Reply to this topic

Now it has become clear to me

why Christmas lasts so long in Sweden...

Bsmith
post 14.Jan.2018, 02:27 PM
Post #1

When we, as Americans, lived in Sweden, there were some customs that we never understood. For example, for us when Christmas is over, it is over. Throw out the tree, take down the decorations and box them up for next year. But no, not in Sweden. When we drug our tree out to the burn pile a few days after the blessed event, we got stink eye from the neighbors. Weeks later, as if on cue, all of our Swedish neighbors removed their trees on the exact same day. How was this coordinated, I wondered? Now I know:

https://www.thelocal.se/20180113/why-swedis...only-just-ended
Go to the top of the page
+
Gjeebes
post 14.Jan.2018, 02:55 PM
Post #2

"...we got stink eye from the neighbors..."

You weren't being an obedient little robot, like your good neighbours.

For shame.

I get stink eye from drivers (in the form of the traditional passive-aggressive Swedish blinking of the headlights), when I drive past a long queue of cars needlessly waiting to enter a round-a-bout in the right-lane, using the completely empty, wide-open, left-lane (of a double lane road).

I could guess for them, they feel cheated, as though I had barged in front of them in the queue at the cashier! At least I do hope!

And just for an update, I have now seen two more vehicles in recent days, turn their right-turn signals on, whilst simply driving round a right-handed bend in the road (with no exits in sight), and then turn them off again, once the bend straightens out.

I'm sure, Swedes being Swedes, this will at some point also become as popular as signalling left, whilst exiting a round-a-bout, to the right.
+
HelloAll
post 14.Jan.2018, 05:40 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 14.Jan.2018, 02:27 PM) *
When we, as Americans, lived in Sweden, there were some customs that we never understood. For example, for us when Christmas is over, it is over. Throw out the tree, take do ... (show full quote)

Geez man it's easy to just google this stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_Sweden

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 14.Jan.2018, 02:55 PM) *
You weren't being an obedient little robot, like your good neighbours.. For shame.

Chill dude, it's just a tradition
+
Bsmith
post 14.Jan.2018, 05:44 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (HelloAll @ 14.Jan.2018, 04:40 PM) *
Geez man it's easy to just google this stuff

What, and spoil all the mystery.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: