2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

I want to work whatever it takes!

Where to search or look for to find a job?

ismailsafwat
post 17.Sep.2017, 09:06 PM
Post #1

It has been more than one month that I have moved to sweden. The problem is here that I cannot speak swedish at all. I speak fluently in English and have good knowledge of computer. Been involved in many startups before, and interested in entrepreneurship.
I just can't sit and do nothing. I appreciate any thing you can tell to guide me.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 17.Sep.2017, 11:18 PM
Post #2

You may have to think outside the box and do a job outside of your area. I was a school teacher in the US and got a job working at a moving company. Not my field, but it was a paycheck.
+
flaneur
post 18.Sep.2017, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Well you can work at my office instead of me because I fucking hate it.
+
ismailsafwat
post 18.Sep.2017, 11:47 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 18.Sep.2017, 03:48 AM) *
You may have to think outside the box and do a job outside of your area. I was a school teacher in the US and got a job working at a moving company. Not my field, but it was a paycheck.

As I said the problem is that I cant speak swedish. Although I heard that, there are some jobs that needs only English. However I have no problem on working out of my field.
+
ismailsafwat
post 18.Sep.2017, 11:49 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (flaneur @ 18.Sep.2017, 12:12 PM) *
Well you can work at my office instead of me because I fucking hate it.

Haha, okay. I agree but what is your job? and I live in Nässjö (3 hours far from Stockholm)
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 19.Sep.2017, 10:04 AM
Post #6

If you will really do whatever it takes, I'm sure there are many undesirable jobs around. Everyone speaks English anyway. I don't speak Swedish and I found a job.
+
Bsmith
post 19.Sep.2017, 12:12 PM
Post #7

It is possible to find a job but you really have to put in the effort.
+
ismailsafwat
post 19.Sep.2017, 06:57 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Mistress_Of_Doom @ 19.Sep.2017, 01:34 PM) *
If you will really do whatever it takes, I'm sure there are many undesirable jobs around. Everyone speaks English anyway. I don't speak Swedish and I found a job.

Please guide me!
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 20.Sep.2017, 09:20 AM
Post #9

Don't be useless. How can I guide you? You need to look for yourself. There are seasonal jobs. There are restaurant jobs. There are delivery driver jobs. You obviously haven't looked hard enough. Maybe go up to businesses yourself and introduce yourself? It's better than waiting around for something to fall on your lap.
+
Sthlm83
post 20.Sep.2017, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Work on expanding your Swedish network - even unqualified jobs tend to be filled by friends of other employees. Join local clubs, a football team, a book club, whatever really, where you meet other locals. Be forward and take initiative, but don't be too "pushy", let the relationships grow naturally.

Best of luck!
+
BhuBhuKaZoo
post 20.Sep.2017, 11:15 AM
Post #11

Positivity. You must stay positive and actively go and search for work.

Someone will employ you. Even if it's a Starbucks but you need to have some grasp of Swedish to help you. You can get jobs, particularly in places like pubs and bars but yeah. My advice is sign up to SFI courses and treat that as a whole day job. Start at 9, finish at 3 or 5. Couple of months of that and you should at least be able to follow conversations and grasp the language.

It'll give you some confidence and hey, you will get somewhere. You just have to positive and make it your job..to find a job.

No-one is else is going to help you as such. It's gotta be you.
+
intrepidfox
post 20.Sep.2017, 01:21 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (BhuBhuKaZoo @ 20.Sep.2017, 11:15 AM) *
Positivity. You must stay positive and actively go and search for work. Someone will employ you. Even if it's a Starbucks but you need to have some grasp of Swedish to hel ... (show full quote)

A very positive and correct post. I hope that other people read what you have written as many people want everything served on a plate
+
ismailsafwat
post 20.Sep.2017, 03:10 PM
Post #13

Thank you very much everyone for your nice messages! There is a big misunderstanding I guess.

I must say that I am not waiting for anyone to put something in my plate. It has been one month I am in sweden and I have sent 1000 CVs (not literally).
Yeah, I have submitted my request for SFI and I am waiting for it. I am aware how much swedish is important. But till learning swedish, I want to work somewhere for gaining experience and possibly widening my network here.
+
flaneur
post 21.Sep.2017, 02:47 PM
Post #14

There is no "till", start learning Swedish now. Don't sit there and wait for SFI registration approval. Watch Youtube tutorials, read Swedish newspapers out loud (when you're alone of course), listen to Swedish music and watch Swedish movies with English subtitles.

SFI is not gonna do wonders for you, nor will it teach you Swedish. You need to put a lot of effort in it independently. It took me 2 years to start speaking it almost fluently even though I could understand the written language after 6 months of living here.

You sent out your CV, that's good. How does it look like? Make it look professional, don't just write it down in Microsoft Word making it look like a cooking recipe.

The motivational letter is also quite important. You're not supposed to "beg" for a job, you're supposed to present yourself in a way that will make an employer want to meet you and eventually hire you.

The second thing is, you're not willing to work whatever it takes. If you don't appreciate yourself enough to know your value, then no employer will do it either.
+
Bsmith
post 21.Sep.2017, 02:56 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (flaneur @ 21.Sep.2017, 02:47 PM) *
The second thing is, you're not willing to work whatever it takes. If you don't appreciate yourself enough to know your value, then no employer will do it either.

Normally, I would agree with you, flaneur, but Sweden is not normal. At least, not the normal I was used to. Besides, I think the OP is talking about just getting a job to work at while improving his grasp of the Swedish language and, thereby, becomes more employable.

That's why I took the job at a moving company. Not much Swedish was required and I could continue my SFI while earning a paycheck. Also, I learned a lot of words and phrases at work I never would have learned at SFI!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,802 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles