2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Monthly cost of owning a dog in Sweden?

Insurance on a pit bull.

Sharrell93
post 5.Apr.2015, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Hi, I moved to Sweden about 3 months ago & am looking into getting a pitbull. Was wondering a few things, A.) I know it isn't legally required to insure your pets (my mom's cocker spaniel isn't insured), but seeing as pit's have a bad reputation, is it mandatory for bigger dogs to be insured? & B.) What cost per month am I looking at for raising a dog? Let's say a price with insurance and a price without?

Any insight would be much appreciated!
(& Please no hating on the breed - no dog is born aggressive, it's poor ownership to blame, thank you!)
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 5.Apr.2015, 08:29 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Sharrell93 @ 5.Apr.2015, 07:20 PM) *
Hi, I moved to Sweden about 3 months ago & am looking into getting a pitbull. Was wondering a few things, A.) I know it isn't legally required to insure your pets (my ... (show full quote)

If you cannot work out the above yourself then you should not have a dog
+
Sharrell93
post 5.Apr.2015, 09:06 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 5.Apr.2015, 07:29 PM) *
If you cannot work out the above yourself then you should not have a dog

Why would you take time out of your day to be a fuck face?
+
gplusa
post 5.Apr.2015, 11:04 PM
Post #4

No dog is born aggressive, my arse. There is a reason why the American Pitbull Terrier is not recognised by the majority of international kennel clubs including the world governing body. Dodgy owners have to resort to starting their own fake clubs and register their dogs as cross-breed in order to get insurance. I wouldn't go holding my breath waiting for sympathetic replies.
+
ChocOwl
post 6.Apr.2015, 10:55 AM
Post #5

OP, if you know enough Swedish you are better off using google to find this information from a reliabe source, rather than posting a query and getting replies from random people (such as me). I think you have previously written in other threads that you speak Swedish.
You could try googling
m?nadskostnad hund
pitbull f?rs?kring
hundf?rs?kring
kostnad hund

I don't mean it is wrong to post a query on this forum, but it is better for you to look for answers then post a query when you get stuck and can't find any information.
+
Emerentia
post 6.Apr.2015, 12:11 PM
Post #6

I think it's very good that you think this through before you get a dog, of all the costs during it's life time and so on, so they don't catch you by surprise.

It is not manditory, even if it has been suggestions in the riksdag that it should be, but no law like that has been passed, as far as I know. It's up to the dog owner to make a responsible decion.

If you don't insure your dog, make sure that you have at least 25 000 kr on a bank account for just this purpose, money that you don't use for anything else. It's better to save up before, so you don't become one of those clueless dog owners who are like "Oh, my dog bit another dog/got bitten/got sick/got injured/happens to eat something that it shouldn't have/get a tumour, and now I don't have money to pay for the vet bills, what shall I so, can somebody help me?". Get the money before, and then buy the dog.

I don't own a dog, but I wouldn't take the chances of not having an insurance, it feels like a gamble where you probably will end up in the losing side and when you stand there with the 20 000 vet bill you will be like... "Why didn't I just get an insurance for a couple of thousand a year...". There are probably some other things you spend like 200 kr a month on that you can cut instead. But that's me, I'm a rather safe than sorry kind of person.

Some people have a "It wouldn't happen to me/to my dog"-attitude, and that could cost them dearly if they have to take expensive loans to cover "unexpected" vet costs. It's better to expect the unexpected and count on that your dog will need a certain amount of costly vet care, than the other way around. But some people are like that, they buy a car, a washing machine or whatever and act with total surprise when it breaks down. "Can they do that? Do I have to pay thousands for repair? Totally unexpected". The same people also get surprised when they go to the dentists and get an "unexpected" cost. Don't be that person.

And I think it's so unnecessary and cruel when people put their dogs down, dog that could've had a good and happy life after an operation, which the owner's chose they couldn't afford. And they act like "But what could I do? I didn't expect it to cost that much!" and you think "Well, you could've gotten an insurance or saved up money before you bought the dog." I don't think people who can't afford the costs of having a dog, shouldn't have dogs, so make sure you can afford the dog you get. And with that I mean all the "unexpected" costs.

Go to a dog forum and discuss with experienced dog owners about what cost they have had for their dogs. I don't think anybody would mind if you write in English instead if Swedish, if that is more comfortable for you.

And before you take on this commitment, are you sure you are going to stay in Sweden for a long time to come, the life time of this dog? It could be very stressful for a dog to fly and going through quarantine and such things.

Here are some links that might could be useful (in Swedish):

+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Apr.2015, 02:33 PM
Post #7

Having a dog is as big a responsibility as having a child...except you are not legally responsible for a child if it attacks and injures/kills another dog or person...

About pit bulls...don't go there!!!
+
flaneur
post 10.Oct.2017, 04:42 PM
Post #8

I’ve got a couple of dogs running around on this forum, posting nonsense. They only look abandoned, ignored, miserable and somewhat dangerous, but don’t worry - I own them all and they’re very cheap to maintain / easy to manipulate. wub.gif
+
Bsmith
post 10.Oct.2017, 05:39 PM
Post #9

woof woof
+
flaneur
post 10.Oct.2017, 05:43 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 10.Oct.2017, 06:39 PM) *
woof woof

There’s my boy! smile.gif
+
Bsmith
post 10.Oct.2017, 08:46 PM
Post #11

Sorry flanny, you're barking up the wrong tree. Best of luck finding your lid. I hear there is one for every pot.
+
flaneur
post 10.Oct.2017, 09:08 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 10.Oct.2017, 09:46 PM) *
Sorry flanny, you're barking up the wrong tree. Best of luck finding your lid. I hear there is one for every pot.

Good boy!!! wub.gif Who's my fella'? Who's my buddy??? biggrin.gif Here you go:

Attached Image
+
intrepidfox
post 10.Oct.2017, 09:19 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (flaneur @ 10.Oct.2017, 08:08 PM) *
Good boy!!! wub.gif Who's my fella'? Who's my buddy??? biggrin.gif Here you go:.
Attached Image

You probably use them when you do doggy style in the toilets
+
flaneur
post 10.Oct.2017, 09:20 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 10.Oct.2017, 10:19 PM) *
You probably use them when you do doggy style in the toilets

Here's a snack for my friend! smile.gif biggrin.gif

Attached Image
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Oct.2017, 10:12 PM
Post #15

Who said TheLocal lacked intellectual content???
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,458 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles