2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

is it safe?

study in Malmo

galujulia
post 11.Mar.2018, 01:35 PM
Post #1

Hi. I'm Julia and I'm from Poland. As a 17 year old girl, my next step in my education is to choose studies. A huge dream of mine is to study English Studies, in Sweden, Malmö. Unfortunately, there's been a lot of rumors about safety in Malmö, which not only concerns me but also my parents and might be a main problem in deciding whether I should really go there and live there for 3 years, as for Bachelor's programme lasts. I've been doing a lot of research about this topic, finding mixed opinions and not being able to decide at all. My main concern is crime level and a lot of rape-related information. I would like to know any opinion from a person who lives there (it would be the best believable opinion).
Go to the top of the page
+
Uncle Fred
post 11.Mar.2018, 05:33 PM
Post #2

I don't live in Malmö but I have been there many times and it is a nice city. However there are regular reports of numerous types of crime.
It has a large number of immigrants that have very different cultures and don't always get on. I think it depends on what area you choose, as I said I don't live there so cant help you with that.
I hear of areas where it's fairly bad and the police wont do anything. According to the website "Top Tens" it is one of the most dangerous cities in Europe.

https://www.thetoptens.com/most-dangerous-cities-europe/

Saying all that there are about 7000 Polish people living in Malmö, so maybe they have a website in Polish.
+
Uncle Fred
post 12.Mar.2018, 07:58 AM
Post #3

I noticed your English is rather good at the moment, did you learn that in Poland.
Why do you want to study English studies in Sweden when you could go to the UK where there are 100's of 1000's of Polish people you could meet up with.
+
oar
post 12.Mar.2018, 09:40 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Uncle Fred @ 11.Mar.2018, 05:33 PM) *
I hear of areas where it's fairly bad and the police wont do anything. According to the website "Top Tens" it is one of the most dangerous cities in Europe.https ... (show full quote)

That ranking seems to be based on people voting - not any actual statistics. It's completely worthless.

Statistically, large cities in Sweden are quite safe. I'm sure the odds of you being harmed in Malmö are considerably lower than they would be in Warsaw for example. The statistics on rape are skewed for a number of reasons, but I can tell you that young women typically feel very safe.

But I also agree that it's a little strange that your dream is to study English in Malmö. There isn't a particularly highly ranked university there, and Sweden is not a native-english speaking country.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Mar.2018, 10:13 AM
Post #5

Any city can be dangerous if you enter the wrong areas, you must be aware of your environment at all times, it's a matter of "street smart"...
+
Saywhatwhat
post 12.Mar.2018, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Yes what an odd dream to seek English studies in Malmo. Why not go to an English speaking country?

I don’t know about London or cities in UK, but most US cities are probably less safe, but you’d still be safe there.

Go to Chicago if you want to be by polish people. I heard they have or had more polish people than anywhere outside Warsaw
+
Cheeseroller
post 12.Mar.2018, 04:17 PM
Post #7

A friend of mine from Germany visited Malmo for the weekend. I warned her against this, but finally she agreed to spend the Saturday in Copenhagen. Sunday morning she went to get her car from the hotel car park underground. Every one of her car windows had been smashed in.

Malmo is a sh!t hole of a place. Car arsons, drug gang shootings, etc. I would not live there even if someone paid a ton of money.

+
DuneSunny
post 12.Mar.2018, 04:59 PM
Post #8

I would not choose to study in Malmö - it has become very dangerous if you are not living in one of the really up-market posh areas. If you want to study in that part of Sweden - then I would try Lund University - a much nicer place to live.
+
CatMom
post 12.Mar.2018, 05:34 PM
Post #9

I do not know first hand as to the safety of Malmö. I do know that statistically there are higher incidences than other places, and especially when it comes to some other countries relating to rape. But in this case it is like comparing apples to oranges. Often what one country reports as a crime anther may not and therefore the crime rates may look lower. There is crime in all cities, yes some have more and this can also be different in different areas of a city. Make sure that before writing a specific city off or assuming one is 100% safe all the time is pointless. I used to live in a "bad" neighborhood in New York City, I ended up feeling safer there then in many other places I have lived through out the United States.
+
gsurya
post 12.Mar.2018, 07:46 PM
Post #10

I have now lived in Sweden for 2+ years over 2 periods of stays. I have never even seen a single crime, let alone experience one.

Yes, there are some specific areas in Malmo which became drug & crime pockets, and this has affected the city's reputation. But this is now improving too.

Looking beyond this, Malmo is a lovely multicultural city with cost of living lower than its bigger city counterparts in Sweden or across the bridge.
+
Apache001
post 12.Mar.2018, 08:04 PM
Post #11

It is absolutely safe to live and study in Malmo, and you have many Polska living in Sweden. Last time I was in Helsingborg I met many of them, so you could always enjoy your weekends there.

I believe most of the crimes in Malmo are gang related and you don’t belong to any gang, so you are going to be fine my dear.
+
Uncle Fred
post 12.Mar.2018, 08:30 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (gsurya @ 12.Mar.2018, 07:46 PM) *
I have now lived in Sweden for 2+ years over 2 periods of stays. I have never even seen a single crime, let alone experience one. Yes, there are some specific areas in Malmo ... (show full quote)

No one believes anything you say and you know why.
+
Bsmith
post 12.Mar.2018, 08:57 PM
Post #13

He also has a used car for sale. Low miles, only driven to the Mosque on Sundays.
+
gsurya
post 12.Mar.2018, 09:19 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 12.Mar.2018, 07:57 PM) *
He also has a used car for sale. Low miles, only driven to the Mosque on Sundays.

Ignorant & bigoted SweNazi, exhibit-A laugh.gif automatically assumes any non-white Swede must be a Muslim.
+
Bsmith
post 12.Mar.2018, 10:11 PM
Post #15

Ees a joke, senor. Look it up.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: