The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Sweden, or was that Switzerland?

wellygirl
post 22.Feb.2007, 06:20 PM
Post #1

http://www.thelocal.se/6488/20070222/

I thought it was just us kiwis that had this problem
(our excuse is that it's on the other side of the world hence we are not so familiar with the difference...)
To be honest I didn't actually know where Sweden (or Switzerland) was in the world, before I met the Swedish love of my life!!!

Anyone else had this problem with muddling up the countries?
Go to the top of the page
+
Loulou
post 22.Feb.2007, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Hi there I've heard this being confused before but find it a bit embarassing,you're pretty brave for admitting it! I'm also from your side of the world but still knew Sweden and Switzerland and don't think that living in the southern hemisphere is an excuse for not knowing. When your boyfriend told you he was Swedish where in the world did you think he was from?

Have a look at this article:
http://www.metro.se/se/article/tt/2007/02/...ebild/index.xml
+
wellygirl
post 22.Feb.2007, 06:58 PM
Post #3

well I realise that a LOT of people have this problem so not such a big embarrasment to be a small dot in a large picture.

Before I got to the age where I had the time to think outside the square I lived in and got curious about the big wide world out there I never really was too worried with memorising geography fatcs.

5 years a go I would never have imagined that I would be living the Sweden in the not too distant future... So it's still a very exotic idea to me!

I can spend hours on google earth now... you learn something every day!

biggrin.gif
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 22.Feb.2007, 07:18 PM
Post #4

I didn't know where Sweden was until the day I travelled to the Baltic sea. Where sweden is today, there was only the baltic sea, when I was young...

An old map:
[img]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7834/theeuofficialmapofeuropff0.th.jpg[/img]
+
The Moozeylicious One
post 22.Feb.2007, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Espen laugh.gif I nearly peed myself then
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 22.Feb.2007, 10:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (wellygirl)
http://www.thelocal.se/6488/20070222/

I thought it was just us kiwis that had this problem
(our excuse is that it's on the other side of the world hence we are not so familiar with the difference...)
To be honest I didn't actually know where Sweden (or Switzerland) was in the world, before I met the Swedish love of my life!!!

Anyone else had this problem with muddling up the countries?

You have NO idea how prevalent that scenario is! I have even heard Syria added to the conversation. I try to say Switzerland, chocolate. Sweden, Vikings. Then they say Vikings?
Once I heard about Eskimos living there.

It ain't easy being a Swedeophile.
The New York Times during an article on the World Cup, positioned a Swedish flag a few miles west of OSLO!
Maybe they know something that Espen keeps to himself laugh.gif
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 22.Feb.2007, 11:39 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock)
You have NO idea how prevalent that scenario is! I have even heard Syria added to the conversation. I try to say Switzerland, chocolate. Sweden, Vikings. Then they say Vikings?
Once I heard about Eskimos living there.

It ain't easy being a Swedeophile.
The New York Times during an article on the World Cup, positioned a Swedish flag a few miles west of OSLO!
Maybe they know something that Espen keeps to himself laugh.gif

Oslo is 100km from the swedish border, and it's maybe only 60-70km by air. The best swedish skiiers usually lives close to the border...
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 22.Feb.2007, 11:40 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Moozeylicious)
Espen laugh.gif I nearly peed myself then

laugh.gif :wink:
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Feb.2007, 12:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Bad Neger Espen)
Oslo is 100km from the swedish border, and it's maybe only 60-70km by air. The best swedish skiiers usually lives close to the border...

And that means?
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 23.Feb.2007, 12:21 AM
Post #10

[quote=Gamla Hälsingebock]Oslo is 100km from the swedish border, and it's maybe only 60-70km by air. The best swedish skiiers usually lives close to the border...[/quote]

And that means?[/quote]
That could mean: They tried to put the flag on a place near the border, or they just don't know geography well enough... biggrin.gif Maybe they don't know the flags very well...

Some americans think Scandinavia is it's own continent... laugh.gif
+
FR
post 23.Feb.2007, 12:38 AM
Post #11

Absolut and Abba give Sweden an air of excitement. rofl

Although, I must admit to cheering up some friends by playing them my Abba Oro album. They couldn't help but smile. I suppose the mood would have improved even more with a little Absolut.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Feb.2007, 01:11 AM
Post #12

[quote=Bad Neger Espen][quote=Gamla Hälsingebock]Oslo is 100km from the swedish border, and it's maybe only 60-70km by air. The best swedish skiiers usually lives close to the border...[/quote]

And that means?[/quote]
That could mean: They tried to put the flag on a place near the border, or they just don't know geography well enough... biggrin.gif Maybe they don't know the flags very well...

Some americans think Scandinavia is it's own continent... laugh.gif[/quote]

Yes they do.
But, no, Espen.
What I saw was the old map when we were joined together as one country. We lived in peace and harmony then. Then somebody spoiled it by singing 10,000 Swedes running through the weeds being chased by one Norwegian.

Was that you?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Feb.2007, 01:15 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (FR)
Absolut and Abba give Sweden an air of excitement. rofl

Although, I must admit to cheering up some friends by playing them my Abba Oro album. They couldn't help but smile. I suppose the mood would have improved even more with a little Absolut.

Sorry, FR.

I am too old to have enjoyed ABBA.
You want to talk about Absolut. You got my attention.
Hey. What about Lapp Lisa?
+
FR
post 23.Feb.2007, 01:16 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock)
Was that you?

Was he brandishing a herring?
+
FR
post 23.Feb.2007, 01:21 AM
Post #15

+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: