4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Moved from England

Struggling to find work

Kyle986
post 26.Jun.2017, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Hi there this is my first ever post so please excuse me if I have done anything wrong and please let me know. This will be a bit of a read but any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I am 24 years and moved to Sweden from England at the end of 2016 to be with my girlfriend and I still haven't managed to get a job. I signed up with Arbetsförmedlingen and get help from a company called Arcus with CV and personal letter writing as well as applying to jobs. In England I worked as full time IT support but there just aren't many jobs at the pay grade I was at in the Värmland area where I live now. I have had some call backs for jobs but have been rejected as I am not fluent in Swedish which is understandable given the amount of my time spent on the phone. I have been learning Swedish with computer and phone apps including Babbel and Duo lingo since the end of 2015 but I am no where near fluent.

I can understand quite well but I find speaking Swedish hard. I want to go on the SFI (Swedish for Immigrants) course but you need a personal number to get on it and I can't get a personal number until I get a job contract; This is where I am stuck.

Does anyone have any tips on finding jobs either in English or where I do not need to speak to people a lot, then once I have a part time or temporary job, I can do the SFI course, become much better at Swedish and continue to apply for any job I like. Also any trainee jobs would be great as there isn't as great a demand for IT support jobs as the was just outside London where I used to live so I would gladly train in a new profession. I will be moving hopefully near to Sunne, Kil or Karlstad so anything around these areas would be great, or online jobs which I am also looking into.

My life has been on hold for several months. I've spoken to Arbetsförmedlingen and skatterverket many times being passed around between different people and sent back and forth saying it's the other company that has to help you and i'm stuck looking for jobs which I know I will be rejected for. They just want me to keep on applying until I get one but no one cares about my situation. I will keep on applying but am still looking for help. It seems strange to me that I need a job to get on the SFI course which is supposed to help me get a job. My plan was to start it when I moved here and by now I would be very good at Swedish and be working.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for any advice. =)
Go to the top of the page
+
Martian
post 26.Jun.2017, 10:52 AM
Post #2

My assumption is that you are an EU citizen. How about going through school route? If you get admitted to a University, you can always use that to apply for person number as well, rather than waiting until you get a job. One problem solved short-term. The job issue is a long-term problem, which will eventually get solved, depending you how fast you grasp the language fluently. If you are inpatient however, you can change your profession to software/web/app development or anything in that line cos they are highly in demand in Sweden.
+
Svedallas
post 26.Jun.2017, 11:07 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Kyle986 @ 26.Jun.2017, 11:22 AM) *
Hi there this is my first ever post so please excuse me if I have done anything wrong and please let me know. This will be a bit of a read but any help or advice is greatly ap ... (show full quote)

Unless you get a job with an international company (which is rare in your parts).
The solution to your "situation" is - you must learn Swedish.
This is Sweden! wink.gif

If the refugees are forced to do it, so should you.

Another option would be to get a job in the UK and commute back and forth.
Good luck.
+
Bsmith
post 26.Jun.2017, 11:10 AM
Post #4

I was able to get a job with a moving company with very rudimentary Swedish. Summer is a busy season and they are often in need of willing workers. Good luck.
+
Martian
post 26.Jun.2017, 11:29 AM
Post #5

Another option is moving your girlfriend to UK. It will be easier for her to get a job in the UK than the other way around. Goodluck
+
Martian
post 26.Jun.2017, 11:37 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 26.Jun.2017, 12:07 PM) *
The solution to your "situation" is - you must learn Swedish.. This is Sweden! wink.gif . If the refugees are forced to do it, so should you.

The bold part made your reply worthless. If you read between the lines, the OP did not tell you he or she is not willing to learn. Do you even know that it is impossible to register to SFI without a person number? Common!
+
Mib
post 26.Jun.2017, 11:38 AM
Post #7

1. The apps and online learning is okay. Try meetups.com to see if there are any local Swedish speaking groups. Also, Internations is another group to join, although I don't know if there would be something in Värmland.

2. Networking/volunteering is your best route while you apply for positions. Join as many groups as possible and meet as many people as you can. As someone mentioned, start a course especially in your area of speciality as they will have contacts within the industry in the local area.

3. What about internships? Have you been able to try that route? It's not perfect but can get you an opportunity.

4. Make a note of the IT companies in your area and those that are attending the IT shows in Stockholm, Malmö and Gothenburg. Maybe there will be an opportunity to work on a contract basis remotely.

5. Are there any international companies in your area you could contact?

6. See what opportunities exist to start up your own business offering services to local businesses and private customers.

7. Register with IT agencies in the UK as many of my Swedish colleagues have been contacted by them for jobs in Sweden.

8. Check out Udacity and others who offer online training related to the IT industry to expand your skills. Udacity offers what they call Nano Degrees in courses that have been designed by facebook, Oracle and other large IT companies. So, they're relevant to now. Web development, big data are some of the in demand skills.

9. Check out the agencies in IT to see which skills are in demand and then focus on training/education to those areas. The more in demand, the less requirement for Swedish at the start.

10. Don't feel bad or depressed if you keep getting knocked back. If you have the determination with age on your side, you'll find what you're looking for.

Finally, try to be innovative ie create an online website with your CV. Knock on doors, make calls directly to companies that aren't advertising. Stay positive and open to opportunities. You might have to take a lower salary initially, but just think of it as a stepping stone. It's always easier to get a job when you're in a job.

GOOD LUCK!
+
the_austrian
post 26.Jun.2017, 12:13 PM
Post #8

Hello,

I hope you are well.

There is a UK Account Manager position available with our competitors. I normally would not recommend competitor's positions, but as they are looking for a native British English speaker, I thought I would share this with you smile.gif

https://academicpositions.eu/career/uk-account-manager/2

Best wishes
+
gse1986
post 26.Jun.2017, 12:16 PM
Post #9

RE SFI, two things:

1) My understanding is the rule is that you DON'T need a personnummer, even though some places will insist, you could try and pursue it a bit further - "Lära sig svenska
Utbildningen Svenska för invandrare (SFI) anordnas av kommunerna. Den som är bosatt i Sverige har rätt att läsa SFI (skollagen 22 kapitlet 13 §). Enligt skollagen räknas inte bara den som är folkbokförd som bosatt, utan också den som har rätt till utbildning till följd av EU-rätten (29 kapitlet 2 §). Det har till exempel EU-medborgare som bor i Sverige och har uppehållsrätt."

whether you have uppehållsrätt or not could be up for discussion. You could also request a personnummer via the sambo route, presuming either you or your sambo have sufficient funds to support yourselves...

2) Don't think SFI will make you fluent in Swedish. As has been mentioned above, the best way is to get out there speaking. Insist your girlfriend speaks NO English with you, only Swedish. Find some things to do in your spare time, not only to improve your Swedish but also to give you something to do!

+
Essex in Stockholm
post 26.Jun.2017, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Hi there, if you ever happen to live in the Stockholm area let me know as i'm always on the look out for Brits to work in my sales team.

A big tip though is to call direct to companies, regardless of whether they are recruiting or not. Also, sharpen up on LinkedIn skills as this is a great way to get straight infront of the right people
+
nicola4444
post 26.Jun.2017, 01:45 PM
Post #11

Hi @Kyle986

Is moving to a bigger city like Stockholm, Malmö or Gothenburg an option?

My friend's sambo moved to Stockholm for her (from Halmstad if i remember correctly), so she would have a better chance of getting a job, and it worked out for them

It will mean you have the apartment situation to contend with, but if you can afford a deposit together, you should be ok?

+
Temp
post 26.Jun.2017, 02:31 PM
Post #12

"just aren't many jobs at the pay grade I was at"

Maybe I read too much into that statement, but if there's something at lower pay grade maybe it's worth taking to then work back up again whilst practicing speaking Swedish

Salaries in Sweden aren't really comparable to UK - then again, work-life balance is also not comparable (being better in my view)

Good Luck!
+
the_austrian
post 26.Jun.2017, 02:58 PM
Post #13

This might not have much to do with your question, but with Temp's response.

I have an account management job and I worked normal pace, as I would do in any country.

My boss called me into a meeting room and sat me down with the words: "You are putting your heart and life into this job. This might be normal for where you are from, but it is not typical Swedish. Find your balance. Relax a little more."

And I swear I was not exhausting myself at all ...
+
Svedallas
post 26.Jun.2017, 03:13 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Martian @ 26.Jun.2017, 12:37 PM) *
The bold part made your reply worthless. If you read between the lines, the OP did not tell you he or she is not willing to learn. Do you even know that it is impossible to re ... (show full quote)

SFI is not the only route to learning Swedish.

I know people who have been so dedicated to self-learn through watching TV, reading newspapers, borrowing books, and joined groups to practice their Swedish. All grasped the language in half the time.

6 months. Common!

+
Svedallas
post 26.Jun.2017, 03:15 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 26.Jun.2017, 12:10 PM) *
I was able to get a job with a moving company with very rudimentary Swedish. Summer is a busy season and they are often in need of willing workers. Good luck.

QUOTE (Martian @ 26.Jun.2017, 12:29 PM) *
Another option is moving your girlfriend to UK. It will be easier for her to get a job in the UK than the other way around. Goodluck

+1
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,805 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles