Reply to this topic

How to determine jurisdiction for a lawsuit

Tingsrätten demands proof that they're responsible

toddysho
post 13.Mar.2018, 01:47 PM
Post #1

I've recently begun a lawsuit (tvistemål) at my local tingsrätt where I'm registered as living and have now received a reply from the court that my application is incomplete and that I must, among other things, somehow "prove" that that court is responsible for the matter:

uppgift om de omständigheter som gör att denna tingsrätt är behörig att pröva målet.

I cannot even fathom what this means or how this could ever be demanded by any court; How on Earth do I "prove" that this is the court I'm supposed to go to? The suit is against a Swedish company, and I'm registered as living in the area. What more do they want? My brain simply can't process this at all.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Go to the top of the page
+
hatim
post 13.Mar.2018, 01:58 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (toddysho @ 13.Mar.2018, 01:47 PM) *
I've recently begun a lawsuit (tvistemål) at my local tingsrätt where I'm registered as living and have now received a reply from the court that my application is in ... (show full quote)

Hire a lawyer perhaps.
+
toddysho
post 13.Mar.2018, 02:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (hatim @ 13.Mar.2018, 01:58 PM) *
Hire a lawyer perhaps.

...meaning that I would in about one session spend more than I could regain from the lawsuit; I see you're trying to be helpful but please only answer if you can help me with the actual issue. This isn't the first place I've gone to for advice.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 13.Mar.2018, 06:35 PM
Post #4

Have you called the court and asked to specify what kinds of documents are necessary to prove they are the court to handle the case? If they are unable to specify what is needed other than what you have given them then I would suggest to go there in person to speak to someone. Otherwise I don’t know... seems like, as you also believe, you’re in a situation that shouldn’t be a situation.
+
john.boy
post 13.Mar.2018, 07:11 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (toddysho @ 13.Mar.2018, 01:47 PM) *
The suit is against a Swedish company, and I'm registered as living in the area. What more do they want? My brain simply can't process this at all.

It was a very valid question from the court since they only have jurisdiction over a certain area. You are suing a Company, so in this instance you need to submit your application to the Court where the company's Board is officially registered. If it was a private person, then you submit the application to the court where that person was registered as living on the prior 1st November (check, I might have the wrong month).
+
toddysho
post 13.Mar.2018, 07:27 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (john.boy @ 13.Mar.2018, 07:11 PM) *
It was a very valid question from the court since they only have jurisdiction over a certain area. You are suing a Company, so in this instance you need to submit your applica ... (show full quote)

Well, Konsumentrådgivningen explicitly told me to submit it to that court, which is why I did, so does that mean that I've lost 900kr in court fees because they're idiots?
+
hatim
post 14.Mar.2018, 09:32 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (toddysho @ 13.Mar.2018, 07:27 PM) *
Well, Konsumentrådgivningen explicitly told me to submit it to that court, which is why I did, so does that mean that I've lost 900kr in court fees because they're idiots?

You are going through a lawsuit and you are worried about possibility of losing money/time.

I think you may want to reconsider what do you hope to achieve out of all this and if doing it your self is wise.

It is not fair , but lawsuits are suppose to be expensive and you will have to deal with idiots all along the way.
+
DuneSunny
post 14.Mar.2018, 11:16 AM
Post #8

If it is a company with which you have a contract - if you have purchased something from them either in the form of goods or services - then it will be stated in the small print which court is to be used in the case of a dispute.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: