Reply to this topic

When to notify employer re parental leave?

as I am on probation until shortly before birth...

northernlad
post 25.Mar.2018, 06:51 PM
Post #1

My wife is due to give birth in mid August. As it's twins, they are very likely to be 1-2 months early, so could be any time from 2nd half of June.

We only moved to Sweden, and I only started working, in December. Just in time for the parental leave requirement to have worked for 240 days before the birth... I am on probation for the first 6 months, ie until early June.

I am planning initially on taking the 20 days leave that it is required to take shortly after the birth, and then I'll take several months off next year.

My question is when should I tell my employer? I think the rules say at least 2 months before I want to take the leave. I know I'm not in a great position as long as I'm on probation. But waiting until June is likely to be too late. And I don't want to annoy my boss by telling him too close to the date. In any case, this is Sweden...?! plus my employer generally has a good reputation with these kind of things.

Thoughts / experiences welcome, esp from people who have been on probation...
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 26.Mar.2018, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Maybe by now, your employer has decided whether they are going to keep you or not. If they want to keep you, they will also likely have decided what you will do, or keep on doing. In which case it is better to tell them sooner, so they can plan.

If they have decided not to keep you then it won't make much difference. Maybe (being Swedish) they haven't had enough meetings to make their mind up yet, then you might just tip them over the edge...

Unless you are being paid a large salary, and they offer top-up, then it isn't an economic decision as FK will be paying your paternity leave. But it is a practical one.
+
northernlad
post 31.Mar.2018, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Thanks yet another brit. My understanding is that coming off probation should(!) be more or less a formality, plus the (albeit fairly limited) feedback on my performance so far at work has been positive. So hopefully this wouldn't be what tips them over the edge...!
+
globetrotter
post 17.Apr.2018, 11:57 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (northernlad @ 25.Mar.2018, 06:51 PM) *
Just in time for the parental leave requirement to have worked for 240 days before the birth...

Where did you get this information from northernlad? Could you please post a link?

Basically, my wife and I are moving to Sweden in May. We are pregnant and the estimated due date is in mid-sept. So I am going to be/we are going to be in the same situation as you are in - just slight change in the timing. So your posts and replies have been very informative to me too - thank you!
+
TLSucks
post 17.Apr.2018, 02:20 PM
Post #5

https://www.forsakringskassan.se/privatpers...m8uw!!/

If you have worked for at least 240 consecutive days before the estimated delivery date
Parental benefit that is based on your income is called parental benefit at sickness benefit level. To receive parental benefit at sickness benefit level, you must have had an annual income of at least SEK 82,100 for at least 240 consecutive days before the estimated delivery date. You do not need to have worked at the same workplace or had the same income the entire time, but rather it is the number of days with income that is important.

If you have not worked for at least 240 consecutive days before the estimated delivery
If you have worked fewer than 240 consecutive days before the child is born, you receive SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level for the first 180 days that are taken out for the child. This is equivalent to about SEK 7,500 a month.

After you, the other parent or you both together have taken out 180 parental benefit days, you receive parental benefit based on your income, but a minimum of SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level.
+
globetrotter
post 17.Apr.2018, 03:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (TLSucks @ 17.Apr.2018, 02:20 PM) *
If you have worked fewer than 240 consecutive days before the child is born, you receive SEK 250 per day at sickness benefit level for the first 180 days that are taken out fo ... (show full quote)

Thank you TLSucks!

My wife and I are moving to Sweden in mid May and I have been offered a permanent job. We are pregnant, with estimated delivery date in Sept. So we will not have completed the 240 days of working before the baby is due.
Does this mean we will still get 480 days of parental allowance, but first we have to exhaust the 180 days at SEK 250 a day and then the remaining at 80% of my income?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Popular articles