The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Fed up with racism in sweden

Just because I'm black

Tindy
post 4.Apr.2014, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Yesterday in malmo I went to one of the beauty shops in walking street malmo, to buy some make up because I had run out it. So has I enter the shop and went to the area where the make up brand I use stands , there were two shop attendants in front of the counter. So they said hi and ask if they can help in swedish, I told them I'm just looking I'll let them know if I want help.
Less than 1 min the ask me again if I need help and I answer them I'm still looking. Then again less than 1 min one attendant come close to me asking if I have find want i was looking for, I was feeling so pressured and I was there to buy a lipgloss and I was taking my time to look if I can buy another shade of color this time but this two shop attendant made me feel like I was there to steal. The second shop attendant left what she was doing behind the counter and come to stand behind me. So I was surrounded with two shop attendants giving me fake smiles but deep down I knew what they were thinking. I know that because it has happen more than 5 times. Just because I'm a black woman doesn't mean I come there to steal or it doesn't mean I can not afford products with famous brand name.
In the end I bought my lipgloss and left. So has anyone who is none white ever experience this racial thing?
Go to the top of the page
+
Svensksmith
post 4.Apr.2014, 02:12 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Tindy @ 4.Apr.2014, 01:13 PM) *
Yesterday in malmo I went to one of the beauty shops in walking street malmo, to buy some make up because I had run out it. So has I enter the shop and went to the area where ... (show full quote)

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder.
+
Tindy
post 4.Apr.2014, 02:32 PM
Post #3

Svensksmith I guess your white so I'll just ignore your reply coz you will never understand it
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Apr.2014, 03:04 PM
Post #4

5 times, one store???

I'd shop elsewhere!!!
+
Tindy
post 4.Apr.2014, 03:46 PM
Post #5

It's three times same store. The first time I thought they are being friendly , second time I thought I'm being paranoid but third time yesterday I was sure it was more than friendly customer care but more of we have our eyes on you. The other two times was jewellery store and sport store
+
jostein
post 4.Apr.2014, 05:08 PM
Post #6

I feel for you, it does not seem like a pleasant experience. I do not enjoy being the odd one out or being automatically mistrusted myself. Being innocent and of good intention, how can you defend yourself? Its an impossible situation.

Then again, such is the way us people function. Dreaming of a world without racism is to dream of a world without people in it. Consider, even with all the enormous amounts of antiracist propaganda us swedes are fed each year, we are still racist. Just like all the other peoples in the world.
+
LauraCristescu
post 4.Apr.2014, 05:37 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (jostein @ 4.Apr.2014, 05:08 PM) *
I feel for you, it does not seem like a pleasant experience. I do not enjoy being the odd one out or being automatically mistrusted myself. Being innocent and of good intentio ... (show full quote)

I think in Sweden, a lot of the times, it's more of a backlash of those enormous anti racist propaganda.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Apr.2014, 06:08 PM
Post #8

Amen, and it is not only in Sweden!!!
+
Tindy
post 4.Apr.2014, 06:37 PM
Post #9

I know racism will always be there . What irritated me most was being asked if I need help to many times like I didn't hear them the first, second and third time, and them thinking I'm so dump that i couldn't read there body language and the fake smiles.
+
LLHope
post 4.Apr.2014, 07:02 PM
Post #10

There is a saying

The first person to mention skin colour is usually the real racist

OP does it in the title and opening post, and @Ivor you have mentioned it for no apparent reason on several occasions. Just remind people that we are all evolved from Africa so actually there is no such thing as Race.
+
Tindy
post 4.Apr.2014, 07:41 PM
Post #11

@LL hope if it has not happen to you doesn't mean it's not happening, so don't be so ignorant about it and gather information before judging and by your post I can tell you ain't dark skin so u can never understand it.
+
Svensksmith
post 4.Apr.2014, 08:16 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Tindy @ 4.Apr.2014, 02:32 PM) *
Svensksmith I guess your white so I'll just ignore your reply coz you will never understand it

How utterly racist of you.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 4.Apr.2014, 08:25 PM
Post #13

It seems the OP will say nobody understands when people are trying to.

We all, at some time in our existence will be subjected to racism from others that differ from us...it's the way of the world and will not change.
+
Tindy
post 4.Apr.2014, 08:47 PM
Post #14

@svensksmith are you offended? Just because I called a spade a spade not a big spoon. I'm not here to sugar coat anything but say it has it is. Unless you have experience any kind of racism, that makes you feel less human than others then don't judge.

Silent racism we face it here everyday. The body language and face expression says a lot .
+
Svensksmith
post 4.Apr.2014, 08:53 PM
Post #15

You assume that because I am white, I cannot understand or experience racism. That is racist. Of course I can experience racism. And have.

Whites don't have a monopoly on racism.
+

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: