Reply to this topic

reporting money earned before entering Sweden?

tax newcomer skatteverket

ToSheila
post 16.Apr.2018, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Hey forum followers,

I assume this is stupid question -- but yet again, there are not stupid questions! smile.gif

We moved to Sweden in September 2017., and I transferred all my savings to Swedish Bank (as soon as I've got an account -- I think it was end of Sep or beginning of October). The Bank asked me to explain the transfers -- to show/prove from where I earned the money, and I've provide my working contracts to the Bank, and everything is fine.

Now, it is April, that time of year, taxes should be in sync. I've got papers from Skatteverket and inside was stated my income from my job since September.

Which leads us to the question: should I (and how if so) report what I've transferred in September, the money which was earned before my movement to Sweden?

Tack!
Go to the top of the page
+
TLSucks
post 16.Apr.2018, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Since this money was not earned while you were living in Sweden there is no obligation to report it. There is no tax on savings.

The bank asked about the origin since they have a legal duty to prevent money laundering, i.e. it is unrelated to tax collection. The tax office may ask similar questions to determine if it is taxable or not. However, you are not required to report it to them since it is not an income.
+
ToSheila
post 16.Apr.2018, 06:58 PM
Post #3

TLSucks smile.gif -- thanks.

Do you have any source for that? It's not that I don't trust you or other but I would love to read it.

TIA!
+
Essingen55
post 17.Apr.2018, 07:15 AM
Post #4

He is correct. They were savings, not income. However, you are still obliged to report any income from outside Sweden.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Popular articles