The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Weed in Sweden

Moving from Australia and would like some info.

*joek79*
post 13.Feb.2014, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Hi everybody,

I live in Australia and will be moving to Sweden late this year with family. I've been told by a friend who visited for a short holiday that weed is looked down upon as just as bad as drugs like heroin and crystal meth, is this true? What are the punishments like for being in possession of it like?

Ever since I was 11 I've never been able to get through a night without waking up around 15 times, sometimes even more. When I was 15 I started smoking weed most nights before bed and have had no problems sleeping ever since, so it would be a shame to have to give it up and use prescription drugs instead. I don't drink, smoke cigarettes or do any other drugs.

Thank you! smile.gif

Matthew.
Go to the top of the page
+
LLHope
post 13.Feb.2014, 01:29 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (joek79 @ 13.Feb.2014, 11:44 AM) *
I've been told by a friend who visited for a short holiday that weed is looked down upon as just as bad as drugs like heroin and crystal meth, is this true?

Yes. There is no difference with regards the law, they are all controlled substances.

QUOTE (joek79 @ 13.Feb.2014, 11:44 AM) *
What are the punishments like for being in possession of it like?

There are 3 levels of punishment:
1. Fine or prison up to 6 months
2. Prison up to 3 years
3. Prison for between 3 to 10 years.

It depends what you are doing, how much there was/is and how it is viewed in court. So simple possession of a small enough amount for personal consumption only would most likely be a fine, if a little more in your pocket then possible prison up to 6 months...if you had more than was judged to be for personal use, or intent to distribute then depending upon how much, either (2) or (3) ...growing it is (3).

As an immigrant you also risk having your permit withdrawn and being deported once you have served your sentence.
+
Opalnera
post 14.Feb.2014, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Oh I feel your struggle, I have horrible insomnia. I'm not a fan of the Mary Jane but as someone who has used prescription sleeping tablets which make you feel drowsy and hungover I totally understand your point of view. Just a warning: Temazapam (the most prescribed sleeping tablet in Oz) is considered a class A narcotic in Sweden. So if you do want to bring some prescription tablets with you from home make sure it's Stilnox. You'll probably want something legal to get you through until you um, "know a guy".
+
snarky
post 15.Feb.2014, 12:22 AM
Post #4

I will say that in Copenhagen there is a hippy type area called Christiania that sells weed, if you ever felt the need to hop down there. I would not suggest bringing anything into Sweden though.

I'm sure this doesn't help, but in the off chance you move to Malmo and maybe work in Copenhagen, you have that option, lol.
+
cherrybubble
post 15.Feb.2014, 12:58 AM
Post #5

The "native swedes" have an interestingly alarmed attitude about marijuana. Like, they were taught in school that its as bad as cocaine or heroin. They get all saucer-eyed and worried if you tell them you've smoked. Ever.
rolleyes.gif
Its actually very endearing.

BUT where I live now, I smell marijuana smoke multiple times a day at different places. The other day I walked onto the subway platform (which is not outdoors) and a trio of teenage girls threw away a blunt onto the tracks and ran away giggling. Clearly, the attitude in my suburb is super relaxed. This is definitely because of all the immigrants. I do not smoke (MJ), so I'm afraid I cannot help, but I wanted to reassure you that (at least where I live) it is very common and no one seems afraid of the authorities when they stand outside in the courtyard and smoke.

Welcome!
smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 15.Feb.2014, 01:08 AM
Post #6

Maybe the "Swedes" look upon it as a stepping stone leading to really bad stuff, I know I do...living in the Big Apple I have had classmates(9th grade)OD on the heavy stuff and they all started on pot.

Just my rant, but it did happen.
+
Hisingen
post 15.Feb.2014, 12:08 PM
Post #7

If you are that desperate for weed you can come and help me get rid of the weeds in my garden. There should be enough to last you a lifetime - - -

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

- - - especially as a lifetime on that weed will not be a long one.
+
Svensksmith
post 15.Feb.2014, 12:18 PM
Post #8

Slightly off topic, but related to the sleep issue: I take a tablet each night that has melatonin, valerian root and GABA which are all natural (and legal!) sleep aides.

I sleep like a rock.
+
Opalnera
post 15.Feb.2014, 01:50 PM
Post #9

I know plenty of Swedes who do smoke a bit (or a lot) of the green leafy stuff, it's not that it doesn't happen but it's true that it's not as talked about as in other countries.
+
Cheeseroller
post 6.Jun.2018, 09:07 AM
Post #10

Svensksmith - I would be interested to know the band and name of the tablets. I bought some from Amazon that work very well, but are limited to 7 days use.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Jun.2018, 10:58 AM
Post #11

Melatonin, also known as N-acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine, is a hormone that is produced by the pineal gland in animals and regulates sleep and wakefulness. (Wikipedia). I get a timed released version from Swansons vitamins that works well. I also get Valerian (a perennial flowering plant native to Europe and Asia... Wikipedia) from the same source. However, I am not sure what is sold in Sweden. Try a local health food store and see what they have in these.

Good luck.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Jun.2018, 06:21 PM
Post #12

And what of the proverbial glass of red wine before bedtime???
+
Bsmith
post 6.Jun.2018, 10:50 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 6.Jun.2018, 05:21 PM) *
And what of the proverbial glass of red wine before bedtime???

Yeah, but for the prostate...
+
rex
post 6.Jun.2018, 11:43 PM
Post #14

It's a weird taboo. I know a lot of Swedes who get shitfaced on drugs and alcohol every time they're out of the country, and a few who specifically travel to Thailand to fuck boy-whores, but once they come back to Sweden then it's a completely different story. I think in my entire life I've only seen a handful of Swedes who were okay with smoking some weed. I believe the term I'm looking for is hypocrites or perhaps uptight. The kids of immigrants and the immigrants themselves are much more relaxed with respect to weed, though.

At the same time, it's not difficult to procure some for personal use but the quality and price tend to suffer because of the whole illegal aspect of weed. If you want a comparison, think of the whole war on drugs and prohibition bullshit during the Nixon administration. That's where Sweden is nowadays with weed.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Jun.2018, 07:24 AM
Post #15

I smoke two joints in the morning, I smoke to joints at night, I smoke two joints in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I smoke two joints in times of peace, and two in time of war. I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints, and then I smoke two more.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: