Reply to this topic

What is Mathematics 3c or D compared to in America

No clue what courses i need to take to mee Reqs

Stefen1990
post 15.Jul.2017, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Im looking to apply to LNU in Sweden as soon as i can. But the requirement for my degree study i wish to do is Mathematics D or 3c as a pre requirement. I am in America and have no clue what 3c or D would equate to here. Ive tried to do some research and cannot really find anything that helpful. So im just wondering, what course Mathematics D or 3c would be for me? I want to make sure i have the classes completed before applying. and if i dont i want to try and do them quickly. My current class level here in America that i have reached is Intermediate / advanced Algebra. The next class up is the start of basic understanding of pre-calculus.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 15.Jul.2017, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Unfortunately this page is in Swedish but if you click the link for different levels then you will get an idea of what they are studying

https://www.matteboken.se/provbank
+
Gjeebes
post 15.Jul.2017, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Ask for a syllabus of maths D and 3c and a full course description. Get going on google translate and then compare to your most recent/next/available courses.

Basically the whole thing will go based on interpretation that the course in the USA is a near equivalent to the one in Sweden. And even if you can more or less prove it is an equivalent, it doesn't mean Sweden will budge. It tends to think of its own "brand" of education as superior, for some obscure reason (which is also not at all supported by relative PISA rankings).

Of course, you could likely just take the exam in Sweden, and you will find out pretty quick if you can do it (in a scraping the bottom of the barrel or "bare" minimum mathematical dexterity sense). In lieu of a good match, it could work that you take an "adult" pre-course, that would bring you up to speed (assuming that is available in Sweden).

+
TLSucks
post 15.Jul.2017, 12:34 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Stefen1990 @ 15.Jul.2017, 12:11 AM) *
Im looking to apply to LNU in Sweden as soon as i can. But the requirement for my degree study i wish to do is Mathematics D or 3c as a pre requirement. I am in America and ha ... (show full quote)

https://translate.google.se/translate?sl=sv...&edit-text=

Maths 3c is essentially trigonometry, calculus and some basic use of numerical software like Matlab/Octave.
+
ChocOwl
post 15.Jul.2017, 12:58 PM
Post #5

https://www.skolverket.se/laroplaner-amnen-...g=sv&tos=gy
Skolverket has some information (in Swedish).
+
intrepidfox
post 15.Jul.2017, 01:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 15.Jul.2017, 11:57 AM) *
Of course, you could likely just take the exam in Sweden, and you will find out pretty quick if you can do it (in a scraping the bottom of the barrel or "bare" minim ... (show full quote)

I have done Maths A,B,C,D,E and F in Sweden. Getting a pass is really easy for people that are even not interested in the subject I was, so i got higher grades than the others
+
Sthlm83
post 15.Jul.2017, 01:24 PM
Post #7

No clue what they equate to in the US, but at least I can say that Mathematics D is a course level in the old system, which ranged from A to F, with F being most advanced. Mathematics 3c is the equivalent course level in the new system, which I believe goes up to level 5 (in case you wondered why there are two different levels).
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,776 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles