3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

American looking to move to Sweden!

Interested in moving to Stockholm

TNic
post 7.Jul.2017, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Hello!

I am an African American female in my early 20's looking into moving to Stockholm. I major in both finance and marketing and will be taking Swedish courses this Fall. I recently returned back to America after living in Sweden for 6 months, but it didn't hit me how much I would miss the place until I left. I graduate college in less than a year and I'm more than sure I want to move back to this beautiful country and start a new life there. I recently have been looking into jobs within the communications and marketing field in Stockholm and wanted to know how difficult is it to find a job, since I'm not a Swedish citizen?
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 7.Jul.2017, 11:50 AM
Post #2

It will be difficult but you never know until you try. I would imagine that, in you field, being fluent in Swedish would be a big plus.
+
the_austrian
post 7.Jul.2017, 12:59 PM
Post #3

Hi TNic,

I think it is possible, especially if you speak another language than Swedish/English. I was always asked which languages in addition to English I spoke.
+
Sthlm83
post 7.Jul.2017, 01:13 PM
Post #4

Working in marketing & communications myself, I can say that it's a field with a lot of competition. On the other hand there's also steady stream of job postings within marketing (at least in Stockholm), so nothing is impossible.

Not to discourage you, but be aware that being A) recently graduated B ) not fluent in Swedish, and c) not a EU citizen will make it more difficult for you. That said, none of those are absolute reasons for you not to land a job. Despite the overall sentiment on the Local that Swedes are racist introverts who would never give a non-Swede a chance, I meet people from all over the world EVERY DAY through my work, so there are definitely more than a handful who have succeeded in what you are set out to do.

Just BE PREPARED for a bumpy ride and that you will have to try harder than anyone else (I'm Swedish, and have been in the same situation abroad myself, so I know just how frustrating it can be). My advice is to have as much as possible sorted before you get here and have an exit plan in case things don't work out for you. I wish you the best of luck!
+
Svedallas
post 7.Jul.2017, 01:47 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Sthlm83 @ 7.Jul.2017, 02:13 PM) *
Working in marketing & communications myself, I can say that it's a field with a lot of competition. On the other hand there's also steady stream of job postings w ... (show full quote)

I agree. The field is extremely competitive.
Unless you have a lot of experience, good connections, have previous experience working for multi-million dollar companies it will be tough.

Also, in that field, there are more and more Swedes who are moving back with studies/working in the US and UK with more experience + language. If you were a EU citizen there would be a small chance, but also the added challenge of having ask employers for a work permit as well, would be considerably hard.
+
the_austrian
post 7.Jul.2017, 01:50 PM
Post #6

I fully agree with Sthlm83. It took me one year to find an entry-level English-speaking journalist job and I work alongside Swedish professional journalists with a Bachelor's and 4-plus-years of experience. I hold a Master's with 4-plus-years of experience, but I earn quite a bit less than them wink.gif Simply because I do not yet speak Swedish at a full professional level. That you should consider.
+
TNic
post 8.Jul.2017, 12:07 AM
Post #7

Thank you so much for the feedback y'all!
+
Hek
post 8.Jul.2017, 05:03 AM
Post #8

If you are a Trump fan please reconsider...
+
Bsmith
post 8.Jul.2017, 12:06 PM
Post #9

I doubt that is the case, most Americans aren't as witnessed by his low approval rating. The next morning after the election results were apparent, I was absolutely delighted that Hillary had lost and absolutely terrified that Trump had won. Nothing I have seen since has changed my mind.
+
BhuBhuKaZoo
post 10.Jul.2017, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Adding to this -

In europe, Design and Marketing are areas where (I making generalisms here before anyone say's anything or throws a chart at me!) - there is simply more candidates than posts. In that instance, you will find it tough. It's just the way it is and for sure, conversational swedish will get you far...

I mean, I don't speak amazing swedish but I can understand the Skane accent almost fluently so I take that as a win! tongue.gif and can speak it pretty conversationally. That makes people immediately think - "Hey, this guys at least trying to speak Swedish". It makes a difference so for sure, if you can hit up a course or at least try Duolingo...and get roughly conversational...it will help but be prepared for zero replies and rejections smile.gif

Good luck...im sure you will find something though...GOTTA BE POSITIVE!!!
+
TNic
post 10.Jul.2017, 05:18 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (BhuBhuKaZoo @ 10.Jul.2017, 05:44 AM) *
Adding to this - In europe, Design and Marketing are areas where (I making generalisms here before anyone say's anything or throws a chart at me!) - there is simply mo ... (show full quote)

Do you think it would be easier to find a job in a different field? Maybe Human Resources? Or even Finance?
+
Svedallas
post 10.Jul.2017, 05:31 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (TNic @ 10.Jul.2017, 06:18 PM) *
Do you think it would be easier to find a job in a different field? Maybe Human Resources? Or even Finance?

HR and Finance definitely need native level Swedish
+
Svedallas
post 10.Jul.2017, 05:43 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (TNic @ 10.Jul.2017, 06:18 PM) *

I suggest you read this. 4 years old. But still relevant, but due to Brexit and refugee crisis, it would be best to stay in the US...but good luck.

https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...showtopic=55640
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 10.Jul.2017, 05:49 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Hek @ 8.Jul.2017, 04:03 PM) *
If you are a Trump fan please reconsider...

Maybe Trump is the reason she wants to leave..
+
Svedallas
post 10.Jul.2017, 05:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 10.Jul.2017, 06:49 PM) *
Maybe Trump is the reason she wants to leave..

As Brexit is also another reason why people are leaving too...
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,799 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles