Reply to this topic

Swedish Hunting Course

Available in English?

jbeardsley
post 24.Nov.2016, 06:35 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

I moved here to Sweden about six months ago now, and am living in a rural area where hunting is a common past time. Many of my Swedish friends are encouraging me to get my hunting licence so I can join them - from what they describe it sounds like it can be a lot of fun. I have done some reading and understand that there are two common methods of obtaining a hunting licence: either obtaining study books and sitting an exam in your own time, or attending an intensive course over 5-7 days with an exam at the end.

While I do have some experience with firearms and hunting, this was a while ago so I feel it would be best for me to undertake a full course and start fresh. My Swedish is progressing slowly, but I don't feel it's currently at a level to undertake a course and assessment.

Rather than wait for my Swedish skills to improve before signing up, I was wondering if anyone knows of a full hunting course that's offered in English? I'm prepared to travel so the location doesn't matter too much.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Maurice
post 2.Dec.2016, 12:17 PM
Post #2

It depends where you live, if you live in Norrland in northern Sweden chances of getting an english hunting course is low.
I mean you migrated to Sweden and they expect you to understand the language before you participate in their society and culture.
It would be weird if a Swede moves to America and asks for hunting classes in Swedish because he can't speak english.
+
smullyan
post 2.Dec.2016, 12:31 PM
Post #3

I'm confused, you say it depends where he lives ... that implies that there are courses available in English that you know of but yet you haven't included that information. I am sure OP understand that he is in Sweden and people speak Swedish, pretty difficult to walk out the door and not notice. To me in his post I don't get the impression that he is implying some sort of privileged right to be taught in English as you seem to be suggesting but rather he has been here six months, hasn't become fully fluent but yet wants to go out with his buddies. That seems entirely reasonable to me. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are courses or not OP. I am in a similar situation in that I want to get my ham radio license but can't seem to find if there is anyone that offers the course in English. I will gladly take the course when I finish SAS3 in a year or so but would really like to get started now, so I sympathize with your request.
+
Emerentia
post 2.Dec.2016, 12:58 PM
Post #4

I don't know anything about hunting, but I found these page when I googled "jägarexamen på engelska".

http://www.sundsta.se/jagarexamen-stockholm/

It says "Vi erbjuder också möjligheten att genomföra utbildningen på engelska. " (We also offers the opportunity to take the course in English) It's at a mansion north of Stockholm (Norrtälje). Sundsta säteri. It seems to cost 9900 for 3 days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1MBHb2Am8#t=36

http://www.godsjakt.se/jagarexamen/

It says that you can take their classes if you speak English. ("Det går även att ordna för er som är engelsk/tysk/dansk/norsk talande."). It seems to cost 8 500 kr for 2 days. It's at a castle in Skåne (Bosjökloster, Höör) or a mansion south of Stockholm (Vidbynäs, Nykvarn).
+
Maurice
post 2.Dec.2016, 03:41 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (smullyan @ 2.Dec.2016, 12:31 PM) *
I'm confused, you say it depends where he lives ... that implies that there are courses available in English that you know of but yet you haven't included that informa ... (show full quote)

I didn't meaned to be rude, the first sentence saying the more you guy up north the more difficult it is to find an english hunting course, what means there are possibilities to learn to hunt in english.
The 2nd part was just my opinion, I think people should really know a language really good before they eventually move there because it only makes it harder to find a job, practice hobby's or find friends for example. II'm taking a 3 year swedish course before eventually moving there. ( I'm 18, young and dumb so sorry if I came over like a rude person, never had to intention tho! )
+
Brit Viking
post 21.Sep.2017, 11:18 PM
Post #6

How did this end up for you please mate?
I too am interested in taking these Courses.
I do have my DSC1 (Deer Stalking Course 1) from the UK which is an intensive 40 hour course which takes some homework to pass as it covers EU regulations regarding putting food into the food chain.
I took that as I lived in Norway previously and that was good enough to enable me to hunt there.
Would you know if that is the case here?
I would still have to take other courses though as I'd like to hunt moose, although probably only once as wild boar is my game.
Any information would be gratefully recieved.
Jeg snakker litt Norsk, and am working on my Svensk.
Cheers,
Phil.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,717 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles