3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden.

Help and advice

Jpk55
post 27.Jul.2017, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Hello all,

This is my first post, I am 26 and from the UK. I am moving to Sweden in September/October.

I am hoping you can give me tips and advice. I have been told that Sweden is a very Cashless country. My main concern is that I will be driving over and filling up at petrol stations. If I use my UK bank card but it gets blocked for being used overseas, as much as it's just a call to the bank, I would need a back up.

Are travel money cards a good idea?

Thank you

Jamie
Go to the top of the page
+
Svedallas
post 27.Jul.2017, 11:17 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (Jpk55 @ 27.Jul.2017, 11:30 AM) *
Hello all,This is my first post, I am 26 and from the UK. I am moving to Sweden in September/October. I am hoping you can give me tips and advice. I have been told that Sweden ... (show full quote)

Have you ever been to Sweden?
+
Bsmith
post 27.Jul.2017, 11:20 AM
Post #3

Call your bank prior to your move and inform them of your travel plans,
+
delta76
post 27.Jul.2017, 11:22 AM
Post #4

The number of shops that only take card is increasing, but still a majority accepts cash. So prepare yourself and have a few thousands of knonor in cash should be helpful.
+
Jpk55
post 27.Jul.2017, 11:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 27.Jul.2017, 11:17 AM) *
Have you ever been to Sweden?

No, I have never been to Sweden. Thank you for your replies.

Jamie
+
Svedallas
post 27.Jul.2017, 11:57 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Jpk55 @ 27.Jul.2017, 12:44 PM) *
No, I have never been to Sweden. Thank you for your replies. . Jamie

So you are just moving to Sweden, without knowing anything about Sweden?
+
Jpk55
post 27.Jul.2017, 12:03 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 27.Jul.2017, 11:57 AM) *
So you are just moving to Sweden, without knowing anything about Sweden?

No I am moving to Sweden with a job, I just thought I'd ask on here for more information.

Maybe I have upset you?

Do you know I don't know anything?

My employer told me it was a very Cashless country, all I wanted to do was ask a question. As without ever being there it's quite hard to know. I will be working and living in Överkalix, but I can't just magic myself there. And will need to stop and spend money.

Maybe this wasn't the place to ask questions? And ask people for advice?
+
Svedallas
post 27.Jul.2017, 12:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Jpk55 @ 27.Jul.2017, 01:03 PM) *
No I am moving to Sweden with a job, I just thought I'd ask on here for more information.Maybe I have upset you?Do you know I don't know anything?My employer told me i ... (show full quote)

Most people would visit a country once or at least a couple of times before moving.

+
Jpk55
post 27.Jul.2017, 12:13 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 27.Jul.2017, 12:08 PM) *
Most people would visit a country once or at least a couple of times before moving.

Correct, most. The people that do not have the money to visit a country at least once can't do that. I was given an opportunity and have taken it.

I train sled dogs in the UK and going to train sled dogs in Swedish Lapland, once there I am in the kennel, eating, sleeping, living, but need to travel almost 900 miles to that destination through Sweden.

If you want to help, please do.

If all you want to do is spew negativity. Then I shall go elsewhere for information.
+
Svedallas
post 27.Jul.2017, 12:16 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Jpk55 @ 27.Jul.2017, 01:13 PM) *
Correct, most. The people that do not have the money to visit a country at least once can't do that. I was given an opportunity and have taken it.I train sled dogs in the ... (show full quote)

Still. Any job offer, whether the person has the money or not, if they had an opportunity, would visit the country anyway. It's called due diligence, not negativity. You're obviously offended by me asking these very short simple questions...

Good luck in your adventure.
+
Bsmith
post 27.Jul.2017, 01:03 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Jpk55 @ 27.Jul.2017, 11:13 AM) *
Correct, most. The people that do not have the money to visit a country at least once can't do that. I was given an opportunity and have taken it.I train sled dogs in the ... (show full quote)

There are so many who come to Sweden these days with their hands out, looking for taxpayer funded freebies that we "old timers" here on TL can get a little jaded. Sorry.

Your opportunity sounds fun and I can see why you jumped at the chance. Have fun!
+
intrepidfox
post 27.Jul.2017, 02:48 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Jpk55 @ 27.Jul.2017, 12:13 PM) *

Good luck Jamie. Ignore our resident negative trolls. Unfortunately Sweden is becoming a cashless society with many banks not dealing with cash anymore ( i live in a major city and my nearest bank with cash is an hour away) but i never have a problem with my Visa when i go back to the UK.

Have a great time when you are over here and i´m sure that you will enjoy youself

+
maxrax
post 27.Jul.2017, 03:01 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 27.Jul.2017, 03:48 PM) *
Good luck Jamie. Ignore our resident negative trolls. Unfortunately Sweden is becoming a cashless society with many banks not dealing with cash anymore ( i live in a major cit ... (show full quote)

This. Most people learn to just ignore the trolls/haters here on this forum.

As for paying for petrol, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the pumps we've driven to have a connected store where you can pay in cash if you don't pay directly at the pumps. Good luck!
+
ChocOwl
post 27.Jul.2017, 03:33 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (maxrax @ 27.Jul.2017, 04:01 PM) *
This. Most people learn to just ignore the trolls/haters here on this forum.As for paying for petrol, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the pumps we've driven to have ... (show full quote)

+1

Note: some petrol stations are unmanned ie you can only pay with a card, however unless it is a very small town there will probably be an option with staff so you can pay cash.
+
gse1986
post 27.Jul.2017, 07:13 PM
Post #15

I drove to Sweden last September, and had no issues with card being blocked.

I used at the time a post office credit card, which doesnt charge fees for using abroad - another useful card could be monzo - you can use it without charge across the world, and you top money up.

What other things do you need to know? How much do you know about Sweden?
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,802 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles