The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Changes to radiotjänst fees

Tv license abolished?

MisterDuck
post 22.Nov.2018, 04:21 PM
Post #1

So today I had a flyer with my junk mail and being pretty bad at Swedish I only understood part of it - that the TV license fee charged via radiotjänst will be abolished from January 1st and instead everyone will pay via skatteverkat. Did I get that right so far?

So, naturally I expected that the amount to be paid under the new system will be less - 10million people paying for something should cost less per person than however many millions confessed to owning a tv under the old system, right? Well my wife is telling me it's going to cost something like 2300 kr per year, which is more than the old tv license - am I missing something?

I did get a good laugh when I was told the justification for charging people who don't own a tv is "the politicians say it's good for everyone". I'm assuming they haven't actually watched svt recently, or perhaps the truth is the politicians think it's good for themselves that their propaganda is spread via the state broadcasters, so as to guarantee the public keep supporting the system they have their bread buttered by.

Yours grumpily...
Go to the top of the page
+
Svedallas
post 22.Nov.2018, 05:46 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (MisterDuck @ 22.Nov.2018, 04:21 PM) *
So today I had a flyer with my junk mail and being pretty bad at Swedish I only understood part of it - that the TV license fee charged via radiotjänst will be abolished from ... (show full quote)

Everyone will have to pay for tv and it will be part of their tax.

The only ones exempt from paying are those in a low tax bracket, basically students and pensioners only.

An unfair policy if you as me, as those who dont own a tv are still paying for those who do...and multiple tvs at that! They should be paying per tv.

https://www.thelocal.se/20181115/sweden-scr...out-the-new-tax
+
MisterDuck
post 23.Nov.2018, 08:47 PM
Post #3

It's scandalous if you ask me. People who don't even own a tv or radio paying 1% of their income?
+
TheExpatEagle
post 23.Nov.2018, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Firstly it isn't 10 million people who will be paying the tax because children and people below a threshold will be exempt. So maybe it will be 8 million or even 7?

Secondly it isn't just for tv or radio. It is for any internet ready device that can download or stream tv channels. That rule was changed a couple of years ago to include all mobile phones, tablets, computers and so on.

Thirdly being a single person it means the tv licence will cost less.

Fourthly it isn't only for tv and radio services. Much like the BBC the fee covers a wide range of services such as the state news and whatnot.

Fifthly I don't agree with the tax nor the licence as it stands today. I'm just clarifying the above points.

Sixthly I've never paid for a tv licence in the UK or in Sweden so now I will have to. That's life. They provide news in English which is a service and does a better job than this excuse of a website. smile.gif
+
MisterDuck
post 24.Nov.2018, 04:02 PM
Post #5

Thanks expatEagle for your clarifications. If you've successfully dodged the tv license in U.K. then you must have a high threshold for ignoring threatening letters and turning a blind eye to scare stories about vans with spinning aerials on the roof. In Sweden it always seemed that correspondence from Radiotjänst had a more civil tone, perhaps they thought that all they needed to do was educate the public about how to pay, then sit back and collect the shekels from the flood of conscientious swedes. Well, now the demographic is changing and it's out with "pay us if you need to" and in with "pay us whether you like it or not".

Well anyway, as you say it is just life, but nevertheless I'm sure there's a few book loving hermits who have eschewed modern media and will be feeling somewhat grumpy when their tax returns arrive next year.

In the meantime I'd better seek out that news in English you mentioned, as I wasn't aware of that one. Where might it be found?
+
TheExpatEagle
post 24.Nov.2018, 08:35 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (MisterDuck @ 24.Nov.2018, 04:02 PM) *
Thanks expatEagle for your clarifications. If you've successfully dodged the tv license in U.K. then you must have a high threshold for ignoring threatening letters and ... (show full quote)

Yepp I had a high threshold for ignoring the TV licence people, I knew their adverts were lies about having detector vans. To be fair I only had my own flat for 5 years before I left and I never answered the door.

I follow the same principle here in Sweden, if I haven't invited anyone over why would I answer the door? These days it is easier as the port telephone goes to my mobile.

Don't get me wrong, I am not happy to be paying the tax and I don't watch Swedish TV, I rarely watch TV at all but there isn't much we can do about it.

The news in English (and other languages) can be found over the airwaves in Stockholm under the guise of Radio Sweden. I no longer live in Stockholm but they used to have a nightly 30 minute news show.

It can also be found via podcasts though these days it is a 3 minute daily podcast and a 30 minute weekly podcast. There is also a website.

Information can be found at https://sverigesradio.se/radiosweden
+
MisterDuck
post 26.Nov.2018, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Thanks eagle - I was absolutely unaware of "Radio Sweden" but have now subscribed to their podcast. I suppose I really should be listening to the lätt svenska version instead, to help progress my learning of Swedish, but sometimes you just need something easy to digest.

I'm going to make an effort to find a few things to watch on svt play, to get some value for the mullah I'll be paying through my taxes next year!
+
DanBjorn
post 7.Dec.2018, 04:46 PM
Post #8

The tax is per person now. Something like 1300kr per person vs the old fee of like 2500 per household. So 2 people living in a house will be worse off under this system. A house with for example 2 parents and 2 "kids" over the age of 18 who still live at home will be much worse off, as all 4 will have to pay the fixed fee of 1300 each provided they're all earning.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 7.Dec.2018, 09:06 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (DanBjorn @ 7.Dec.2018, 04:46 PM) *
The tax is per person now. Something like 1300kr per person vs the old fee of like 2500 per household. So 2 people living in a house will be worse off under this system. A hou ... (show full quote)

All earning over a certain amount.

However if all 4 people are paying the licence fee they will only be worse off by 100kr a year. Why? Because they 2 kids are paying their fees themselves not the parents. ;-)
+
DanBjorn
post 12.Dec.2018, 03:12 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (TheExpatEagle @ 7.Dec.2018, 09:06 PM) *
All earning over a certain amount. However if all 4 people are paying the licence fee they will only be worse off by 100kr a year. Why? Because they 2 kids are paying their fe ... (show full quote)

The "certain amount" is very low such that it is not even worth bringing up.

I was talking about the household being worse off anyways.
+
TheExpatEagle
post 12.Dec.2018, 07:44 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (DanBjorn @ 12.Dec.2018, 03:12 AM) *
The "certain amount" is very low such that it is not even worth bringing up.. I was talking about the household being worse off anyways.

I don't think 13.600kr a month is such a low sum of money.

Most people won't be worse off. Single occupant households are better off and why should someone lose sleep if someone else they live with loses 109kr a month in tax t pay for it?

As I've previously stated, I don't pay it today but I don't have a problem paying it form January because it's fairer. I'm okay with everyone earning over 13.600kr a month are paying it more so single people or people on low income (pensioners, students, unemployed, sick, etc.) can pay less or not at all.

+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: