Reply to this topic

Driving licence rules

1 year limit?

Hopgood
post 21.Sep.2017, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Hi

Does anyone know the rules on driving in sweden with a foreign driving licence? I thought I had read on here that you could carry on using your driving licence with no problems, but yesterday I heard that there is a one year time limit, after which you have to convert the licence to a Swedish one.

My licence is from UK and I've been in sweden just over a year, so what would I need to do to comply with the rules? Is it a simple application form or do I need to do a driving test?

Pointers towards the necessary info would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+
gsurya
post 21.Sep.2017, 02:26 PM
Post #2

Since, I am moving to Sweden next month, I recently looked up this information. Rules depend on where you are migrating from. Since I am from India, its 1 year for me.

https://www.korkortsportalen.se/upload/doku...al/engelska.pdf
+
Bsmith
post 21.Sep.2017, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Yes, 1 year seems to be the rule. However, I did meet someone who never bothered with it and had not been stopped in 10 years.
+
Case officer
post 21.Sep.2017, 03:17 PM
Post #4

On Monday this week somebody was sentenced at Attunda tingsrätt for olovlig körning for driving in Sweden with a drivers license from India for seven years. The sentence was 30 dagsböter * 190 kronor.
+
BhuBhuKaZoo
post 21.Sep.2017, 03:55 PM
Post #5

Hey,

So from what I am aware, as long as you have an EU driving license, that is enough to drive in Sweden with that license. You don't need to change it but, if you want to, you can exchange it for a Swedish one if you so wish.

The link gSurya has posted is excellent and provides all the information you need.

I personally like my British License. But yes, if you are from outside the EU or EEA zone, you will have to exchange it and...I believe you may need to be retested also so watch out for that.

Good luck!
+
axiom
post 21.Sep.2017, 05:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Hopgood @ 21.Sep.2017, 01:10 PM) *
HiDoes anyone know the rules on driving in sweden with a foreign driving licence? I thought I had read on here that you could carry on using your driving licence with no prob ... (show full quote)

If you have a U.K. license there is no need to change it. You are free to drive with it as long as it is valid. However if you wish to change it then the U.K. one will be cancelled since EU rules doesn’t allow you to have two EU licenses at the same time. It is a direct swap there is no need to do a test or any extra driving classes. Just fill out the form pay the fee and wait.
+
Gjeebes
post 21.Sep.2017, 07:06 PM
Post #7

When I went to change my Finnish DL I was told it was not necessary in Sweden because EU is EU. After Brexit, well, that's another story, but until then you need not do anything.

Like was stated, if you will remain in Sweden forever, then it would make some sense to switch it, considering Brexit and such.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,717 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles