Reply to this topic

Citizenship By Marriage

Once Divorced Swede

rljones
post 14.Mar.2018, 06:32 PM
Post #1

I've been in a relationship with a Swedish citizen for over a year now and have visited her there numerous times. I want to move forward with our relationship, but I'm afraid that I since she has married a noncitizen prior that immigrated to Sweden that it would not be possible for us to live together within the country. Does anyone know where I can find any information as to this specific set of circumstances? I've not been able to find anything on my own.
Go to the top of the page
+
wondering_again
post 14.Mar.2018, 07:14 PM
Post #2

in Sweden polygamous marriages are allowed ..... happy.gif

so I hear
+
rljones
post 14.Mar.2018, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Haha! Well, she's been divorced for a while. Just trying to see if I can become citizen via marriage despite her already having gone through this process already.
+
Svedallas
post 14.Mar.2018, 07:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (rljones @ 14.Mar.2018, 07:25 PM) *
Haha! Well, she's been divorced for a while. Just trying to see if I can become citizen via marriage despite her already having gone through this process already.

citizenship is based through fullfilling residence or direct family.

cant marry for citizenship...
+
rljones
post 14.Mar.2018, 08:00 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 14.Mar.2018, 07:53 PM) *
citizenship is based through fullfilling residence or direct family.. cant marry for citizenship...

I guess I'm asking whether or not I will be able to move to Sweden to be with her. The terminology may be off, but essentially I'm asking if her having gone through this process of moving a foreign citizen to Sweden, would it then be impossible for us to go through that same process?
+
Martian
post 15.Mar.2018, 05:26 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (wondering_again @ 14.Mar.2018, 07:14 PM) *
in Sweden polygamous marriages are allowed .... happy.gif . so I hear

Can you elucidate what you mean by this?
+
wondering_again
post 15.Mar.2018, 08:55 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Martian @ 15.Mar.2018, 05:26 AM) *
Can you elucidate what you mean by this?

https://www.thelocal.se/20170919/did-a-swed...ree-wives-nacka
+
mjennin2
post 15.Mar.2018, 12:28 PM
Post #8

Of course you can file for uppehållstillstand. Especially since her divorce was finalized a long time ago, as you seem to allude. So long as you can provide easy evidence of the "realness" of your relationship and that you have met up a lot, you meet the qualifications on that end.

Depending on the circumstances of the previous relationship your partner had, you may get an asshole case officer who feels the need to do some extra investigation to ensure that your partner isn't trying to farm people in for permits laugh.gif But based on what little you've shared, you'll be able to receive a temporary residence permit so long as she can meet the maintenance requirements.

I suggest you ask your question in this facebook group too, to see if others have experience as well: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=i%20...3%A5%20familjen
+
rljones
post 15.Mar.2018, 03:56 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (mjennin2 @ 15.Mar.2018, 01:28 PM) *
Of course you can file for uppehållstillstand. Especially since her divorce was finalized a long time ago, as you seem to allude. So long as you can provide easy evidence o ... (show full quote)

I guess I was being pretty vague. In short, she went through a rough divorce about two years ago. I met her maybe six months after it all happened. We've been "dating" for almost a year. Within that time frame I've been to Sweden twice and she's been here once.

I get that folks would think that she was using her citizenship to potentially move folks into the country, but that isn't what this is. I'm just in love with someone and would really like to be able stay with her in Sweden. I can understand that we would probably fall under a lot of scrutiny simply because I would be the second relationship with a noncitizen who would want to live within the country.

I'll check out the links that you've provided. Thank you!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: