3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Regaining Swedish Citizenship

Lost Citizenship after moving to Canada as a kid

6Living
post 1.Aug.2017, 11:42 PM
Post #1

Hey everybody,

I was born in Sweden 29 years ago. I lived there for 6 years before my parents moved to Canada. In 1999, my parents became Canadian Citizens, which automatically made me become a Canadian Citizen and because at the time Sweden didn't allow Dual Citizens, I believe we had to give up our Swedish citizenships.

I have a birth certificate and I would really like to regain my Swedish Citizenship. Does anybody know if that's possible? Also, my parents weren't born in Sweden(Or anywhere in the Europe).
Go to the top of the page
+
egads
post 1.Aug.2017, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Rest easy, eh!

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...itizenship.html
+
6Living
post 1.Aug.2017, 11:55 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (egads @ 2.Aug.2017, 12:49 AM) *

Thanks!

Do you know anybody that has done this??
It says that they could refuse your application. Is there any reasons they would refuse your application?
Do you know how long it takes?
+
egads
post 2.Aug.2017, 12:05 AM
Post #4

Sorry. Nope. But trust the process; it's there to be helpful and not to be an impediment.

Contact the Swedish Embassy near you; I'm sure they can help you fill out the forms (it says the forms are in Swedish) and answer your remaining questions.

Good luck (with your new life in Sweden)
+
Svedallas
post 2.Aug.2017, 09:00 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (6Living @ 2.Aug.2017, 12:55 AM) *
Thanks!. Do you know anybody that has done this??. It says that they could refuse your application. Is there any reasons they would refuse your application?. Do you know how long it takes?

They will refuse, on the basis that you do not have any close ties to Sweden.

If you do not have ANY Swedish family that you visit often or close to, or have been back and forth to Sweden over the 29 years, you're looking at a fairly clear rejection. Also, as your parents are not Swedish there is no automatic right either.

Birth is never automatic right, especially if relationship with the country was never maintained.

You cannot be born somewhere, and expect to have an automatic right, especially if the right was abandoned. EU citizenship laws are strict. And it is expected that to regain citizenship, there needs to be a very clear relationship why, and who.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Aug.2017, 09:23 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 2.Aug.2017, 10:00 AM) *
They will refuse, on the basis that you do not have any close ties to Sweden.If you do not have ANY Swedish family that you visit often or close to, or have been back and fort ... (show full quote)

As your parents are not only not Swedish and not from EU, the right will be seen as abandoned. 29 years - I wouldn't even apply.
+
6Living
post 2.Aug.2017, 04:07 PM
Post #7

So what do I need to do if I would like to het citizenship back to europe?
+
Svedallas
post 2.Aug.2017, 04:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (6Living @ 2.Aug.2017, 05:07 PM) *
So what do I need to do if I would like to het citizenship back to europe?

Read above link.
You lost your right.
+
iamaho
post 2.Aug.2017, 06:02 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (6Living @ 1.Aug.2017, 11:42 PM) *
Hey everybody,I was born in Sweden 29 years ago. I lived there for 6 years before my parents moved to Canada. In 1999, my parents became Canadian Citizens, which automatically ... (show full quote)

Were your parents even Swedish citizens? Or did they just have residency rights at the time? If they were not, then you have no chance of regaining citizenship.

From Migrationsverket:
Citizens of other countries
You can get back your Swedish citizenship if you

have reached the age of 18
have a permanent residence permit in Sweden
have lived in Sweden for a total of ten years and
have now lived and been registered in Sweden for two years.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Aug.2017, 06:34 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (iamaho @ 2.Aug.2017, 07:02 PM) *
Were your parents even Swedish citizens? Or did they just have residency rights at the time? If they were not, then you have no chance of regaining citizenship.From Migratio ... (show full quote)

Incorrect.

Should have applied by 22 years of age.
+
6Livin
post 2.Aug.2017, 07:31 PM
Post #11

It says over here that since 2015 you can regain citizenship if you lost it because your parents moved to another country. I was a citizen in Sweden, I didn't just live there. Why would I not even bother applying when this clearly says I have a elegibility? It never hurts to give it a try. What's with the discouragement? Even if I get rejected from this, there are still countless other ways to immigrate to EU countries.

The laws changed in 2015 and I called the Swedish Consulate and they said that I'm elegible. So no reason to tell me to not even bother. Maybe you are one of the people that don't want immigrants in your country?

Anyways, if this does get refused. My question was, what are other options to immigrate to Sweden? There obviously is other ways.

Also, what you mentioned in the previous posts. Is not mentioned in here. Not a single thing you said is mentioned there.

_________
If you lost your Swedish citizenship as a result of becoming a citizen of another country, you may now regain it by submitting a request to the Swedish Migration Agency.

As of April 1, 2015, you can regain your Swedish citizenship by submitting a notification request if you:

lost your Swedish citizenship as a result of applying for, or agreeing to become a citizen of another country, or
as a child, under the age of 18, automatically became a citizen of another country as a result of your parents becoming citizens of that country, or
lost your Swedish citizenship as a result of going into public service for another country.

If the notification concerns a child under the age of 18, the parents/legal guardians must sign the notification form. If you have sole custody of your child, your signature is enough.

Children age 12 and older must co-sign the form. Exceptions can be made if a child cannot give consent due to a permanent mental disorder or a similar circumstance.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Aug.2017, 07:53 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (6Livin @ 2.Aug.2017, 08:31 PM) *
It says over here that since 2015 you can regain citizenship if you lost it because your parents moved to another country. I was a citizen in Sweden, I didn't just live th ... (show full quote)

If you are a Swede born and raised overseas (your case) then you automatically lose your Swedish citizenship when you turn 22 years old unless you notify them that you want to keep it. If one parent was a native Sweden, then it is by birth. Not by right.
There is a difference.

So your right has been lost. Since you do not want to do the research and read:

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...itizenship.html

You should have registered before 22. The only alternative is to apply to a resident and live in Sweden for a number of years.

Also, this is not migrationsverket. Contact them directly to get your direct answer.
+
6Livin
post 2.Aug.2017, 08:11 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 2.Aug.2017, 09:00 AM) *
They will refuse, on the basis that you do not have any close ties to Sweden.If you do not have ANY Swedish family that you visit often or close to, or have been back and fort ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 2.Aug.2017, 07:53 PM) *
If you are a Swede born and raised overseas (your case) then you automatically lose your Swedish citizenship when you turn 22 years old unless you notify them that you want to ... (show full quote)

I was born in Sweden.

"The only alternative is to apply to a resident and live in Sweden for a number of years."

That's a much better solution if this doesn't work out. Anyways, I am going to bother applying. I called the Swedish Embassy and they said I'm elegible. I have to call the Swedish Migration for exact details.

I will let everybody know how it goes. I know you're wishing that I fail so you can say you were right. If I fail, maybe you can give me some pointers on how to immigrate there.

+
6Livin
post 2.Aug.2017, 08:14 PM
Post #14

I've been meaning to call them but I have to wake up at 5 am to be able to do that as Sweden is 9 hours ahead of where I am in Canada.
+
Svedallas
post 2.Aug.2017, 08:27 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (6Livin @ 2.Aug.2017, 09:11 PM) *
I was born in Sweden."The only alternative is to apply to a resident and live in Sweden for a number of years."That's a much better solution if this doesn't ... (show full quote)

No, it is just that the information is there in black/white to be researched!

Also, there are similar threads as yours from people who have had the same question over and over and received rejection due to the same change in law.

22 years seems to be a cut off time if abroad, and not notified the authorities.
Your case is harder, as your parent are not Swedish and not EU. You could have been classed as stateless, but the cut off would have applied, in any case.

But this law has changed many times in 10 years, and will continue to change.
Contact MV.

https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?s...showtopic=85795
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,282 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles