Reply to this topic

Building plumbing system repair - tenant rights

What are my tenant rights during building repair?

gterreni
post 9.Aug.2018, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Hey all,
I'm renting an apartment in Helsingborg with regular contract since 2 years.

During this winter the building started to show some problems with the plumbing system (i.e. another tenant was without hot water for >1 month).
We now received a notice that for 4 days in the next week there will need to be repairs and every tenant in the building will not be able to use water.
No bathroom, no shower, no kitchen.
This is not a condition I can consider living, even temporarily (who knows they are gonna finish the work in time...).

What are my rights?!?

I also have a dog so I'm not VERY keen in just asking my landlord just to pay for a hotel for me and my wife: to me he should also pay for a hundspensionat.

Thanks for any reply,
/Giorgio
Go to the top of the page
+
gterreni
post 9.Aug.2018, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Some additional information:

in addition to not being able to use the drain, they are also asking access to our apartments during the works (which are going to go on during unspecified times from 13/8 09:00 to 17/8 17:00):

I work during office hours and my dog stays at home during this time. Letting strangers access my apt with a german shepherd home doesn't sound like a good idea for neither of us.

What should I do ?!?

Help!
+
gterreni
post 9.Aug.2018, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Update: it could be my apt is the only to have received the notice from landlord (or at least my floor's neighbor didn't)
+
ChocOwl
post 9.Aug.2018, 05:37 PM
Post #4

there is probably some useful info on the tenant association website, have a look there: https://www.hyresgastforeningen.se/stod-och-rad/
+
Gjeebes
post 10.Aug.2018, 01:01 PM
Post #5

The average Meatballian landlord is a cheap bastard who couldn't give a flying f' bout you, or your dog.

You will not be put up at a hotel, and your dog definitely won't be sent to a kennel, courtesy of said slumlord.

Any rights you do end up having, will mean nothing, and you will be in for a fight, to have the most basic decency sent your way.

In any case, it is likely all in your contract that you must go along, at your own expense. Check that before you start making demands that aren't realistic (and they won't be, even if they should be).

Count yourself lucky, at least you have a place to live.

MAKE SURE you have a warning sign up (in Swedish) on your entrance door, to indicate there is a dog inside.
+
gterreni
post 10.Aug.2018, 01:50 PM
Post #6

hey Guys,
I decided to join hyresgastforeningen to get their help.
First thing: they advised to write an email to the owner asking for compensation first, and then decide what to do next when he replies.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: