Reply to this topic

Citizenship application wait time

How long does it take these days?

LockStock
post 21.Sep.2017, 09:50 AM
Post #1

We (family of married, non EU citizens, with one kid) have lived in Sweden for a little over 6 years now and have had a permanent residency for the last 1.5 years. Moved here as expats, and have had flawless record (i.e. always worked, paid taxes, no unpaid debts or any other thing). We started contemplating about applying for citizenship as we will probably live here for the foreseeable future. But the issue is that it seems we need to hand over our passports. Due to my job I have to travel extensively abroad (actually, on top of normal business trips, I need to pass the border everyday technically as I am working in Copenhagen but living in Malmo). I am aware that I have the right to ask for passport to be handed to me temporarily for the duration of a planned trip, but in a given month I have at least 2 trips that require me travelling to other countries. I can probably arrange with my employer that I don't travel as extensively for the period of the citizenship application time. But I have two questions:
1. Anybody from the "The Locals" who applied for and received their citizenship recently? How long did it take for you?
2. Is anybody aware whether the application time can be impacted by having such a circumstance as I have i.e. job related frequent travel?
Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page
+
flaneur
post 21.Sep.2017, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Honey, you missed the section.
+
LockStock
post 21.Sep.2017, 10:27 AM
Post #3

What do you mean by "you missed the section"? It is Life in Sweden isn't it?
+
flaneur
post 21.Sep.2017, 10:28 AM
Post #4

https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showforum=69

Enjoy!
+
notreallyblond
post 28.Sep.2017, 05:15 PM
Post #5

I applied last week, and you no longer have to send in the passport, I had to upload a copy of it.
+
HiSweden
post 28.Sep.2017, 06:42 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (notreallyblond @ 28.Sep.2017, 05:15 PM) *
I applied last week, and you no longer have to send in the passport, I had to upload a copy of it.

Really? Was that stated that you do not have to send your passport by post with your application?

+
axiom
post 29.Sep.2017, 12:43 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (notreallyblond @ 28.Sep.2017, 04:15 PM) *

That sounds a little doubtful, double check:

Du fyller i din ansökan på webben. När du fyllt i din ansökan ska du skriva ut och posta den. Skriv under din ansökan och skicka med dokumenten som styrker din identitet i original.

+
BhuBhuKaZoo
post 29.Sep.2017, 09:15 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (LockStock @ 21.Sep.2017, 10:50 AM) *
We (family of married, non EU citizens, with one kid) have lived in Sweden for a little over 6 years now and have had a permanent residency for the last 1.5 years. Moved here ... (show full quote)

From what I know, as you are someone from outside the EU, you will have to wait a long while until you can apply (about 3.5/4 years I believe).

Further, I believe that as you are travelling within the EU, Copenhagen to Malmo and vice versa - you could use your identity card (from Skatteverket) as your formal ID document. I would encourage you to test it on your next journey. If so, then your question becomes mute.

I have had two friends in the office here apply for citizenship recently. One with a Swedish partner and two children born in Sweden, a U.S. citizen and having residency in the EU for 9 years with 5 of those in Sweden and he was able to get his application completed within 4 weeks.

The other, a national from outside the EU who had first studied and now has been here for 7 years applied for citizenship also and it took him almost 2 years. This is partly because he married a non EU resident here and she moved here to study also.

As you can see, it differs greatly between different people. Why? Generally it is to do with how many links you have here, how settled you are here and what you contribute to Sweden. This may be wrong to many but it is how the system works (similarly in the U.K. also).

In both instances, they were not asked to surrender there passports as I recall however, they were told that as they had relinquished their visa's (applying for citizenship), that if they were to leave Sweden, they may not be allowed to return as they have no Visa. This is of course more significant for you if you must travel between two countries.

At the time when you deem it fit to look into citizenship, I would contact someone at your consulate (for information about whether you could have dual-citizenship, this is important for you) and also Migrationsverket. They should be able to help you with all the information you require.

Good luck!
+
Martian
post 29.Sep.2017, 07:40 PM
Post #9

No need opening a duplicate thread on a topic. As you can see from post #4, someone has already helped you with the link to a big thread (30 pages) on the same topic.
+
rex
post 30.Sep.2017, 07:49 PM
Post #10

Anywhere from a few days to a few years. The decision depends on many factors so it's hard to predict how long it's going to take *you personally*.

p.s. A former colleague of mine got a positive decision for his case in two days.
+
Kalyissa
post 4.Oct.2017, 04:20 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (axiom @ 29.Sep.2017, 12:43 AM) *
That sounds a little doubtful, double check:Du fyller i din ansökan på webben. När du fyllt i din ansökan ska du skriva ut och posta den. Skriv under din ansökan och skic ... (show full quote)

I have a friend who works for MV he said just send in a colour photocopy and they will request if they want the real passport.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,794 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles