The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Landlord says I wasn't allowed to use the address

And now he is kicking me out for this reason

Aleen
post 10.Jun.2018, 01:05 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone,
I'm in a very uncomfortable situation at the moment. I recently rented a room in a shared apartment. Signed the contract in May, the person I'm renting from is also the one sharing the apartment with me (so my landlord and roommate at the same time) I asked him if he was the owner of the apartment and he replied yes, so I signed the contract. After signing the contract I did the next logical thing to do: changed my address.

Here's the problem, my landlord/roommate realised I registered on the address last Friday and he is really upset about it, to the point of kicking me out.
He told me that in Sweden you can't register to an address if you are just renting a room (you can only do so if you own the place) which is highly suspicious in my opinion. Before renting the room, I was working as an aupair and the family registered me on their address as I was living with them. They also told me to change the address once I moved somewhere else as it is important for legal matters.

Nothing was specified in the contract or when we talked about the rules and for me the change of address is something you are obliged to do in a legal way. I'm really worried that he wasn't actually allowed to rent the room and that I'm implied in some black market thing.
The fact that he wants to break the contract and want me to move out as soon as possible is even more suspicious. He doesn't want to talk about it and said that I'm the one who did something wrong.

To add more problems, I will be travelling in the end of June and until half of July which give me only two weeks to find a new place and move all my stuff...

Is he actually allowed to kick me out for this reason ? Do I have any rights to protect myself ?
Is there anyone I can/should contact to help me ?
I don't want to have any troubles if the renting wasn't legal. I will definitely move out but now is really not the best time and I'm in complete panic as how I'll be able to find a solution...
Go to the top of the page
+
wallace1837
post 10.Jun.2018, 01:16 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Aleen @ 10.Jun.2018, 02:05 PM) *
Hi everyone,I'm in a very uncomfortable situation at the moment. I recently rented a room in a shared apartment. Signed the contract in May, the person I'm renting fro ... (show full quote)

It is quite common for Swedes to make money out of their apartment and collect housing allowance at the same time. If you register there, it changes the amount of money they receive from the state.

The whole thing is completely illegal, but really common and tolerated. He will get away with no problems, and you will suffer all the troubles.

Welcome to Sweden, where victims are punished and perpetrators are glorified.
+
vosovicd
post 10.Jun.2018, 01:28 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Aleen @ 10.Jun.2018, 02:05 PM) *
Nothing was specified in the contract or when we talked about the rules and for me the change of address is something you are obliged to do in a legal way. I'm really worr ... (show full quote)

Based on your description of your circumstances, you have done nothing wrong. It sounds as if your landlord might be in a pickle and is trying to wriggle out.

What does your contract say about prematurely ending the rental period?
+
Aleen
post 10.Jun.2018, 01:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (vosovicd @ 10.Jun.2018, 02:28 PM) *
Based on your description of your circumstances, you have done nothing wrong. It sounds as if your landlord might be in a pickle and is trying to wriggle out.What does your co ... (show full quote)

That's what I'm thinking because he really doesn't want to talk about it and it in a hurry to kick me out.

It say "Termination of the contract must be made in writing. The contract may be terminated by the tenant at the end of the month which occurs no earlier than 1 month from the termination. The landlord may, if the tenancy is not forfeited, terminate the contract at the monthly change which occurs not earlier than 3 months from the termination. The contract will end at the end of the rental period as the tenant will not move. The contract can also be terminated before this date. Termination of the contract must be made in writing. If no other agreement has been agreed between the tenant and the landlord, the tenant is not entitled to renewal of the contract n 2017 Art n 92210013-BudeFg AB 7 392620210031"

We haven't written anything for the termination of the contract tho, it was only said out loud, can I play on that to win some time ?
+
Aleen
post 10.Jun.2018, 01:55 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 10.Jun.2018, 02:16 PM) *
It is quite common for Swedes to make money out of their apartment and collect housing allowance at the same time. If you register there, it changes the amount of money they r ... (show full quote)

Really ? So even if I contact the building association or the rental tribunal, nothing will be done ?
+
Cheeseroller
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:00 PM
Post #6

^^The contract is important. You/they should be able to give notice. We allowed three months when we rented our apartment.

You could also possibly threaten to report them to Skatteverket - they are obviously nervous.

An alternative is to rent a post box in the post office.
+
vosovicd
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:01 PM
Post #7

I'm not sure I fully understand the wording of your contract but it sounds like your landlord has to give you three months notice prior to termination?? I may be wrong....

Also, PLEASE contact the building association or the rental tribunal AFTER you move out! It is important that this d*ckhead-of-a-landlord does not try and do this with another foreigner. Save all written correspondence between the two of you as well (e.g. the advertisement, the emails, the contract etc.)
+
Cheeseroller
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:03 PM
Post #8

It may also be worth considering to give the contract to a friend for safe keeping, if there is any risk the landlord could access it when you are away and destroy it (or put in a rented post box).
+
Aleen
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:10 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (vosovicd @ 10.Jun.2018, 03:01 PM) *
I'm not sure I fully understand the wording of your contract but it sounds like your landlord has to give you three months notice prior to termination?? I may be wrong...A ... (show full quote)

Ah it's actually a translated version we made but the original one in swedish say this if it more clear "Uppsägning av kontraktet ska ske skriftligen. Kontraktet kan av hyresgästen sägas upp att upphöra vid det månadsskifte som inträffar tidigast efter 1 månad från uppsägningen. Hyresvärden kan, om hyresrätten inte är förverkad, säga upp kontraktet att upphöra vid det månadsskifte som inträffar tidigast 3 månader från uppsägningen. Kontraktet upphör vid hyrestidens slut da hyresgästen utan páminnelse ska flytta. Kontraktet kan också sägas upp att upphöra före denna tidpunkt. Uppsägning av kontraktet ska ske skriftligen. Har inte annat överenskommits mellan hyresgästen och hyresvärden har hyresgästen inte rätt till förlängning av kontraktet n 2017 Art n 92210013-BudeFg AB 7 392620210031"

I think it also say 3 months plus the termination must be made in writing which he hasn't done yet...

I will definitely file a complain and make sure it doesn't happen again to someone else!
+
Aleen
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:12 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 10.Jun.2018, 03:03 PM) *
It may also be worth considering to give the contract to a friend for safe keeping, if there is any risk the landlord could access it when you are away and destroy it (or put in a rented post box).

I proposed him some solutions like the post-box but he really doesn't want to hear anything and just want me to move.

I will keep the contract with me but I'm also worried about all my belongings that might stay there if I haven't found a new place while I'm traveling... Will have to ask friends to store everything to be sure, that is such an annoying situation!
+
Aleen
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:20 PM
Post #11

It has been pointed out that the reason he doesn't want me to register at the address might be because he is receiving some financial help of some sort.
Which made me realise that he is a student. Me using the address oblige him the declare the money he is getting while renting and could make him loose the help he receive with his studies ?
+
wallace1837
post 10.Jun.2018, 02:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (wallace1837 @ 10.Jun.2018, 02:16 PM) *
It is quite common for Swedes to make money out of their apartment and collect housing allowance at the same time. If you register there, it changes the amount of money they r ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Aleen @ 10.Jun.2018, 03:20 PM) *
It has been pointed out that the reason he doesn't want me to register at the address might be because he is receiving some financial help of some sort. Which made me real ... (show full quote)

Exactly!
+
ChocOwl
post 10.Jun.2018, 03:35 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Aleen @ 10.Jun.2018, 03:12 PM) *
I proposed him some solutions like the post-box but he really doesn't want to hear anything and just want me to move.

Just in case this is not clear, you cannot register a PO Box as your residential address. You must register your residential adress as the actual place you live. You can of course get your mail sent to a PO Box.
+
Aleen
post 11.Jun.2018, 09:48 AM
Post #14

I have a question regarding the notice to leave, does it start the moment you receive the termination or is it a calendar month ? (For my case starting the 1st of July?)
In my contract it's stated "Hyresvärden kan, om hyresrätten inte är förverkad, säga upp kontraktet att upphöra vid det månadsskifte som inträffar tidigast 3 månader från uppsägningen. [...] Kontraktet kan också sägas upp att upphöra före denna tidpunkt. Uppsägning av kontraktet ska ske skriftligen." ("The landlord may, if the tenancy is not forfeited, terminate the contract at the month change which occurs not earlier than 3 months from the termination. [...] The contract can also be terminated before this date. Termination of the contract must be made in writing.")

Can I use this and say that my month notice will start on the 1st of July and not half June ?

(And stupid question but do I have to pay the rent of July if I do not stay the whole month ?)
+
ChocOwl
post 11.Jun.2018, 10:28 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Aleen @ 11.Jun.2018, 10:48 AM) *
I have a question regarding the notice to leave, does it start the moment you receive the termination or is it a calendar month ? (For my case starting the 1st of July?)In my ... (show full quote)

I don't know the answer but there is lots of info on tenant rights here: https://www.hyresgastforeningen.se/
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: