cheapest and you just need to sign up for.

Telia, Tele2, Bredbandsbolaget - are the three bigger internet companies you can find pretty much everywhere in Sweden, but they usually aren't the cheapest though...

http://www.telia.se/privat
http://www.tele2.se/
http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/
+
badkarma
post 4.Feb.2014, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Dont get tele2, seriously they have so much extra charges and make mistakes with bills/faktura constantly. Also they're not stable they change costs for everything and almost always increase costs.

I would go with either Bredbandsbolaget or Bahnhof for fiber.

i've had most ISP's available here throughout the years and those 2 were definatly the best. Altho i've heard since BBB became really big their service became alot worse. I'd go for Bahnhof tbh.
+
Abe L
post 4.Feb.2014, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Best is by far Telia, the worst is by far Tele2, if you want to settle for something cheaper in the middle then Bredbandsbolaget or Bahnhof aren't bad.
+
skogsbo
post 4.Feb.2014, 11:25 AM
Post #6

It's clearly regional, my telia mobile is fickle, and so would the BB if we went with them. Netonnet were very slow too, they upgrade our route/ receiver and it was a fraction of Tele2. Linking the phone to their route was problematic though.
+
Hisingen
post 4.Feb.2014, 02:00 PM
Post #7

I am out in the sticks somewhat, but about 1km. from a Telia mast, so I have their mobile BB. But I had an agreement that gave up to 40 Mb download for 299/month. That ran out, and the new rate would have been 399 for the less than the same, but since I visited their shop in town, I found I was able to continue the old agreement, so I was lucky.
But there has been very little problem with Telia overall. A visit to their nearest shop might well give you a good result. The personal approach is always preferable such that you can talk to them about your needs and usually get good answers and results. They have proven very helpful to both me and my wife when we have visited their shop.
Can't answer for other BB providers since I have been with Telia now for over twelve years.

Don't rush, take your time to talk to the providers, most of whom can speak English at least, and check out their maps of the coverage they say they have, and perhaps even take a trial agreement in the beginning to see that they give what they promise.
+
Hisingen
post 5.Feb.2014, 10:32 PM
Post #8

And thank you so much for your response to the help offered here. It is so encouraging when people who ask for help reply and acknowledge those who endeavour to answer you.
Have a nice day - - - - -
+
Mib
post 5.Feb.2014, 11:13 PM
Post #9

Can only speak for Stockholm, but if you have Three as your mobile provider, we got their 4G broadband up to 64Mbits with 100GB data each month for 199kr. Without a mobile contract, it was 299kr. However, I do believe there has been some shift in the market, which means that your data limit p/m has dropped. With Netflix, Apple TV, Yuotube and other streaming services growing, I would recommend a service without limits. However for the moment, 100GB P/m is just about enough.

Get everything put down in writing regardless of who you choose as the seller didn't have a f**king clue and told me there was no data limit and we also ended up with extra services we didn't ask for and it was a pain to get them stopped. I knew the limitations before I signed the agreement, but he somehow slipped in the extras.
+
Gordy
post 6.Feb.2014, 10:11 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Mib @ 5.Feb.2014, 11:13 PM) *
Can only speak for Stockholm, but if you have Three as your mobile provider, we got their 4G broadband up to 64Mbits with 100GB data each month for 199kr. Without a mobile con ... (show full quote)

There has been a huge change in the cost and capacity limits of 4G broadband in the last 6 months. The 100GB cap you have MiB now costs double the amount @ 398kr per month. Most of the other operators have reduced their capacities or increased prices or both. Telenor for example have gone from having one of the best offers which had no monthly cap to one of the worst with a max of just 12GB which isn't much use for anything beyond checking emails.

OP if your new place has fixed BB available over telephone line or cable then it is going to be by far your best option.
+
*Guest*
post 6.Feb.2014, 11:44 AM
Post #11

Thank you for the many replies smile.gif
I will read all with full attention.

(Bring all my family life to a new country in a few days has not left me much free time these last days to see all your aswers).

Here in Portugal, the internet by fiber with 100Mb its super cheap. To have 100 TV channels is what is expensive. 300kr for internet is quite expensive.

Thank you and all the best!
+
timmah
post 10.Feb.2014, 10:32 AM
Post #12

Hi there. I have Tele2 4G. It is good and the 900 MHz service covers everywhere I have been so far, even out in the country - I think they quote this as covering more than 90% of the country. 900 MHz is good as it goes through walls very well. The 2600 MHz 4G service from Tele2 (sucks at going through walls) is a bit more patchy, so I have just set the router to only use 900 MHz.

The coverage with Threes (Tre) 4G really sucks in comparison (I have Tele2 and Tre, one is a work thing) and if you are out in the country could be limited to 3G or worse. They have a coverage map on their website that will show you what you should be able to get.

I have never had a billing problem with Tele2 as yet, I do not think they can mess up a flat rate broadband bill.

If you are going for 4G be aware that as of recently unlimited broadband has been phased out completely - the last available unlimited package was from tre for business customers only and was phased out a month or two ago. Personal customers have not had this option for a while now.
+
kimchoudhary
post 29.Aug.2015, 08:13 AM
Post #13

The main telephone operator in Sweden is Teliasonera (or as it is known in Sweden Telia). If you settle in Sweden, you will need to get connected for phone and internet.

To get the best deal just compare the prices of the three different telecommunication networks and their current offers:

• Telia
  • Telenor
  • Tele2
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: